COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

a new subgenre of kpop (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Disclaimer: This is entirely subjective, and I know literally nothing about songwriting/production.

Yesterday WJSN came back with the pretty sick As You Wish:

And I noticed something about it. It seemed to follow a trend that I really enjoy. I'll call it melancholic romance bubblepop.
This "genre" is defined by an upbeat tempo, melancholic/wistful instrumentals, romantic/cute lyrics, and emotional vocals, and a general vibe of "desperation" or "longing".
This might be a bit of a stretch but I feel like this trend started last year with Love Bomb. Love Bomb is less bubblepop, but I would say the vocal ad-libs put it in this category for me.

and Oh! My Mistake-one of my favorite kpop songs.

Then this year Fancy, the sad/happy song of the year. In Fancy, the lyrics seem a bit desperate. "Hey you over there! I fancy you! it doesn't matter who likes who first...'cuz I need you!" The vibe is a bit more intense than say LOONA's Around You. Maybe I'm reading into too much (I am), but it seems a bit like twice is trying to get their love interest to notice them. This would explain the "sad" instrumental and impassioned, desperate vocals.

Then Feel Special, which was a bit more overtly "melancholic"-the lyrics reflect it.

and now WJSN. They really did great with the vocals. I think the saying as you wish has a sad air of it's own. Like, "I am doing this to make you happy because I like/love you."
personally I love it! I think part of having crushes and fancying people is melancholic in of itself. I like songs that are happy all the way through as well, but the sad undercurrent makes it more intriguing and more realistic? Maybe? I'm not sure how to explain it.
Sorry if this seems ramble-ly! I just love this new subgenre of melancholic romance bubblepop.
Let me know if there are any other songs that fit this category ,or if you think I'm wrong and dumb, or if there's something actual music theory the explains this whole concept!

Last edited:

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
Interesting sub genre indeed. Especially that description you gave.
I didn't know this existed, but I have called melancholy likeness to some metal bands in retrospect.
Gotta look out for this one.

I need more interesting genres on my phone musically speaking.

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Interesting sub genre indeed. Especially that description you gave.
I didn't know this existed, but I have called melancholy likeness to some metal bands in retrospect.
Gotta look out for this one.

I need more interesting genres on my phone musically speaking.
no it doesn't actually exist lol.
on a sidenote, however, I appreciate your sig and dp. I love the monogatari series.

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
no it doesn't actually exist lol.
on a sidenote, however, I appreciate your sig and dp. I love the monogatari series.
Oh.... how disappointing. Oh well, back to the drawing board then with music for me.
and thanks. I've had it on my back burner for many years and never got around to seeing it.
even though friends have told me I should (argh)

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Oh.... how disappointing. Oh well, back to the drawing board then with music for me.
and thanks. I've had it on my back burner for many years and never got around to seeing it.
even though friends have told me I should (argh)
you should! it's a good anime to watch and it makes you feel like you've watched an "intellectual" anime without being totally confused.

Last edited:

BlackpinkINSync

༺✮•°◤ 𝙀𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙖𝙣 ◥°•✮༻
Reactions Received
Website
www.ancestry.com
KS Coins
Fandom
𓂀 𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂 𓂀
Pronouns
𝙝𝙚/𝙝𝙞𝙢
you should! it's a good anime to watch and it makes you feel like you've watched an "intellectual" anime without being totally confused.
I don't stream since my net is lag city, so best get it at the shops here, which is like 2 minutes away.
I'll make it a b-day present for myself hmmmm.

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Love Bomb reminds me what 4minute used to do

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
that totally makes sense. I really can see that subgenre

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
totallllll bop it's one of my favourite 3Rd gen songs
it really is. i think one thing that makes it stand out is that isn’t aging. i think a lot of kpop songs sound a bit off after trends run dry, but the song is a timeless bop.

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
I disagree slightly, the synth and some of the video elements definitely call to mind a 80' vibe and some of these clothing fits into the 70's 80's but I think it is not.. timeless but fitting across times, because especially since that style came back into trend, but is toned down to be palitable for the modern listsner, it has elements that connect it across the past and the present, its not timeless but it's balanced well enough to fight in to quite a few places, and I'm sure it could hold that for a while into the future as well
yeah you said it much better lol. it has this nostalgic vibe to it that makes it work well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread