Discussion 📚📖BOOK SUGGESTION THREAD📖📚 (1 Viewer)

Jimimis

Star
Reaction score
Ship
Just finished A Trick of the Light by Lois Metzger

It’s been ages since I’ve read anything. Haven’t been able to keep myself interested, but finally!!! Broke outta my reading slump. it had a really quite interesting perspective on eds. It’s unique in the fact that it’s about a dude with anorexia instead of a girl. Everything was great up to the ending that was a bit questionable

Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

Chahee

Bada Bim Bada Boom Boom!
Reaction score
Ship
I'm reading Aya's Diary.

I think I'll read this book many times after this, whenever I feel like remembering what is important in life...

Jimimis

Star
Reaction score
Ship
Currently reading Dataclysm by Christian Rudder. It’s really cool! The author is one of the founder ppl at okcupid and it’s him dissecting some of the data they’ve gathered over the years about attraction, like the age preferences for both genders and the popularity of whites vs black vs asians vs etc .

• Wow
Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

Bookworm

Rookie
Reaction score
I've finally gotten round to reading "Halo: The Fall of Reach" by Eric Nylund and I'm loving it so much. I've already loved the games so it's easier I think, but it's still such a beautiful tragic story, and I love seeing how everything started.

I just hate the male gaze in it. The first time were introduce to the main female scientist character Dr. Halsey the author has to talk about her level of physical attractiveness. When we get to the scene with Blue Team prepping for their first combat mission, attractive is once again mentioned for both female members, Kelly and Linda. And they share a cute little moment to talk about clothes! I just... :wimwim: Male characters are never spoken of as "handsome" or anything either.

The silver lining is that once this stuff is mentioned, the author stops mentioning it and focuses on how badass the women are instead. But there really is no excusing it being there in the first place. I also noticed how all the men are allowed to be nervous about things, but all the women are just "Eh" or *yaaawn*

But it is a great book, otherwise... It's extremely tragic to dive into the heads of people groomed since they were six-years-old to become super-soldiers. And it's really heartfelt the bonds they come to form. I just wish someone, anyone, bothered to tell Eric Nylund to can the tropes.

Reactions: Lighterxx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)