Sensitive "Defunding the police" (1 Viewer)

Bookworm

Rookie
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of talk about this and a lot of people fundamentally misunderstanding what is meant by it. I'm not that familiar with all the intricacies of it, but very generally it speaks to the fact that American police departments have all-too-high fundings. You can see how a lot of those funds end up going to things like military-grade equipment, for example (and why?) That's what people mean by "defund the police."

I hear people say, "Well great, defund the police. Then there'll be no one around to stop a burglar or something!" Even if this was the intention, would you let protesters continue to suffer for your own peace of mind back home? "Well no, just reform the cops! Don't take them away!" Reform should happen, yes, but the overwhelming majority of cops in the US are bad apples. They corrupt the precious few who aren't, or else just peer pressure them to fall in line. If you just try to reform them while they still hold so much power, precisely nothing is going to change.

You have to defund first, allocate those funds to other professionals who specialize in things the cops don't, such as mental health and education, and then, once that power is taken away and healing has begun, then you can begin to heal the police. Not before.

TL;DR - Too much police funding in all the wrong places gives majority of corrupt cops incentive to be dicks, and minority of good cops to throw their hands in the air and just go with it. Take funds away, move them to better places, lead by better example, reform from there.

Ahsoka

♡ You are valid and loved ❤
Reaction score
Ship
Wreck
I agree, there's a difference between defund the cops and get rid of all cops everywhere forever and it's so annoying when people seem to not realize it no matter how many times you say it.

Reactions: Queen and Bookworm

Bookworm

Rookie
Reaction score
I agree, there's a difference between defund the cops and get rid of all cops everywhere forever and it's so annoying when people seem to not realize it no matter how many times you say it.
It really is frustrating. And, exactly! The meaning behind it has been said so many times already, but it seems a lot of people have chosen to just ignore it.

Reactions: Queen and Ahsoka

Ahsoka

♡ You are valid and loved ❤
Reaction score
Ship
Wreck
It really is frustrating. And, exactly! The meaning behind it has been said so many times already, but it seems a lot of people have chosen to just ignore it.
I told this to a friend and explained it and they said "but I just don't want crime to be everywhere" like dude I just explained it thats not whats happening :jisoosmh:

• Haha
Reactions: Queen and Bookworm

Bookworm

Rookie
Reaction score
I told this to a friend and explained it and they said "but I just don't want crime to be everywhere" like dude I just explained it thats not whats happening :jisoosmh:
Oh gosh... TT Yeah, a lot of people I know think this way too, It's just... :no:

Reactions: Queen and Ahsoka

Queen

Idol
Reaction score
There's a lot of misunderstandings around it some genuine and others just being maliciously ignorant.

Honestly, I think people believe the police are more useful than they actually are. Like people immediately jumped to "Well if there's no police then rapist wouldn't be caught" and it's just like sweetie.....the police are shit in those situations and I thought we went over this when the nation found out about the 200,000 rape kits backlogged across the nation.

People have also pointed out that they aren't that helpful in cases of domestic abuse, burglary, even murder since there's a 1 in 3 chance the police won't even find your killer (heck the thing that would be more helpful to stopping homicides in the US would be to have stricter gun laws/ban).

Reactions: Bookworm

amourpinks

Idol
Reaction score
the police are the reasons why "crime rate" is up because they over police every little thing. overpolicing will never work because cops abuse their power period.

also, the police are overfunded, they're given to much. take the money away from them and give it to other important programs...

Bookworm

Rookie
Reaction score
There's a lot of misunderstandings around it some genuine and others just being maliciously ignorant.

Honestly, I think people believe the police are more useful than they actually are. Like people immediately jumped to "Well if there's no police then rapist wouldn't be caught" and it's just like sweetie.....the police are shit in those situations and I thought we went over this when the nation found out about the 200,000 rape kits backlogged across the nation.

People have also pointed out that they aren't that helpful in cases of domestic abuse, burglary, even murder since there's a 1 in 3 chance the police won't even find your killer (heck the thing that would be more helpful to stopping homicides in the US would be to have stricter gun laws/ban).
Wow, I didn't even know about those stats. That's insane. Though I honestly can't say I'm surprised either, sadly...

Reactions: Queen

Queen

Idol
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't even know about those stats. That's insane. Though I honestly can't say I'm surprised either, sadly...
yep, its honestly horrifying and worse when you find out that a lot of people in jail are only there because they couldn't afford bail.

The only "crime" that seems to get punished is being poor

• Sad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)