COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Demon Slayer: Infinity Train becomes highest grossing movie in Japanese box office history (1 Viewer)

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Released on Oct 16 in Japan, the film has grossed 32.47 billion yen domestically already, surpassing the legendary Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" (2001) to become the highest grossing film in Japan of all time, beating all anime AND live action movies ever released in Japan :nakypog:

Movie goers have also flocked to the theaters, more than 24 million tickets have been sold since its release.

Worldwide, it is already the 3rd highest grossing anime movie of all time, behind only Your Name/Kimi no na wa and Spirited Away. But the gap is extremely little and the Demon Slayer movie will only be released for western audiences in 2021, so it should easily shatter all records.

I'm kinda surprised a movie released in the year of the pandemic managed to break these records but I think Japan has handled the Covid situation relatively well? And also the Demon Slayer phenomenon is real so :sanapray:

It is the direct sequel to the anime series and the story will probably continue after the movie in S2 :pepeheart:

Congrats to all Kimetsu no Yaiba enthusiasts. Stan best boi Tanjiro and best imouto Nezuko :sanapray:

@Anime

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
I was surprised when I saw this because I didn't think Demon Slayer would be this huge but apparently it is. Just gonna have to wait for it to be released in any streaming services here in Germany since I cant seem to find it on any totally other legal sites :wimwim:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Related stories:

I can't wait for it to be available everywhere holy shit :sj_weary:
Also I really miss going to the movies though we really can't with our Covid statistics here :yolk: It used to be my fav weekend hobby :umjicry:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I was surprised when I saw this because I didn't think Demon Slayer would be this huge but apparently it is. Just gonna have to wait for it to be released in any streaming services here in Germany since I cant seem to find it on any totally other legal sites :wimwim:
I knew it was popular but didn't really know the scale lol. Like for the most part of the last 20 years, One Piece has always been the best selling manga every year with very few exceptions.
In 2019, Demon Slayer beat One Piece for the first spot but it was pretty close:

But in 2020, Demon Slayer absolutely destroyed the numbers lmao:

sales.JPG

Source: Demon Slayer tops manga year-end chart, outsells Kingdom & One Piece by over 70 million copies

Absolutely ridiculous lol.

Even individual volume wise, the top 22 manga volumes sold were all Kimetsu no Yaiba wtf :jisoosmh:

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
I knew it was popular but didn't really know the scale lol. Like for the most part of the last 20 years, One Piece has always been the best selling manga every year with very few exceptions.
In 2019, Demon Slayer beat One Piece for the first spot but it was pretty close:

But in 2020, Demon Slayer absolutely destroyed the numbers lmao:

sales.JPG

Source: Demon Slayer tops manga year-end chart, outsells Kingdom & One Piece by over 70 million copies

Absolutely ridiculous lol.

Even individual volume wise, the top 22 manga volumes sold were all Kimetsu no Yaiba wtf :jisoosmh:
jesus that is ALOT, i just hope they dont drag it out as much as One Piece seeing how many episodes that has :welp:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
jesus that is ALOT, i just hope they dont drag it out as much as One Piece seeing how many episodes that has :welp:
Lol One Piece manga just released Chapter 1000 some days ago I think I wonder how much longer it's gonna be :yolk:
Are they even attracting new fans at this point or just selling to their existing fanbase.

Don't worry about Demon Slayer tho, the manga was already finished this year, so we should get a full anime adaptation without it being too long :sanapray:

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Lol One Piece manga just released Chapter 1000 some days ago I think I wonder how much longer it's gonna be :yolk:
Are they even attracting new fans at this point or just selling to their existing fanbase.

Don't worry about Demon Slayer tho, the manga was already finished this year, so we should get a full anime adaptation without it being too long :sanapray:
If they want any new fans they'd have to start way back at Chapter 1, who honestly has time for that????

And thats great to hear :junweary:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ReVeluv
And you love to see it.

DS has been just bodying the industry, period.

Can't wait to see it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread