COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Movie Disney Korea sued for monopoly on movie screens (1 Viewer)

Tiffany

Forever Alone
Reactions Received
Website
kpopsource.com
KS Coins
Fandom
SONE
Pronouns
Noona

Disney Korea
is being sued by a citizen's group.

'SARAMIN', a citizen's group, is suing Disney Korea for anti-monopoly laws on taking over movie screens. SARAMIN reported that as of November 23rd, 'FROZEN II' was being shown on 88% of Korea's movie theater screens. According to anti-monopoly laws, a business cannot hold over 50% of the market. They also pointed out that in France, no movie is allowed to be shown in more than 3 screens in one theater, and that in USA, the limit is 30%. As of now, moviegoers basically have no choice but to see 'FROZEN II' because nothing else is being shown in theaters.
I don't see why this can be an issue, frozen is amazing.

Source - Link

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Moa
Ship
I think it's because if you don't want to watch frozen, then there will be basically nothing else to watch. Also because they technically broke the law.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I am pretty certain that is not how monopoly works. First of all Disney does not own the theaters. Now if Disney owned them then I could see. Second of all it is the theaters choice to play Frozen that many times. As far as I am aware there is nothing dictating that theaters can only play a movie in X amount of theaters for X amount of time.

Now if you want ot speak of Disney and Monopoly then you might want ot look how many companies that Disney owns in regards to film and TV.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I get why Frozen 2 is being shown that way. It‘s a huge movie sequel that is definitely popular. Many people would want to see it, especially when they have kids.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
It's pretty uncommon to have movie airing in more than one screen in one theatre here. Usually most popular movies just get 3 to 4 airings a day, but different times. I'd guess that there was so much demand for Frozen II that the rooms would be full if they didn't add more screens for it.

I'm not sure if that's monopoly though. Movie theatre business has lot of icky things going on, but to me it kinda made sense why they were all showing Frozen II.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
It's not exactly monopoly but Disney can get away with it. They must have paid a huge sum of money for the amount of screens, which can't be matched by other studios. Plus, movie theaters know it will get packed audiences, so guaranteed revenue.

eclipsoul

barbie (2023) fan account
Reactions Received
Website
infiniteorbit.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Orbit
Pronouns
she/her
i firstly thought this was going to be related to the board game lmao :wimwim:
in all honesty, i get where they're coming from. yesterday i had to wait up until 10pm to see knives out because it was only shown twice while frozen 2 had 12 screenings so i understand them to some extent. with that being said, i don't think it's worth suing at all. they're just showing what people are willing to see and if the rooms are full, which is most likely the case, they're obviously going to add more screenings. also it just came out so it's probably only going to be like this for the first week or two.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Blink
It's not exactly monopoly but Disney can get away with it. They must have paid a huge sum of money for the amount of screens, which can't be matched by other studios. Plus, movie theaters know it will get packed audiences, so guaranteed revenue.
I bet the lawsuit is like peanuts to disney.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I bet the lawsuit is like peanuts to disney.
Where I live, you had multiple screenings of Frozen in English, and then additional screens of a dubbed version :lisalaugh:
Disney is too powerful, they own MCU and Star Wars too :sanapray:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Blink
Where I live, you had multiple screenings of Frozen in English, and then additional screens of a dubbed version :lisalaugh:
Disney is too powerful, they own MCU and Star Wars too :sanapray:
Yeah disney is like the overlord of the entertainment industry. Kinda like nestle which have their hands on virtually every country in the world.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Yeah disney is like the overlord of the entertainment industry. Kinda like nestle which have their hands on virtually every country in the world.
Everyone bowed down to Mickey Mouse sunbaenim

I still haven't watched Frozen 2 btw, was it good? :yolk:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread