Editing DNA and Genes (1 Viewer)

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Chemists have this thing called CRISPR and it can change human DNA, or baby DNA in certain ways.
A guy even made a baby that was resistant to AIDS. There are a lot of different things we can change within both humans, plants and animals if we ever unlock the secrets of DNA.

The thing is, people see it as an ethic dilemma and one that might spell disaster.
I agree on the disaster part, not so much on the ethic tho.
I see it as an absolute + in many ways and hope we can solve a lot of problems through it. There's also the evil side... where they could engineer certain types of animals that might be resistant to pesticides or a virus that's extremely hostile and so on...
What are your thoughts?​

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him
I hated this topic in school :kijoongstare:
The main problem always was that it will end up costing a lot to do that (cuz that's what Humans want, money, as if anyone would allow us to do this for free) and rich people can create their perfect babies, so it will be even harder for people who weren't born into wealth to get on the same level. And so the massive divide that we already have will be even bigger.

Depending on how this whole thing develops (if you will be able to make your kid smarter etc. connecting to what I said above) this will do more harm than good, obviously changing DNA so that you could be immune to various diseases is amazing but the greed that can come with it can be devastating too

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Fandom
MeU & MY
Ship
if even china is willing to lock up a guy for it,,, the world probably isn't ready for it
and I agree with what Reo said, depends how the whole thing develops; look at how inflated prices for insulin have become in the us
I think the issue raises some concerns about what should be the limitations of gene editing, as well as all the loopholes around them

DrowningFishy

Rookie
Reactions Received
Humans where not meant to play god. Playing with genetics is a new way to screw up our genetics more then incest ever did. It may not rear it's ugly head at first but eventually it will. Some naturally already have a mutation that makes them resilient to AIDs (mutation of the CCR5). Only down side is right now there is only like 10% of the population carry that gene... And probably why there where those that survived the black plague\. As much as we don't see it human evolution it is continuing. lord knows how humans could muck up things messing around in places we probably shouldn't.

Now if it's to save a child the risk of highly inheritable disease I can see.

PS: If your a Christian and cringe at the thought of evolution I am sorry your faith in your god is so fickle that science would threaten your beliefs. Evolution is real and is a threat to no one.

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Humans where not meant to play god. Playing with genetics is a new way to screw up our genetics more then incest ever did. It may not rear it's ugly head at first but eventually it will. Some naturally already have a mutation that makes them resilient to AIDs (mutation of the CCR5). Only down side is right now there is only like 10% of the population carry that gene... And probably why there where those that survived the black plague\. As much as we don't see it human evolution it is continuing. lord knows how humans could muck up things messing around in places we probably shouldn't.

Now if it's to save a child the risk of highly inheritable disease I can see.

PS: If your a Christian and cringe at the thought of evolution I am sorry your faith in your god is so fickle that science would threaten your beliefs. Evolution is real and is a threat to no one.
Lol I was actually gonna say that we can't play god if god doesn't exist :haylul:

I get what all of you mean tho. I don't find it unnatural tho, technology is what it is and whether we give evolution a push or not is up to us. I do see the potential downside tho, the fact that maybe we unadvertedly change something thinking it's good but it bites us in the ass later, smn like making ourselves tolerant to diseases but as a side-effect we get idk... a third eye where our belly button was :sj_weary:

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
Don't agree with this. Feels like it would be used to get rid of any type of birth defects like autism and downs. I don't think that is a step in the right direction, just the right step toward eugenics. The only thing I could see being beneficial, is eliminating diseases that are extremely harmful to an unborn child and a hopeful decrease in abortion (I hate abortion-controversial I know please don't freak out).

But like many others said above I don't believe we as humans were meant to play God.

Reactions: RainbowDevil

DrowningFishy

Rookie
Reactions Received
Lol I was actually gonna say that we can't play god if god doesn't exist :haylul:

I get what all of you mean tho. I don't find it unnatural tho, technology is what it is and whether we give evolution a push or not is up to us. I do see the potential downside tho, the fact that maybe we unadvertedly change something thinking it's good but it bites us in the ass later, smn like making ourselves tolerant to diseases but as a side-effect we get idk... a third eye where our belly button was :sj_weary:
Royals of history thought it wasn't unnatural to marry within the family and look what eventually happened - just saying.

Reactions: RainbowDevil

Users who are viewing this thread