Sensitive Got Downvoted for Something Ridiculious (1 Viewer)

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Someone was basically making an argument for eugenics by saying we should essentially stop allowing people with disabilities to procreate or with a family history of disabilities to stop procreating and also abort children with disabilities. They also essentially said those with disabilities are inconvenient to them and society as a whole and should be shipped off to an island or killed off.

I said that I'm not for eugenics and that I don't find the people in my family who have disabilities to be inconvenient or lesser than for having a disability. Even said what qualifies someone to decide what is or what isn't a disability.

I got downvoted to the point of being in the negatives and told I was too emotionally invested in the subject matter and therefore my arguments against eugenics and ableism were void.

I'm just venting because I'm legit shocked??? This isn't meant to be a hateful thread but is being against this an uncommon mindset or am I just in the wrong place. Also this conversation didn't happen here.

QueenB

Celebrity
Reactions Received
not shocked tbh. Peoples whole reaction to the pandemic where they were like "Its only people with prior conditions dying so I don't have to worry" really showed that there's a lot of people willing to throw people with disabilities under the bus.

Reactions Received
I´m so sorry you had to encounter such people :/. people are dumb, uneducated and really close-minded. a mandatory voluntary work might have cured their ideas, but unfortunately, one day karma will teach them well.
just don´t take it too close to heart.
most people are decent... jerks.... but decent :D (as not just dressed, but in their behaviour :D)

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
not shocked tbh. Peoples whole reaction to the pandemic where they were like "Its only people with prior conditions dying so I don't have to worry" really showed that there's a lot of people willing to throw people with disabilities under the bus.
I don't even know why I didn't think about that because you have a point. I take extra precautions because I have people in my family and my boyfriend's family who are immunocompromised...don't want them to die or get severely ill because of my ignorance. Completely forgot that people were being jerks about the pandemic...for a second I wanted to believe anti-maskers didn't exist.

Reactions: QueenB

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
I´m so sorry you had to encounter such people :/. people are dumb, uneducated and really close-minded. a mandatory voluntary work might have cured their ideas, but unfortunately, one day karma will teach them well.
just don´t take it too close to heart.
most people are decent... jerks.... but decent :D (as not just dressed, but in their behaviour :D)
Yeah, I can tell the guy doesn't have much of an argument after talking to him more. He can't counter any of my points except for saying that I'm too emotional. And agreed most people are jerks-including myself but decent XD

Yili

✨Atiny Moodzy Alice✨
Reactions Received
Website
yiliisme.carrd.co
Fandom
Multistan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
man i had no idea people could be so brazen about saying something like that even online. that's messed up

Reactions: Lovely_Cornchips

Yili

✨Atiny Moodzy Alice✨
Reactions Received
Website
yiliisme.carrd.co
Fandom
Multistan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
To be fair it was in an unpopular opinion thing but I was shocked.
that's the type of unpopular opinion that ought to be thrown in the bin, at least it was there and not in some regular posting bc yikes

Reactions Received
Ship
The argument [the one they were making] is flawed on its premise and depth. Disability goes from tremors, dyslexia all the way til' low functioning Autism, MS, Cerebral Palsy, and others. The problem is logic and the visibility of disability. For many their physical, neurological, or developmental disability isn't shown in daily life. Given this for them to properly implement such an action I would assume they would support governing bodies prying into medical records. Alas, these people are either ignorant, out of touch, or really disgusting.. Not that either is mutually exclusive.

Perhaps I was too lenient on my definition to include tremors, but consider this. If tremors would be included in these losers definition of disability then they would support not allowing Wonwoo, who has hand tremors, being able to have children..

QueenB

Celebrity
Reactions Received
I don't even know why I didn't think about that because you have a point. I take extra precautions because I have people in my family and my boyfriend's family who are immunocompromised...don't want them to die or get severely ill because of my ignorance. Completely forgot that people were being jerks about the pandemic...for a second I wanted to believe anti-maskers didn't exist.
yeah those people exist in general but you don't hear from them that often but the pandemic has really brought peoples ableism and prejudice out in full force. Yeah an elderly relative of mine recently got it even though they are in a assisted living center and just a day ago I saw a woman walking around without a mask and its just so angering. Like I already hated the anti-mask people but its just even more personal now and frustrating to see

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
Ship
Was this on Reddit? Depends on the sub you're in tbh. If you're in r/eugenics or idk, someplace similar most people will have a similar mindset and downvote you, however say the same thing in another subreddit and you'll be upvoted.

I had the privilege(?) of browsing r/adultery and the upvoted posts there are :wimwim:

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
Reactions Received
Pronouns
Any
What people who want to take away the rights of disabled people fail to realize is, depending on the disability, some people make the decision themselves not to have children. For example, my brother and I both have a genetic condition. Every child either of us have will have a 50% chance of inheriting it. Because of the severity of the condition and the odds, we have both decided to not have kids. In my case, getting pregnant could also possibly kill me. There are plenty of people without disabilities who should never procreate, but no one wants to take away their rights, just the rights of those who are, in their eyes, defective.

Someone needs to remind them the Nazis were big supporters of eugenics, and also that some of the world's most brilliant minds and largest contributors to society were people with disabilities.

Jimin

Spooks the Friendly Ghost — 👻
Reactions Received
Ship
They also essentially said those with disabilities are inconvenient to them and society as a whole and should be shipped off to an island or killed off.
The fuck?? All of it is terrible ofc but I mean this part in particular... Wtf??

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
What people who want to take away the rights of disabled people fail to realize is, depending on the disability, some people make the decision themselves not to have children. For example, my brother and I both have a genetic condition. Every child either of us have will have a 50% chance of inheriting it. Because of the severity of the condition and the odds, we have both decided to not have kids. In my case, getting pregnant could also possibly kill me. There are plenty of people without disabilities who should never procreate, but no one wants to take away their rights, just the rights of those who are, in their eyes, defective.

Someone needs to remind them the Nazis were big supporters of eugenics, and also that some of the world's most brilliant minds and largest contributors to society were people with disabilities.
Also, multiple people don't inherit disabilities but wind up with them later on and a good chunk of them aren't even necessarily something that can be passed on. It's just a chromosomal issue, down syndrome I'm pretty sure isn't a disability that is oftentimes seen in a genetic code but a child can still wind up with it. I have one cousin who is related to me who has downs and I think she is really the only one who has been born into the family in a long long time.

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
The fuck?? All of it is terrible ofc but I mean this part in particular... Wtf??
They're argument for the island part is that humankind as a whole is genetically declining and suffering as a result of people with disabilities and us as a society catering to them. So those who are "defective" in their eyes should be grouped together so they can procreate and leave all the "normal" people alone to have healthy children-which by the way...some disorders or disabilities show up without a family history of them but yeah know-fuck that shit I guess???

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Was this on Reddit? Depends on the sub you're in tbh. If you're in r/eugenics or idk, someplace similar most people will have a similar mindset and downvote you, however say the same thing in another subreddit and you'll be upvoted.

I had the privilege(?) of browsing r/adultery and the upvoted posts there are :wimwim:
It was on reddit but it was in the unpopular opinions sub. But usually the opinions are less controversial shit.

Users who are viewing this thread