COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

How much artistic independence do kpop artists have? (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
and which company does allow it the most? Well, I´d say AOMG since "artistic independence" is what they are built on, but even Jay Park said he chooses the artists that he likes and he is very picky, so I wonder how it works. On the other hand, he is not afraid to let his artists flop.

I´m surprised as I´m getting into Seventeen to read how "self-made" they are when it comes to writing and composing, so wow Pledis surprising? or maybe it is just with Seventeen. :D

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Some have a lot and some a little. 24k had the most i think with the production, songwriting, and choreo done by them I believe, whereas some jyp or sm groups had less (though Jonghyun did a lot of songwriting right from the start)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
Some have a lot and some a little. 24k had the most i think with the production, songwriting, and choreo done by them I believe, whereas some jyp or sm groups had less (though Jonghyun did a lot of songwriting right from the start)
that is true, despite everything, SM is a big corporation that is build on some bloody money and yadadada I do feel like once you make it to relative fame, you can be a bit more risky. Even now SHINee seem to be able to experiment more than I´d imagine other companies allow.

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
I mean, they're all public figures so there is a limit to stuff they say and do
hard to tell sometimes since it's not that hard for an idol to be added on as a contributor with minimal work done in the final product

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
I mean, they're all public figures so there is a limit to stuff they say and do
hard to tell sometimes since it's not that hard for an idol to be added on as a contributor with minimal work done in the final product
I guess, but still not all the groups are allowed to try new concepts, write their own songs etc. some groups I feel might be limited to "well, you are gonna do only what the company´s songwriter writes you" or are not allowed to take risks with concepts etc. of course someone has to be the bad guy and say STOP, too much democracy is bad too, but you know what I mean. someone has more, someone has less. I do admire the self-made men :D

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
I guess, but still not all the groups are allowed to try new concepts, write their own songs etc. some groups I feel might be limited to "well, you are gonna do only what the company´s songwriter writes you" or are not allowed to take risks with concepts etc. of course someone has to be the bad guy and say STOP, too much democracy is bad too, but you know what I mean. someone has more, someone has less. I do admire the self-made men :D
oof I meant the other end of the stick, those who are heavily involved in the production side of things
I'm sure many are capable and do a significant amount of work, but it's also easy to let the idol arrange a line and let the be credited as an arranger, making the process of judging artistic freedom a lot harder to actually judge

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
I feel like it depends on group and artist a lot even within same company. For most self-writing groups they still have some producers who work with them and usually the company decides what songs are released and what the title is going to be from the songs the members came up with. I guess when the majority of songwriting is done by members you can say that they have artistic independence- as much as u can within kpop.

Some self-writing groups/bands include:

Big Bang
Seventeen
Ikon
Day6
Stray Kids
Pentagon

Yili

Stay • Czennie • Teume • Moodz • One-It • Villain
Reactions Received
Website
flyhighyili.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi <3
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Depends on the company mostly

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
Depends on the company mostly
yeah and which one do you feel allows their artists to be more independent?

Yili

Stay • Czennie • Teume • Moodz • One-It • Villain
Reactions Received
Website
flyhighyili.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi <3
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
yeah and which one do you feel allows their artists to be more independent?
i'd say p-nation, h1gher, if you include american then definitely 88rising
more hip hop labels than mainstream ones

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
i'd say p-nation, h1gher, if you include american then definitely 88rising
more hip hop labels than mainstream ones
that´s what I have noticed about hiphop and rnb labels, they know they are not big, don´t expect much, seem to have fun and when they "accidentally" make a lot of money, they just invest them more :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread