COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

How much do you know about your ancestors? [aka stories from before and after the worldwars] (1 Viewer)

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
Do you know much about them?

I think I know quite a lot about mine! My family has been researched back as far as records go in Estonia (Like the 1600s. The ones before that were mostly destroyed)

There are many, many more stories that I have heard and remember and a lot of those that I have forgotten. There are happy ones and sad ones. There are all kinds of stories, but these are my favorites!

I know my Great (3x) grandafather was a bodyguard for the last russian emperor and was gifted a sword by the emeror after he retired. Sadly the sword was lost sometime during the worldwars. He was a tall and handsome man, which is why he was chosen to be a bodyguard. He knew many languages and was generally a smart guy. He married his childhood sweetheart from the village he was born in.
I know one of my great (again 3x) grandparents were killed with an axe after the 1st world war, when hungry soldiers were wondering aorund the country loking for food. They were butchering a pig and they were killed because they refused to give it up.
My great (2x) grandmother was 4 when her family was forcibily relocated to siberia. She managed to get back into Estonia when she was 16 and lived to see Estonia free again. Her brother, was taken to Siberia aswell, but he COULD have gotten to stay in Estonia. He was coming home from university to visit the family and stopped to visit the nearby village before. The people there told him not to go home because the officials were already on their way to take the family away. He still went home, because he wanted to be with family. (Fun fact, that great (2x) grandma is who I am named after! I even have some old bedsheets and towels etc that she stitched and embroided!)
On the other side of the family, from my fathers side is where these stories are from. This one was witnessed by my grandmother when she was young. (So after the II WW) The soviets allowed each family to have 1 cow, 1 horse and 2 pigs. The animals weren't allowed to be any kind of a special breed either, those were all taken away for the country. The family had a cow, that had no white strip down its nose, due to that the family was afraid it would get taken away, so they painted the white strip on it!
My great grandfather fought in the II WW. He was stuck in the Leningrad blockade and got injured in a battle afterwards.
He was supposedly a really nice and happy guy. He pracically raised my mother, because her parents worked a lot. He used to tell my mother stories from the blockade if my mother nagged him enough. Of course it was always the kid friendly versions, but he talked about how dead people on the streets were such a normal thing that it wasn't even noticed by people.

THere are many, many more stories that I have heard and remember and those that I have forgotten. There are happy ones and sad ones. There are all kinds of stories, but these are my favorites!

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Wreck
How many survived? Because if all of them, holy shit, that is one impressive woman! Actually scratch that... Even carrying 18 children to term makes her a VERY impressive woman!
All survived and had children.

maruberry

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
All survived and had children.
Oh wow!

Imagine having to remember the names of all 18 kids, and then having to remember the names of all your grandkids! She must have had a really good memory and family gatherings must have been pandemonium!

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Wreck
Oh wow!

Imagine having to remember the names of all 18 kids, and then having to remember the names of all your grandkids! She must have had a really good memory and family gatherings must have been pandemonium!
From what I’ve heard from my grandparents, their family gatherings/reunions were chaotic.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Wreck
Oh wow!

This reminds me of NCT

Reactions Received
KS Coins
My great-grandfather was struck by lighting
A great-grandmother was married at 12 and would play with her dolls while her husband was working

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
My grandmother was married at age 13.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
On my side of the family. My ancestors fought in both World Wars and I know that one of my Great great uncles died at the Battle Of The Somme and my Great Grandfather was supposed to of been on HMS Hood when it sailed off onto its fateful voyage. However he fell ill beforehand and therefore wasn't onboard when it sunk with the loss of 1415 men, and only 3 survivors.
A few of my family members also fought in the Pacific War.

My Grandmother has also told me many times about what it was like whilst growing up as a child/teenager in World War 2.

Meanwhile on my wife's side. Her ancestors fought for the Japanese Imperial Navy & Japanese Imperial Army, and her Great Grandfather was a Prisoner of War guard.
And after the war was lost her family had to (and successfully) hide their family heirloom which was a Samurai Katana that's over 350 years old. The reason why they had to hide it was because the American forces were destroying swords and/or taking them back to the US.

So our family ancestral history is a funny one really... Both sets of our family were technically at war with one another but 70 years later their great grandchildren would one day meet each other and fall in love and reproduce continuing our ancestral bloodlines.

Ringwanderung

ad astra per aspera
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
my ancestors were apparently samurai serving Ukita/Ikeda house but they were on the losing side and fled and changed their name, my last name was fake

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I dont know that much, I do know one of my great grandmothers also experienced the Leningrad blockade, but she managed to survive, she was just a kid at the time I think. I also know that one of my great grandfathers, who lived in a German community in Russia due to his heritage, lived in Russia during WW2, but since it was anti German at the time they were forcefully relocated to the Ural Mountains. Also, one of my other great grandfathers fought in WW2 and was killed in Potsdam, close to the end of the war.

I also know my great grandmother is from Israel, I don't know much about her though. I do know that its interesting that my heritage includes Germans, Russians, and Jewish people considering there was quite a lot of tension between those ones during WW2. :pepeslippy:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Mine is kinda crazy, but I know on my mom's side I'm the great great something granddaughter of the real-life Pocahontas. We found this out when we did an ancestry book for my grandpa.
On my dad's side, my great great great grandpa was this crazy guy named Brunson Lewis who was infamous for being this wildly bad dude who had a bunch of folk tales written about him. He had this ballad written about him and the time he fought a Florida panther attacking him and won!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread