COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Hybe, CJ and Kakao competing for Lee Soo Mans shares of SM Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
On August 3, it was reported that HYBE, CJ, and Kakao Entertainment are in the race for Lee Soo Man’s shares in SM Entertainment.

Lee Soo Man holds approximately 18.73 percent of the shares in SM Entertainment, making him the company’s largest shareholder. It is believed that whoever acquires his shares will be gaining SM Entertainment’s management rights.

According to Hankook Kyungje, HYBE, CJ, and Kakao Entertainment jumped into the acquisition battle of SM Entertainment and are presenting various scenarios to the company in order to win.

Previously, SM Entertainment stated, “There are various discussions on business partnership and equity investment, but nothing has been finalized so far.”

Kakao Entertainment, which is currently the most likely to acquire the shares, reportedly proposed to acquire SM Entertainment and its management rights at a value of more than 2.5 trillion won (approximately $2.2 billion). Much of the discussion is between Lee Soo Man and Kim Bum Soo, Kakao Entertainment’s chairman and largest shareholder.

However, CJ is considered a dark horse that can threaten Kakao Entertainment’s opportunity to acquire SM Entertainment. It was reported that CJ’s vice chairman Lee Mi Kyung has decided to return to Korea to meet with Lee Soo Man.

Another strong candidate is HYBE. The label offered SM Entertainment a higher amount than Kakao Entertainment, but the deal was reportedly not successful as Lee Soo Man rejected the proposal.

Industry representatives predict that the acquisition amount will increase from 2.5 trillion won to 4 trillion won (approximately $3.5 billion) at most. They also speculate that foreign investors, such as Morgan Stanley, are competing to increase their shares in SM Entertainment.

Currently, SM Entertainment has a market capitalization of 1.38 trillion won (approximately $1.2 billion), which is only one tenth of HYBE’s market capitalization of 11.3 trillion won (approximately $9.9 billion). However, it is believed that SM Entertainment continues to perform well in both domestic and foreign markets and that its stock prices are undervalued.

A source from the financial investment industry said, “With Lee Soo Man showing desire to ‘take his hands off [of SM Entertainment]’ and rumors of him selling his shares in SM Entertainment, several companies are being mentioned. As SM Entertainment’s second-quarter performance is predicted to be beyond expectations, the value of SM Entertainment will be high.”

As of 2:18 p.m. KST on August 4, SM C&C’s stock price has risen 1,055 won (approximately 92 cents), and the shares are trading at 6,000 won ($5.25). SM C&C is an affiliate of SM and a comprehensive entertainment media group that produces videos, such as movies and TV programs.

At the same time, SM’s stock price rose 6,400 won (approximately $5.60), and the shares are trading at 69,100 won (approximately $60.44). In addition, the stock price of SM Life Design, which is a printing business that creates products like albums, rose 230 won (approximately 20 cents), and the shares are trading at 3,560 won (approximately $3.11).

Source

@Boy Group @Girl Group

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
this is a mess I don’t want to see honestly :nekosweat:

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
this is a mess I don’t want to see honestly :nekosweat:
I dread to think what Hybe would do if they get that kind of power as they'll definitely be in a league of their own then

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I dread to think what Hybe would do if they get that kind of power as they'll definitely be in a league of their own then
I absolutely would hate it if Hybe gets it.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I absolutely would hate it if Hybe gets it.
Yeah they'll have too much power if they are able to acquire SM and don't have a good track record with the power they have already

yeji

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Yeah they'll have too much power if they are able to acquire SM and don't have a good track record with the power they have already
exactly. it just wouldn’t be good

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Honestly none of those make me feel good for the future of kpop.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
EXO-L
Pronouns
She/Her
So... Basically SM days are kinda over?

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Pronouns
She/Her
Same, though luckily EXO look like they’ll be leaving SM seen as the past couple of years they’ve either had no promos or outright called TV companies themselves to book promo stages.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Yeah there's not one that stands out to me as a clear best option but if these are the only options there's one I'd prefer not to at least

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
Yeah there's not one that stands out to me as a clear best option but if these are the only options there's one I'd prefer not to at least
i guess kako may be the least awful but that is a guess, do they(kako) even run any groups?

LSM still has impact on groups and songs those are monster shoes' to fill as just an investor.
And honestly a LSM less SME is bad thing.
Who else would have stuck with the whole NCT deal for years until it became what it is now?

Who else would have poured so much money into SM station building grass root connections?

This is JYP's best attempt at multiple gg very few folks have run 2 or more for more than a year or so at that level.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread