I don't understand why people call 2nd get kpop the "golden age" (1 Viewer)

Vikki

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
Might be an unpopular opinion to some, but I don't see what was better about it.

The music: Some people prefer it. I and other people don't. Saying that the music was better as a justification is not a good one because it depends on the person.

The fanwars: People act like they didn't exist. What about SNSD's black ocean? The physical fights that happened sometimes? It may not have been as obvious and vocal, but it happened.

The fans: They act like they were angels back then. Again, SNSD's black ocean and not to mention a TVXQ member being poisoned. The fans were no better, it's only if you look with rose tinted glasses that you think it's better.

The companies: There's a lot of abuse that goes on in kpop companies. This applies both now and back then, but there's (theoretically) more protections in place now. Yes it's theoretically but it's a good start.

What do you think? Do you think 2nd gen was better for some reasons, or do you think it's the same, just more vocal in the west because it wasn't online as much?

Reactions Received
It's all the same except now international fans have a huge voice and some sjw make it heck for everyone else most times.

Reactions: Vikki
Reactions Received
I personally think it was the "golden age" in terms of idols being able to interact with each other. Especially the opposite genders. They had shows like Strong Heart where we could all know about the bts relationships of the idols. Heck Yoona bagged herself a super amazing bf because of their interactions in the show! Shows like running man invited idols from different groups and everyone had fun together. These days everyone just sticks to their own group and doesn't openly mingle with the opposite sex because either 1. Some people ship them and go waaay over the line or 2. They're attacked by the netizens, viciously at that.

Reactions: Drew_B and Vikki

Tickita

𝕄𝕞𝕞𝕙 𝕄𝕞𝕞𝕙. 🌹
Reactions Received
Website
tickita.carrd.co
Fandom
Cassiopeia
The music: Some people prefer it. I and other people don't. Saying that the music was better as a justification is not a good one because it depends on the person.
I agree. It's all about preferences. I don't like songs with drops but it doesn't them horrible.

Still only speaking from the music aspect, they probably base it off of how current idols are influenced by older idols, and how they cover older songs. But it's normal to have influences and cover old songs. There will be a 5th gen group inspired by BTS.

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
It's different. Idols were able to interact a bit more freely during that age hence all of the idol dating shows or shows like that-fans weren't as nutty about it. Though of course there were SOME but I think that culture became more pronounced with the later part of 2nd gen and with the 3rd gen. I think there was also more reality with 2nd gen idols. It feels like 3rd gen and 4th gen are really forced to be perfect and it's just...meh.

I like the music from all generations tbh so I wouldn't say that but I think fan wars are more notable now because of how much and how many people have access to the internet now. So I know they were around back then and some pretty bad sasaengs were around back then too. So I guess I'm mixed on this one.

Evergreen

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Ship
One word : nostalgia and sometimes a superiority complex.

I am both a a second and three generation stan and I think that the music was better back then but it’s still just my opinion.

Drew_B

Reactions Received
Fandom
MeU
For me second gen is the golden age because it was the point where kpop went from being mostly local, to global.

Also because the resurgence in 2007 through 2012 wasnt oversaturated. Every single boy and girl group during this time period left a mark on the industry. There was no throwaway groups.

SM (the most important label of all time) was also at its peak during second gen. TVXQ, Super Junior, SHINee, SNSD, f(x). All debuted before the turn of the decade and their influence is unimaginable.

The collabs between boy and girl groups were amazing and just cant be done the same way anymore (if at all).

YouTubes lack of impact due to its infancy. Nobody cared or argued about their groups views compared to someone else faves.

And most importantly for me... the music was just catchier and better produced. It just felt like more chances were taken with the sound and style of comebacks. Overall variety I guess.

One of the best songs that defines 2nd gen for me is this.

This type of sound and imagery is my favorite. It's so unique and otherworldly compared to the boring stuff that's been released since 2016.

Reactions: Vikki and Emanresu

Emanresu

Idol
Reactions Received
Website
emanresukdrama.wordpress.com
In my view 2nd generation was the golden age because it was the perfect storm of sorts.

Kpop was open enough that international audiences could participate.

But still local enough that the epicenter and zeitgeist of kpop was still centered on a Korea.

This allowed a perfect balance of accessibility and opportunity for an international audience to be a part of things.

But not at the cost of Korean determination.

Kpop still was "out of step" with the international pop market and retained many idiosyncrasies and Korean cultural charm that made the environment and output often very distinct and clearly its own despite kpop being an industry with clear influences from Western pop.

Now the kpop landscape is often driven by international trend and marked by a heirarchy that no longer has Asia as hegemon, with a Korean public that is less involved than before.

I think this has harmed the differentiation and charm of kpop to a large degree.

And why I would consider 2nd gen the golden era.

Reactions Received
Fandom
GZB
Ship
For me, the music was better and kpop had it's own vibe. Now it's just like western music but sang in korean. I still like it though :*

Users who are viewing this thread