COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

I should avoid crowds #Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
Japan's health minister on Sunday urged the public to avoid crowds and "non-essential gatherings", including notoriously packed commuter trains, to prevent the new coronavirus from spreading in the country.

Katsunobu Kato warned the nation was "entering a new phase" in the outbreak of the virus, which has infected nearly 60 people in Japan so far.

"We want to ask the public to avoid non-urgent, non-essential gatherings. We want elderly and those with pre-existing conditions to avoid crowded places," Kato said after a meeting of a panel of experts.

"I think it's important that we exercise Japan's collective strength. We wish to ask the Japanese people for their cooperation and it will take everyone being united to tackle this infectious disease," he told a press conference.

Kato said cases with no clear transmission chains and involving people who have not travelled to China, where the outbreak began, meant Japan was entering a new stage.

The government will draft fresh guidelines for doctors about when to suspect possible coronavirus infections and for ordinary citizens to know when to seek medical care.

Japan has been pushing Tokyo residents to try telecommuting or avoid rush hour commutes to ease traffic congestion during the summer Tokyo Olympic Games.

Kato said the government will reiterate its calls on people to try those measures to ease spread of the virus.

The comments come after a spate of new infections were confirmed over the weekend, raising the total number of cases inside Japan to 59.

Those numbers exclude hundreds of cases aboard a cruise ship, as well as a quarantine officer who tested people on the boat.

Most infected individuals seem to experience mild conditions similar to the common cold and may not realise that they have the disease, risking possibly spreading it to others, said Takaji Wakita, chief of the National Institute of Infectious Diseases who headed the expert panel.

"It is expected that domestic infections will continue," Wakita said, adding that Japan was at an early stage of the spread.

Avoid large crowds of people? Well that should be easy enough to follow. I only live here,

TOKYO!!

With a population of 9.6 million residents living in the 23 special wards of Tokyo and all together 38 million residents living in the Greater Tokyo Area. This of course excluding all the tourists that flock to Tokyo (and cherry blossom season only around the corner)...
Yep. It will be easy to avoid large crowds of people. Especially during the commutes to and from work.

What amazing advice from our health minister who won't have to worry about these kind of commutes as he'll be travelling to and from work in his taxpayer funded car. Unfortunately for us common folk we don't quite have that luxury.

Tokyo really is a ticking time bomb and it seems that government officials would still rather keep their heads in the sand (Not even thinking of postponing the upcoming Olympics, as an example).
And this is only Tokyo..... Kyoto, Osaka, Fukuoka, Yokohama. Any major city in Japan it'll be impossible to avoid large crowds. The only way that I could do that is if I move to the Inaka!! (Japanese countryside)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
You have a point. I used to live in Yokohama and there really is no way to avoid large crowds unless it's an off hour and even then, there's always people. Especially with people commuting from home to work and uni everyday. Impossible.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
this Virus is more serious that we thought isn't?
In terms of those infected to the fatalities. The ratio is lower than that of those who catch the common flu. However what has people worried is just how contagious the virus is and that this strain has never been seen before. So it's very unpredictable in whether it could mutate into something far worse.

I remember the SARS (same family of virus) outbreak almost 20 years ago. That latest from November till the following July and this new strain is a lot more contagious than SARS was and I wouldn't be surprised if the Olympics that are supposed to start in July are postponed.

You have a point. I used to live in Yokohama and there really is no way to avoid large crowds unless it's an off hour and even then, there's always people. Especially with people commuting from home to work and uni everyday. Impossible.

I'm sure that you went to Tokyo whilst in Japan? Even when it isn't the rush hour periods, the Yamanote Line etc is always packed with commuters (on average 1 million people use the Yamanote Line every day)

I'm supposed to be seeing Red Velvet on both their Yokohama dates next month and I'm waiting for an announcement of them (rightfully) being cancelled.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
In terms of those infected to the fatalities. The ratio is lower than that of those who catch the common flu. However what has people worried is just how contagious the virus is and that this strain has never been seen before. So it's very unpredictable in whether it could mutate into something far worse.

I remember the SARS (same family of virus) outbreak almost 20 years ago. That latest from November till the following July and this new strain is a lot more contagious than SARS was and I wouldn't be surprised if the Olympics that are supposed to start in July are postponed.

I'm sure that you went to Tokyo whilst in Japan? Even when it isn't the rush hour periods, the Yamanote Line etc is always packed with commuters (on average 1 million people use the Yamanote Line every day)

I'm supposed to be seeing Red Velvet on both their Yokohama dates next month and I'm waiting for an announcement of them (rightfully) being cancelled.
how? 2000 died since the virus was discovered, i don't think that many people can die of flu in 2 months....

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
Reactions Received
KS Coins

I did and the Yamanote Line is just always so packed. Hopefully the event is cancelled. Yokohama is just incredibly densely populated. Plus Yokohama station (which I assume many fans will transfer to and from) is where many commuters will be. I know it sounds overly dramatic from the view of outsiders, but the countries affected are extremely dense and small.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
this Virus is more serious that we thought isn't?
well that's a given since how many times China has been called out for lying. However I think Japan is just being more cautious then anything else. Most of the infected in Japan is from cruise ships that are docked. Japan is a packed sardine can, and people who can spread the virus can show no symptoms what so ever. Just imagine the damage one infected person running around Japan could do.

Again I don't think the corona virus is anything to worry to much over. Chances are the virus is at a stage, like all corona viruses that have rolled out, that it will soon start slowing.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
I did and the Yamanote Line is just always so packed. Hopefully the event is cancelled. Yokohama is just incredibly densely populated. Plus Yokohama station (which I assume many fans will transfer to and from) is where many commuters will be. I know it sounds overly dramatic from the view of outsiders, but the countries affected are extremely dense and small.
Majority of fans would commute to Yokohama Arena from JR Shin-Yokohama Station which is less than a 10 minute walk away. That's how I always get to the arena from Tokyo.

Last edited:

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
I knew where you were going when I read the thread title and it had your user name.

Memories of Shinjuku station at rush hour...
You think Shinjuku Station at rush hour is bad?

I live in Shinagawa. This is Shinagawa Station at rush hour.....

Tis fun when you're wanting to walk the opposite direction to the masses :pandatea:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Ooh looks as packed as our Mumbai stations :haylul:

Stay safe buddy :sanapray:

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
stay safe everyone

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Pronouns
She/Her
I wouldn’t be surprised if plenty more events are cancelled. The F1 race scheduled for April in China has been postponed to help stop the spread. Personal hygiene is massively important, basic, but important. No just for yourself but for others around you, especially those such as the elderly, the young and those with respiratory problems. Stay safe out there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread