COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

I'm moving. Any advice? (1 Viewer)

Shou

Maybe 6 feet ain't so far down ✧.*
Top Poster Of Month
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Hi all.

I have worked at my job since December 2018 and moved up to a management positive in September of 2020. However, for the past month, life at my current establishment has been complete hell - and no, it's not just because it's retail. We are severely understaffed, constantly pressured by general managers/general office, often working 8-12 hours without break because no one else can do our job. Therefore, last week I decided to apply for my same position at a store two hours away. I got it. But, what I've also got is depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety. My reason for moving is because I hate my current life - I hate the area, I hate my home life, and I don't think I will last here much longer. And, at the end of the day, I like the work that I do and want to keep promoting under this company.

The pros to me moving are that I will get out of this current environment and meet new people.
The con to me moving is that I will get out of this environment and have to make new friends. My best friend is here, and all the people I've come to know for the past 2+ years.

I do not want to believe I've made a mistake, but I am scared of the future. Does anyone have any advice or inspirational words?

LeeriaYa

The Wandering Koala
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Carat
The thing is when you finally put yourself first, and finally do something you feel is best for yourself that it feels wrong. It shows you care for yourself enough to know what you do not deserve and went above and beyond. Feel pride for finally stepping outside something and gaining it in your grasp. You can still see your friends, bestfriend and family whenever you have free time, or days off. They should support you. The future is scary only because it’s unknown, but it’ll become known to you since you may feel slight guilty about going this far. Just think of it as you finally understand what you deserve, applied for another place and got it.
All journeys start with one person finding something better and one step.

Shou

Top Poster Of Month
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
The thing is when you finally put yourself first, and finally do something you feel is best for yourself that it feels wrong. It shows you care for yourself enough to know what you do not deserve and went above and beyond. Feel pride for finally stepping outside something and gaining it in your grasp. You can still see your friends, bestfriend and family whenever you have free time, or days off. They should support you. The future is scary only because it’s unknown, but it’ll become known to you since you may feel slight guilty about going this far. Just think of it as you finally understand what you deserve, applied for another place and got it.
All journeys start with one person finding something better and one step.
Thank you for your words. I am very very excited to be in this new location and be able to grow/learn more. I am looking forward to promoting in my company and making a career out of it.

But, at the end of the day, I am a human afraid of social pressure. At my current store, it's unheard of to do a lateral transfer, especially since my store is 3rd in the state in sales and I'm moving to a much slower one. A lot of people, including my GMs, probably think I grew another head, and that I'm crazy. It's the fact that they can't see they're holding me back. How can I learn when my job requires me to come in and survive every day? I am scared of people looking down on me, and I hope that I am happy in this new location. No matter what, I will fight for my own happiness.

LeeriaYa

The Wandering Koala
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Carat
Thank you for your words. I am very very excited to be in this new location and be able to grow/learn more. I am looking forward to promoting in my company and making a career out of it.

But, at the end of the day, I am a human afraid of social pressure. At my current store, it's unheard of to do a lateral transfer, especially since my store is 3rd in the state in sales and I'm moving to a much slower one. A lot of people, including my GMs, probably think I grew another head, and that I'm crazy. It's the fact that they can't see they're holding me back. How can I learn when my job requires me to come in and survive every day? I am scared of people looking down on me, and I hope that I am happy in this new location. No matter what, I will fight for my own happiness.
And that is the spirit you need. The sad thing about jobs and GM’s is they really don’t believe you can do better for yourself and beat you down till you stay. You stepped outside of the box and wanted to pursue a new environment which can possibly have a good effect on you. It’s scary making a new step, but when you finally make the step. You will gain courage along the way. It’s good you’re feeling proud of what you’ve done and that’s probably why it’s scary. My job does the same and eventually I’ll leave, as well. : > Believe in yourself no matter what anyone thinks of you. You came this far and you can go farther. It’ll possibly be difficult at first, but all things are when you go to a different location.

Shou

Top Poster Of Month
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
And that is the spirit you need. The sad thing about jobs and GM’s is they really don’t believe you can do better for yourself and beat you down till you stay. You stepped outside of the box and wanted to pursue a new environment which can possibly have a good effect on you. It’s scary making a new step, but when you finally make the step. You will gain courage along the way. It’s good you’re feeling proud of what you’ve done and that’s probably why it’s scary. My job does the same and eventually I’ll leave, as well. : > Believe in yourself no matter what anyone thinks of you. You came this far and you can go farther. It’ll possibly be difficult at first, but all things are when you go to a different location.
Lucky, what do you do for work?

LeeriaYa

The Wandering Koala
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Carat
Lucky, what do you do for work?
I am a dietary aide at an assisted living facility : > We have lost around 6 workers, and only one worker and myself usually come in on our days off. The management doesn’t really respect us because they believe we should just put the residents first. I have Covid now because the same management told our residents to take our masks off. I ended up getting coughed on. So when I say I’m done with my job. I am. But I can’t leave yet due to finding jobs here is a tight fit. I work around 90 hours every two weeks and one time it was 117.
Health care is rough for me.

Shou

Top Poster Of Month
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I am a dietary aide at an assisted living facility : > We have lost around 6 workers, and only one worker and myself usually come in on our days off. The management doesn’t really respect us because they believe we should just put the residents first. I have Covid now because the same management told our residents to take our masks off. I ended up getting coughed on. So when I say I’m done with my job. I am. But I can’t leave yet due to finding jobs here is a tight fit. I work around 90 hours every two weeks and one time it was 117.
Health care is rough for me.
I can't imagine what that must be like, I work a max of 50-55 during tough weeks. I can't believe your management would decide to stop requiring masks. Is there a way you can report it or is it something like the state that has lifted mask mandates?

LeeriaYa

The Wandering Koala
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Carat
I can't imagine what that must be like, I work a max of 50-55 during tough weeks. I can't believe your management would decide to stop requiring masks. Is there a way you can report it or is it something like the state that has lifted mask mandates?
Our state never lifted mask mandate. The management did this because the residents hated the mask and they wanted to make them happy. The health department called me after I tested positive at the center, and so far I see images of my work place still not wearing masks. We, the staff, wear them, but the residents don’t. They told me to take two weeks off to heal from Covid but we don’t even get paid. I’m trying to report them since you can’t get terminated for whistle blowing at your job. It’s just slow process 👀

Shou

Top Poster Of Month
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Our state never lifted mask mandate. The management did this because the residents hated the mask and they wanted to make them happy. The health department called me after I tested positive at the center, and so far I see images of my work place still not wearing masks. We, the staff, wear them, but the residents don’t. They told me to take two weeks off to heal from Covid but we don’t even get paid. I’m trying to report them since you can’t get terminated for whistle blowing at your job. It’s just slow process 👀
I hope things get better there.

LeeriaYa

The Wandering Koala
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Carat
I hope things get better there.
They will :sanapray: I’m needed there. I’ll continue to be outspoken when things are wrong. Just like you made a chance to change your environment. I will eventually do the same. That’s why it’s always good to see someone sticking up for themself.

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv, Sone
Hi all.

I have worked at my job since December 2018 and moved up to a management positive in September of 2020. However, for the past month, life at my current establishment has been complete hell - and no, it's not just because it's retail. We are severely understaffed, constantly pressured by general managers/general office, often working 8-12 hours without break because no one else can do our job. Therefore, last week I decided to apply for my same position at a store two hours away. I got it. But, what I've also got is depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety. My reason for moving is because I hate my current life - I hate the area, I hate my home life, and I don't think I will last here much longer. And, at the end of the day, I like the work that I do and want to keep promoting under this company.

The pros to me moving are that I will get out of this current environment and meet new people.
The con to me moving is that I will get out of this environment and have to make new friends. My best friend is here, and all the people I've come to know for the past 2+ years.

I do not want to believe I've made a mistake, but I am scared of the future. Does anyone have any advice or inspirational words?
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Moving out of an unhappy situation and into a more promising one is always a good thing to do.

Look at it another way: Some people cannot get out of their own unhappy situations due to circumstances beyond their control. You can. Many people would love to be in your situation. Go for it.

Good luck!

Shou

Top Poster Of Month
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Moving out of an unhappy situation and into a more promising one is always a good thing to do.

Look at it another way: Some people cannot get out of their own unhappy situations due to circumstances beyond their control. You can. Many people would love to be in your situation. Go for it.

Good luck!
Thank you so much. I will give this new location my all in order to keep going further. :pikahappy:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread