COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Movie I'm watching "Shoplifters" directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
im right this minute watching Shoplifters directed by Kirokazu Kore-eda. After about 6 minutes Im afraid for the ending already. Many years ago I watched Nobody Knows directed n written by him also. Ive forgotten the story but i had to read the synopsis on wikipedia to steel myself since i suspect the ending to Shoplifters might be as dark n depressing as im expecting it to be based on a vague feeling; "Nobody Knows"'s synopsis makes me believe i might be right abt "Shoplifters"' ending, so im steeling myself. Almost 2 hrs to go to see if my suspicions is right. (im watching this after watching Parasite one day ago, that ending is so powerful.) Idk why im watching this now, ahhh! Steel myself.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I watched almost all Kore Eda's films. To me is one of the best actual japanese films director. But Shoplifter (Manbiki Kazoku) isn't my fav. As you mentioned it, Nobody Knows (Dare mo shiranai) is such a powerful film... but with Shoplifters, Kore Eda explored another concept about what is suppose to be a "family" (recurring theme in his filmography) and talk about social issues in contemporary Japan, such as poverty, freeters and child abuse, which are often overlooked is more popular japanese films ! So, to me, it's a good point and I was glad the film won the Palme d'Or in 2018. I recemmend you his film "Like Father Like Son" or "Still Walking", two of my favorites.

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
I watched almost all Kore Eda's films. To me is one of the best actual japanese films director. But Shoplifter (Manbiki Kazoku) isn't my fav. As you mentioned it, Nobody Knows (Dare mo shiranai) is such a powerful film... but with Shoplifters, Kore Eda explored another concept about what is suppose to be a "family" (recurring theme in his filmography) and talk about social issues in contemporary Japan, such as poverty, freeters and child abuse, which are often overlooked is more popular japanese films ! So, to me, it's a good point and I was glad the film won the Palme d'Or in 2018. I recemmend you his film "Like Father Like Son" or "Still Walking", two of my favorites.
Thnx for telling me abt "Still Walking" and "Like Father Like Son", just watched the earlier film, im too moved by it except Wow. I musta watched Nobody Knows on dvd back in the day borrowed from the library but missed knowing about these 2 films.

I watched a few Japanese language films back in the day, Tampopo in a cinema in the 90s, Takeshi Kitano in a few/or one of his directed films, either Hana-Bi or Violent Cop or Sonatine in the 2000s, or after they came out on dvd; also Departures also in the cinema when it got released here.

But its such a desert here for those films, unless i constantly check the internet n willing to go thru pounds of dross for a few grams of precious metals/diamonds.

I wanna mention a local movie "Kid from the Big Apple" n its sequel "Kid from Big Apple 2", in case it interests you. Just a small scale indie film abt a family in my country which i loved this movie. The language n English subs might be formidable obstacles to watching this movie tho(there are subs but nuance might be lost).

Also, Finding Mr. Right "北京遇上西雅图"(simplified chinese); "北京遇上西雅圖"(traditional chinese); "Běijīng yùshàng Xiyǎtú" and Book of Love aka Finding Mr. Right 2 purely for commercial reasons, "北京遇上西雅图之不二情书" (chinese).

But these 4 are more sentimental n not as hard hitting as Kore-eda's films, just tat they hv an element of social issues within the commercial aspects/populist concerns of the filmmakers who made them.

Just tat i was reminded of these 4 movies when i was writing this reply, wish i knew where i could read more abt films like "Shoplifters", "Nobody Knows", "Like Father Like Son" n "Still Walking". I knew abt "The Truth" directed by Koreeda only cos i looked for info after watching "Shoplifters" n watched it this year. (Long after my OP in Jan 2020).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread