COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News Jessica Jung's "Shine" the YA/teen kpop book exists, (June2020 Pre-release copy) (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar

"Shine" the YA/teen fiction book by Jessica Jung about a kpop girl group of 9 members including Rachel Kim, a Korean-American teen(its totally not abt Girls Generation) has revealed itself tat it exists, thru the posts by ElectricMonkeyBooks, which i guess is the UK publisher.
The ARC (advanced reading copy) has a cover different from the final published book, which will be out later this year on 29 September 2020.
This:

explains it a bit.

An early review(abt 4 wks ago) from aforementioned advance copy {but i think a different [US, I think-the above is UK one]. As i thot before the book is aimed at teens n not very heavy reading, im still gonna get it n read it even tho im far from a teen. (I've read n watched Jenny Han's all the boys i loved series n adaptations n was fun to read n watch.) Im expecting slightly lighter reading with Shine.

@OnCloudJess @Darkyoda47 @RandAlThor (i know this may not b ur thing) @sweetener @yoda_tato @Jungkook @Angel (y'all asked to be tagged for Sica things, im being very conscientious/forgetfull tat i dont tag n spam u all even more.

Suzy

Hua Chen Yu's #1 Martian
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
That storyline... :wimwim:

I guess fans will eat this us though. Especially since she doesn't release much other content(albums/merch) for them to quench their thirst.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
That storyline... :wimwim:

I guess fans will eat this us though. Especially since she doesn't release much other content(albums/merch) for them to quench their thirst.
I called it when i first heard abt this news, knew it was likely to turn out this way; {good interesting YA books like Jenny Han, John Green n Jesse Andrews' Me and Earl and the Dying Girl r the only YA books i know/read/remember rn} but they aint light reading(imo) like it seems this book n book 2 will turn out to be.

Sica seems to b more focused on making her fashion brand successful, but when a pop up shop opened nearby (in neighboring S.E.A. country), i checked out the prices online b4 going there n decided nope, too rich 4 me.

Im dedicated fan of hers n she has the right to do fashion or music as her muse compels her but not for me to spend money on expensive fashion; music n books n other merch yes when i can afford it but not B&E, yet.
Still excited for her book to come out, yay!

Last edited:

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
it looks so beautiful

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
This is gonna be such a basic story with a plot that makes me mad at myself for buying and reading it but gotta support my queen Jess :yolk:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
9D5DA6E4-40DF-415F-8A5A-8B389E1FC2A5.jpeg

Time to add this to my Kindle I guess :wimwim:

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Since this is about the same thing, ill post this here(n not a new thread)-to save the environment/thread conservation:

Shine by Jessica Jung, preview copy n its packaging. marenagallucio ig the one who posted the original, so jelly of the receiver of this early copy n packaging-wish i had tat opportunity. (US publisher version- different from OP=UK publisher.)

Read "Shine" by Jessica Jung.
Shine by Jessica Jung will be available on Sept. 29! #ReadShine Crazy Rich Asians meets Gossip Girl by way of Jenny Han in this knock-out debut about a Korean American teen who is thrust into the competitive, technicolor world of K-pop, from Jessica Jung, K-pop legend and former lead singer of one of the most influential K-pop girl groups of all time, Girls Generation.
What would you give for a chance to live your dreams? For seventeen-year-old Korean American Rachel Kim, the answer is almost everything. Six years ago, she was recruited by DB Entertainment—one of Seoul’s largest K-pop labels, known for churning out some of the world’s most popular stars. The rules are simple: Train 24/7. Be perfect. Don’t date. Easy right?
Not so much. As the dark scandals of an industry bent on controlling and commodifying beautiful girls begin to bubble up, Rachel wonders if she’s strong enough to be a winner, or if she’ll end up crushed… Especially when she begins to develop feelings for K-pop star and DB golden boy Jason Lee. It’s not just that he’s charming, sexy, and ridiculously talented. He’s also the first person who really understands how badly she wants her star to rise.
Get ready as Jessica Jung, K-pop legend and former lead singer of Korea’s most famous girl group, Girls Generation, takes us inside the luxe, hyper-color world of K-pop, where the stakes are high, but for one girl, the cost of success—and love—might be even higher. It’s time for the world to see: this is what it takes to SHINE.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Apparently a shipload of ppl hv received e-ARCs of Shine to review, im so jelly but theyre probably regular ya/teen reader/reviewers so i dont think i had chance to get a legit copy:

Theres apparently a lot more reviews, hope it creates buzz n the 1st n 2nd books sell tons.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
For the rest of us; a new, longer excerpt:

DB Entertainment’s training campus is exactly like the K-pop stars it churns out: flawless, sparkling, and pretty much impossible to look away from. It’s prime real estate in the heart of Cheongdam-dong, the capital of K-pop. In the summer, trainees gather for yoga and Pilates on the rooftop garden, fighting over the coveted umbrella-covered spots to avoid even the hint of a sun blemish. Inside, giant fountains with spring water flown in directly from Seoraksan grace the teakwood and marble-clad lobbies. The DB execs claim the fountains are there to help us channel our inner peace in order to achieve our highest potential—but we all know what a joke that is. There’s no inner peace to be had here.
Especially not with the yearbook staring you in the face every day.
The yearbook (so named because most of the trainees here never get the chance to have an actual high school yearbook) is what we call the walls surrounding the fountain in the central wing lobby, decorated with framed photos of every single K-pop star who’s debuted out of DB’s training program. Their picture-perfect smiles and glossy hair remind us mere trainee mortals of what we aspire to be every day as we scurry from class to class. And smack in the middle of the wall—the one place we all hope to see ourselves someday—is a gold plaque with the names of every DB solo star or group who’s had a song debut at #1 on the Seoul music charts.
As I walk past, I stop and stare, my eyes blurring as I go over the names I memorized years ago. Pyo Yeri, Kwon YoonWoo, Lee Jiyoung . . . and the most recent, NEXT BOYZ. I feel a familiar squeeze around my heart, that patented K-pop trainee combination of stress, panic, and dehydration, as I flash back to my disastrous interview performance. Wincing at the memory, I quicken my steps, hurrying toward the independent practice rooms that line the west side of the building.
The hallway is full of random toys and props used by the best of the best stars in worldwide concerts. Half of the paraphernalia has the insignias of Electric Flower and Kang Jina (a gold-plaque legend and the leader of the biggest and best girl group in K-pop for the last few years). They debuted at the top spot and never left it. When I joined DB, I worshipped those girls—Jina especially. I admire them even more now, knowing what they had to go through to get to where they are. But part of me wonders about the girls they left behind. The ones that didn’t make it in the group.
Will I be the one on top or the one left in the shadows?
Bass reverberates into the hallway as I peek inside one room and see a second-year trainee practicing Blue Pearl’s iconic “Don’t Give Up on Love” dance. She flubs the side-to-side arm movements and wilts, dragging herself over to the speaker panel to start the song from the beginning. My whole body aches just watching her. From the sweat dripping off her forehead to her bright-red cheeks, I can tell she’s been in there for hours—a typical day for a young trainee. At the end of the hall, I run my finger over the electronic sign-up screen that dictates practice room availability. It’s still pretty early on a Saturday, so I’m hoping for some afternoon times to work on my dance moves, but . . . Ugh. Unbelievable. Every single slot is filled.
My hands clench as I feel my body temperature skyrocket. Lizzie wasn’t wrong—I’m not like the other trainees who are here 24/7, singing and dancing in practice rooms until 4:00 a.m., sleeping at the nearby trainee house, and waking up and doing it all over again, every single day. Back when I first got recruited to DB, my mom almost didn’t let me come. It meant uprooting
our family from New York City to Seoul, my sister giving up her school and her friends, both of my parents giving up their jobs. But more than that, she couldn’t understand why K-pop meant so much to me, and she definitely didn’t understand the trainee lifestyle—the intense pressure, the years of training, the plastic surgery scandals. Then, about three weeks into begging my mom to change her mind, my halmoni died. I remember how sad I felt, how I cried with my mom and Leah for hours, how when she was alive, Halmoni would sit me down every morning during our visits and braid my hair, whispering old folktales into my ear, telling me in her soothing voice how I would grow up to be beautiful, wise, and very wealthy. My mom wouldn’t let us miss school for the funeral, and when she got back from Korea I had practically decided to let go of the whole trainee thing, but to my surprise, Umma made me a deal: We would move to Seoul and I would go to school during the week, get an education, keep my prospects for college open, and every weekend (starting Friday night), I would train. (Once, a few years ago, I asked her why she changed her mind after Halmoni died, but all I got a blank stare followed by a quick smack on the back of my head).
The DB execs didn’t really go for Umma’s arrangement at first, but for some reason, Mr. Noh decided to bend the rules for me. Umma thinks it was because of her “American female empowerment” (as she calls it), but I know I’m just one of the lucky few Mr. Noh favors—one of the lucky few he has decided to pluck from trainee obscurity and pay extra attention to. (Although in the trainee program, extra attention really just means extra pressure.) Still, the situation was pretty unheard of, and it wasn’t long before I was known as “Princess Rachel,” the most pampered trainee at DB; the full-blooded Korean whose American passport (and American attitude and American dislike of Spam . . .) put more distance between me and the other trainees than the entire Pacific Ocean had. Now, six years later, even though I’ve been here longer than almost all the other trainees, the nickname still lives on.
You’d think they’d judge me based on how hard I train. How I work my body to the bone at DB headquarters on the weekends. How I sleep four hours a night during the week because of the hours of practice I put in after finishing my homework. How I begged my school to give me an independent study in music so I can have fifty minutes alone every day in the music room, practicing scales to keep me sharp. But instead, they judge my clean clothes, my neatly brushed hair, and the fact that I get to sleep in my own bed at night.
And the worst part is? They’re right. Every single one of them puts in twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Most of them live at the trainee house and go home once a month (if that). They eat, sleep, and breathe K-pop. No matter how you look at it, I can’t compete with that. But that’s exactly what I have to do.

Unless Sica is totally pretending/scamming us-she went thru a hard time training to be an idol(as did all trainees who stuck with it) n it werent easy(especially Tif aint there until yrs l8r). So tats my opinion n im sticking to it.
Im more excited n impatient to read it now tat iv read the excerpt n its good.

Marianthi

#1 2PM Stan
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Do we know when it'll be published or no idea yet?

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Pronouns
She/Her
Will be adding it to my kindle as soon as I can.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar

Im kinda bummed out from my twitter feed, so thot posting this might make me feel a bit better, every li'l thing helps. Stay safe n well everyone.

Reactions Received
Website
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar

Where i first saw the pic:

More news/pics of "Shine", by Jessica Jung -read the spine says Oct2020(thot its official release is 29 sep 2020-close enuf ig.) This isnt final product, just pre-release copy, usually for reviewers n publicity. Contents n cover might change but probs 90-95% wont. Cover will def change at least a bit, no "Oct 2020", add ISBN n maybe blurbs from famous(-er) celebrities on the front/back to catch msm buyers. This is, i believe, ARC(advanced reading copy.)

Earlier one i dint find n post abt b4:

Read Shine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread