COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Sensitive Kpopsource has a race problem (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jin

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Hey everyone, Dani here

Hello, it's Dani aka @melancholia but I am locked out of my main as of right now. It's late but I can't sleep so let me dish my opinions on the forum. Kpopsource has an extreme race problem and it needs to be fixed. I am a black girl, and the things I've witnessed on the site is disturbing. I don't know where to start, but let's go like this, AAVE, Cultural Appriapation, and BLM. I hope this thread opens your eyes to the ignorance rampant on this site. Now, I'm not going to force your opinions, I'm just telling my opinions on this site. I don't speak for every black person.

A user made a thread about AAVE. And well that user was not Black, and AAVE is Black culture.
"Aka essentially using black slang.....
Not using derogatory terms.... just.... slang...

That shit is just insane, should I get mad at any Russian who speaks Estonian bcs they used to oppress us and tried to kill off the Estonian language?
Ofc fucking not, that would be insane."

It was extremely tone-deaf and when I found out I was shocked. Black people are not insane for not wanting white people to take another piece of their culture and turn it into theirs. We were called ghetto, hood, dumb, just because of a vernacular and now those white people wanna use it because it's trendy and hip. It's like its a costume, you wear it when it benefits you but take it off when it no longer does. If a Black person is telling you that you are stealing and appropriating their culture then you should listen to them instead of being defensive. I'm sure most of you don't know the history behind AAVE, so stop using it.

But another thing is when you completely butcher it. For example, "You Gon Finna Chat Me" is KPS's chat thread name. AAVE has rules just like any other language but people just ignore those grammar rules and just butcher it. It's a terrible use of AAVE and shows that you don't respect it.

A user's opinion on Kpopsource, " how would i describe it? many MANY of the europeans on the sight are completely blind and ignorant about anything outside of their countries. then they end up making stupid threads that are blatantly racist.. constantly constantly do they make dumb remarks like “oh i can’t have an opinion bc i’m white” and fail to understand anything about what black people are trying to convey.. and then they don’t listen when corrected on their ignorance" It's weird how the Europeans behave on this forum, blinded by ignorance. Please check your privilege.

Next, cultural appropriation. Kpop is notorious for its cultural appropriation and profit off of Black culture. Members on this forum constantly downplay the harming effects of cultural appropriation. Firstly, black hairstyles are not made for that type of hair. Black hairstyles are made of 3b - 4d hair types whole most if not all of these idols have 1a-3a hair. Your hair ill fall out, it's not made for that. Secondly, Black people were fired, suspended, killed, over those hairstyles. Yet on this forum, it seems to be a joke to all of you. You all say "fake woke" when you are ignorant. Black people's hair: cornrows and braids have cultural significance. And you just can't take that because you think its cute, it has meaning, and when you wear it our history is lost. You say we only do this because of canceling when people who do that profit and steal from our culture. You use it as a joke and to diminish our rightfully upset feelings. You are not black, therefore you cannot have that piece of culture. Yall claim it as your own when we were bashed for it. Stop wearing box braids and cornrows, it's that simple.

Lastly, BLM. Black Lives Matter has been movement since 2013 and really showed these forums true colors. An mod here is extremely racist and ignorant and I called them out. If you are European, white, caucasian, or anything please know your boundaries. You have white privilege and you don't experience the oppression I face, and to belittle a movement fight for BAISC HUMAN RIGHTS is immoral. Users tried vilifying the BLM movement. What is wrong with you? Someone made a thread about BLM with an obviously fake video, but I never knew that someone could be so ignorant. That person doesn't believe white privilege doesn't exist either but that's another day. But the comments are wild, literally, that video is a troll video. BLM is not a company, it is a movement. A user here is extremely ignorant and racist but that doesn't matter, right?

Sidenote: Ik i use white people a lot but this is referring to about non-black person

Please educate yourselves.

Anyways I'm tired now. Goodnight, yall be easy.

EDIT = YALL I MEANT MOD!!

Last edited:

dooh

Jensetter <3 Jennie
Reactions Received
KS Coins
WHAT ??? accusations without proof.. !
tbh you kinda feel racist to me !

If you are European, white, caucasian, or anything please know your boundaries
racist comment ! so it matters what color my skin has ?

bye

Jin

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship

bye
How am I racist when I'll telling you that you should have boundaries when talking about Black people? Literally use the forum search, none of the things I said is deleted. I beg educate yourself!

dooh

Jensetter <3 Jennie
Reactions Received
KS Coins
How am I racist when I'll telling you that you should have boundaries when talking about Black people? Literally use the forum search, none of the things I said is deleted. I beg educate yourself!
i dont care what color someone has !
But when YOU shut up certain people BECAUSE of their skincolor.. thats racism
Why should someone in Norwegian/Finnland has boundaries talking about blacks ? or some middle east female from Turkey but fairly having a "white skin" .. ??

please educate yourself --> what racsim means, same goes for segregation !

stop dividing people into colors and the world is not all about the US

izcream

hot soup on a cold day
Reactions Received
Website
linktr.ee
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
i'm not sure if its just me but i feel that the reason why kps' chat thread's name was named "you gon f1nna chat me", was because the op wanted to make a reference to a blackpink's song, as if it's your last, which contained the lyrics "you gon' finna catch me". the op also stated that they'll hit you with the dduddu ddus if their thread flops, which proves my point. i get what you're trying to say though :wimwim;

Tiffany

Forever Alone
Reactions Received
Website
kpopsource.com
KS Coins
Fandom
SONE
Pronouns
Noona
I will let mods from NA handle this. But as both of our NA mods are asleep right now, we can't address on your issue with careful guidance on this, i have not participated on these kind of threads for that reason, i am from asia so i never would understand. But i understand the importance of this so i have refrained myself from getting into something i do not understand.

About the chat thread by @Chahee , from what i understand its in reference to blackpink, but if its is what you mentioned, just open a report for it to be renamed.

I have not received any feedback regarding one of our mods being racist at all so to spring this on me suddenly is very shocking.

Tiffany

Forever Alone
Reactions Received
Website
kpopsource.com
KS Coins
Fandom
SONE
Pronouns
Noona

bye
Why should someone in Norwegian/Finnland has boundaries talking about blacks ? or some middle east female from Turkey but fairly having a "white skin" .. ??

Please stop you guys, don't break any of our rules.

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
I will let mods from NA handle this. But as both of our NA mods are asleep right now, we can't address on your issue with careful guidance on this, i have not participated on these kind of threads for that reason, i am from asia so i never would understand. But i understand the importance of this so i have refrained myself from getting into something i do not understand.

About the chat thread by @Chahee , from what i understand its in reference to blackpink, but if its is what you mentioned, just open a report for it to be renamed.

I have not received any feedback regarding one of our mods being racist at all so to spring this on me suddenly is very shocking.
Can edit the thread name if it's necessary, np with me tbh

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
A huge problem with the "oh i can’t have an opinion bc i’m white" bit is a lot of times... white people do get told that. I'm not saying you do or that every black person does and so on... but it does happen. I've seen it plenty of times where open conversation gets shut down immediately just because a person was white and it was said with exactly those words "you can't have an opinion bc you're white". And at that point the people being shut down give up even trying which adds more of a divide in the end. This is just my input from previous observations as just a spectator, and not necessarily here at KS or anything.

As for the rest of the stuff you've said that happens here, I guess it's hard to have an opinion when I've rarely been around for months now... And I'm mostly just joking around when I do come around lol. So, I'll probably leave this to more active users? (Plus I'm at work and I don't have anymore time, sorry!) I could possibly come back to this later idk.

I respect what you have to say tho even if I don't have much time rn.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ok this is Jahzara (aka @TaeKpop13) a very optimistic and kind-hearted girl whos about 13.4

I believe that it ok to use the slang as long as ur using it in a non-racist way or not trying to imitate a black person
I'm Black and I have no hard feeling about it. Some of us use Korean words all the time so what really the difference here. As long as no one is using to disrespect my race then I'm fine with people using the slang.
so that what i think @Jimin @dooh @Jin @gayzone
I hope we can all get along and not fight over something like this So i hope everyone reads this.
oh and @Jin i not saying that all the suff ur saying is not true but i don't think they are trying to disrespect our race

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

bye

They aren't trying to shut anyone up because of their skin color. It's poorly phrased but I understand what she meant.
Certain people tend to, without having the experience or full understanding, speak over the people that do or make little effort to understand them.
Someone those countries or other generally ethnically homogeneous countries just isn't going to have the understanding or context. In their day to day, how many black people do you think they see? Know personally? It's like playing volleyball then becoming a tennis coach.

Everyone can have an opinion but some people need to educate themselves in a bad way

Last edited:

Mew

~Angel of Death~
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Shawol
Agree to disagree with some things, but ultimately I perfer the open dialogue that's here, brings light to ignorance and difference of how we live.
As a non American I have no idea about AAVE, for the most part I don't care, but I understand to a degree. London has pockets of of dialects, one in particular is Street slang, yes the roadman tings and such see 'Man's not hot'. The slang its self has changed over the years but takes orgin from jamaican patois, I could give a history lesson but it was the blend of English and patois brought about from the children of the Windrush generation (I'm second generation from that my grandparent were part of that generation) The difference for us is that its still seen mostly as black urban' thing but its also area specific, all those of any colour who lives in specific areas (usual poverty stricten ones like mine) speak it, it's blend of culture and most slang word now derive from the cultures in these areas, we're are of all races and continues to evolve due to that (we've even exchanged with AAVE but some which you can have back honestly) Now heres where I get exactly what your saying in all aspects, when people talk like that and arent brought up in the endz or aren't Jamaican in the slightest (for Jamaican patois in particular) it's like why are saying something you don't understand and why are you gonna mock it and speak it, okay granted alot of it now is coming 10 shades of dumb around here but still. The only difference is ours are more culturally inclusive but is still kept in the places we live.
So I get it.. But at the same time I'm open to discussion amongst other races and people with a different classes or from different countries cause then you gain an understanding of how oblivious we are to one another, and how we expect everyone else to know or care what shit we go through, they shouldn't they got there shit to deal with and they won't especially if open dialogue is shutdown because theie not of a particular race, thats where I don't necessarily agree, opinions are opinions everyone has a right to one, but when people are trying to speak for a culture that's not theirs then its comes off as disrespectful but there's a clear difference between two unless you lack comphrension skills.
Truth is people have a problem in being straight up and honest with certain things, but people will always get into these conversations with feelings and at some point it becomes a problem, they stop wanting to actually converse and start acting like a spoilt child on a power trip and only see what they want to see which is usually the negative and those types of people only push others further away to the point they don't even bother to trully understand, but then that person is not willing to understand them either and then we're back at the beginning where nothing has changed.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Finally someone who is saying it. Thank you because I read rather disturbing stuffs here regarding races.
We need a 💯 reaction

gongchan

Izz/Phoenix
Reactions Received
Website
theghostofwind.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Bana
Pronouns
he/him
Ship
Wreck

bye
No, it is not a "racist comment" in the slightest. You should know your boundaries, because you are not black. We will never understand what black people go through, and you are just being ignorant right now. To add on, you cannot be racist to white people as we are not oppressed. There is not systemic racism towards white people. Please do try and educate yourself better.

Tickita

♦️🍰♥️
Reactions Received
Website
tickittaa.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
KingCassie
Pronouns
she, her, mrrp
I'm on the clock right now, so I can't respond how I want to at the moment, but thanks for using the energy I don't have to explain.

Not referring to any user nor the chat thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread