COME JOIN US!
We are a completely independent community, and we're here to help you learn about KPOP! We are free from and do not profit from any advertisements. We hope that you can discuss KPOP with us without ad-blockers.
Register Now

My Birthday... Am I A Brat? (1 Viewer)

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
So my birthday is tomorrow and I'm a little sad about it. It could be just a chemical thing because I am just naturally prone to having my moods go up and down but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I usually feel like this around my birthday every year.

So basically, there are no plans for my birthday again this year. My mum told me this morning that she was just gonna get my dad to take me to KFC but I'm not really feeling that idea. I get why they thought that would be nice, we haven't been out to eat at all this year and usually KFC is my favourite junk food but there's just something really depressing about driving 45 minutes to sit in a car park and gorge on fried chicken while radio 2 plays in the background and me and my dad try to make small talk... Do you know what I mean?

This is the part I'm dreading most though, a few weeks ago my mum asked me if I wanted a new phone. I told her no because I don't really use the one that I already have because it gives me anxiety plus I don't really have anyone to talk to on it besides the people that I see on a daily basis anyway so it'd be kind a waste of money. Bare in mind, that we've had the same conversation for at least THREE YEARS IN A ROW around my birthday. On my 23rd birthday, my mum said they would take the phone back and trade it for something else but my dad ended up keeping it and using it for himself. Lat year, a week before my birthday, they took me to Argos and I told them I didn't want one again which basically meant that I got no gift on my birthday. I didn't mind so much at the time because I was kind of expecting it and I had planned a trip to London for my birthday weekend with my sister (she was a miserable bitch the whole time and ruined it but that wasn't my parents fault lol).

So now I'm in this state of limbo where I'm either gonna have nothing special happening for my birthday OR I'm gonna be stuck with a new phone that I don't want and have my sister constantly harassing me on it! I know that I'm about to turn 25 and I really shouldn't be expecting my family to be making such a fuss over me but it's just a little depressing that this KEEPS HAPPENING every year and no one tries to do anything different plus when I try to plan my own thing someone ruins it with their stinking attitude.

It wouldn't even bother me that much if it wasn't for the fact that my mum and my sister always manage to make me feel guilty about not being happy or not having a good time when no one really tries to make sure I'm gonna enjoy the day, do you know what I mean?

Anyway, I know I probably sounded bratty as f*** but it's just something that's been on my mind all day and I think I had to type it out somewhere and get it off my chest...​

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
I don't think that is bratty at all imo. I have similar experiences with birthdays and Christmas so I get you. I just wish I could give you some advice but I didn't even figure anything out to deal with my family about this. The only thing I can imagine is that you actively try to suggest something different instead of saying that you wouldn't want a phone. If they can't come up with any better ideas or time to go out eat somewhere more fancier maybe or do something else that's out of the ordinary, it kinda has to be yourself to control the outcome a bit more?

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
I don't think that is bratty at all imo. I have similar experiences with birthdays and Christmas so I get you. I just wish I could give you some advice but I didn't even figure anything out to deal with my family about this. The only thing I can imagine is that you actively try to suggest something different instead of saying that you wouldn't want a phone. If they can't come up with any better ideas or time to go out eat somewhere more fancier maybe or do something else that's out of the ordinary, it kinda has to be yourself to control the outcome a bit more?
Yeah, the only thing with going to a restaurant right now is the virus... I'm part of the at risk group so I've got to be careful.

Yili

♥ Stay • Czennie • Teume • Moodz • One-It • Nia ♥
Reactions Received
Website
flyhighyili.carrd.co
Fandom
Multi <3
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
I don't think it's wrong no matter your age to want your birthday to be full of events that you would actually enjoy. I don't know what kind of advice to give though :/ I've never been big about birthdays myself so I don't plan too much. I guess since my birthday was recently I just made an effort to plan out my own birthday celebration with my family so we can do what I want

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
I don't think it's wrong no matter your age to want your birthday to be full of events that you would actually enjoy. I don't know what kind of advice to give though :/ I've never been big about birthdays myself so I don't plan too much. I guess since my birthday was recently I just made an effort to plan out my own birthday celebration with my family so we can do what I want
Yeah, I probably would've planned to go away for a weekend or something but COVID-19 kind of made that a no go lol

Yili

♥ Stay • Czennie • Teume • Moodz • One-It • Nia ♥
Reactions Received
Website
flyhighyili.carrd.co
Fandom
Multi <3
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Yeah, I probably would've planned to go away for a weekend or something but COVID-19 kind of made that a no go lol
It's not the best time to celebrate a birthday for sure, I hope you can have fun! If anything you can spend the whole day doing absolutely nothing except eat and drink, that's my kind of birthday

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Yeah, the only thing with going to a restaurant right now is the virus... I'm part of the at risk group so I've got to be careful.
Yeah the covid situation made mostly all events kind of a let down, especially for someone part of the risk group as you said you gotta be extra careful

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
It's not the best time to celebrate a birthday for sure, I hope you can have fun! If anything you can spend the whole day doing absolutely nothing except eat and drink, that's my kind of birthday
Yeah the covid situation made mostly all events kind of a let down, especially for someone part of the risk group as you said you gotta be extra careful
Yeah, I'm hoping that my niece and nephew are gonna come up with something sweet, there only 8 and 10 but I swear to God they get my more than the rest of my family! LOL

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Yeah, I'm hoping that my niece and nephew are gonna come up with something sweet, there only 8 and 10 but I swear to God they get my more than the rest of my family! LOL
Honestly, little kids gifting you something self made on your birthday is the sweetest thing ever. They are so pure, don't care about the worth of money so they rather just use their time to create something themselves instead of buying something

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
Honestly, little kids gifting you something self made on your birthday is the sweetest thing ever. They are so pure, don't care about the worth of money so they rather just use their time to create something themselves instead of buying something
My sister normally let's them pick something out for me, usually from a dollar store type place and I those are usually my favourite gifts that I receive on my birthday or Christmas.

Pall_Jonsson

Music Head for the Ages
Reactions Received
Fandom
Queen
Pronouns
He/Him
My parents and family stopped celebrating my birthday when I turned 18. Which is so long ago now.
It's not bratty to want a good birthday and people to care.

And my mood gets killed on my birthday too, so I can relate to that.
I have the same feelings as you, but now I just don't care.

Because no one really does anything for it for me, so I just see it as another day which is kind of depressing.

Reactions Received
Here you go Yoda here's a song you can play on your birthday

Edit: Even if it's being a brat it is your brithday. You can be a brat on your birthday. But I don't think you're being a brat

dnb

Looking for Table Unnie
Reactions Received
It sounds like your family really wants to give you something. That "something" just happens to be a phone. Why not suggest something else? A new laptop, or some stuff from SM Global Shop/NCT?

Reactions Received
Ship
Aw I totally get it. I have had many similar situations and there's nothing wrong with wanting your loved ones to make you feel special for once... I hope your bday will be nicer than expected <3

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread