COME JOIN US!
We are FREE from advertisements & not for profit, discuss KPOP without ad-blockers.
Register Now

new regulations on dubbing (1 Viewer)

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
so instead of production outsourcing the dubbers, now it's on the actors themselves to provide the dubbing
at least there's more incentive for the younger actors to take line delivery more seriously now? idk it it'll push more of them into moderns though

makes me think of this old interview lol
Q&A With Voice Artist on Why Dubbing Will Never Die

Reactions Received
Fandom
multi BG
Wreck
I am glad, we are finally gonna hear the beautiful voices of our favs. I think China is so rich in dialects and accents and the country needs to appreciate it more. of course, I can´t really tell the difference but I am sure there are many Chinese that are gonna be happy to hear and learn other local languages. Subtitles can always be provided for better understanding since I have heard that some actors have more prominent accents.

mysteric

Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
I am glad, we are finally gonna hear the beautiful voices of our favs. I think China is so rich in dialects and accents and the country needs to appreciate it more. of course, I can´t really tell the difference but I am sure there are many Chinese that are gonna be happy to hear and learn other local languages. Subtitles can always be provided for better understanding since I have heard that some actors have more prominent accents.
yeah I’m getting sick of hearing some of the vas tbh :yolk:
even if the dubbing is sometimes done to make the voice “fit” more than the actual actor’s I wish they would still use the original voice; I love zhou xun’s deeper and raspier voice as her huang rong for example
but to be perfectly blunt, yeahhh some people just suck with their accents
if the cast of minning town could learn these northeastern dialects for one job, I honestly don’t see any reason why some more experienced actors still can’t get their standard mandarin to a workable level—it doesn’t have to be communications student level perfect but it shouldn’t be off putting to viewers once they hit a certain point in their career
speaking of minning town, I hope that the success of the dialect version gets more production companies to use dialects in the script

Reactions Received
Fandom
multi BG
Wreck
yeah I’m getting sick of hearing some of the vas tbh :yolk:
even if the dubbing is sometimes done to make the voice “fit” more than the actual actor’s I wish they would still use the original voice; I love zhou xun’s deeper and raspier voice as her huang rong for example
but to be perfectly blunt, yeahhh some people just suck with their accents
if the cast of minning town could learn these northeastern dialects for one job, I honestly don’t see any reason why some more experienced actors still can’t get their standard mandarin to a workable level—it doesn’t have to be communications student level perfect but it shouldn’t be off putting to viewers once they hit a certain point in their career
speaking of minning town, I hope that the success of the dialect version gets more production companies to use dialects in the script
yes, yes. though, British actors also have to learn RP to be more flexible with roles. you can´t always make it work that someone is from the North when the film is based on a book and the actor is playing a character who KNOWINGLY comes from a posh elite born and bread in the Oxford area. but China needs to open its eyes and appreciate the variety in dialects and actually incorporate it so that people don´t feel like they are being step on for being from this part or that part.
here, my daily doze of naïve dreaming :D

Vikki

Lex's Sweets Twinsie
Reactions Received
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Read that as dabbing and was confused but pleased :dab:

mysteric

Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
yes, yes. though, British actors also have to learn RP to be more flexible with roles. you can´t always make it work that someone is from the North when the film is based on a book and the actor is playing a character who KNOWINGLY comes from a posh elite born and bread in the Oxford area. but China needs to open its eyes and appreciate the variety in dialects and actually incorporate it so that people don´t feel like they are being step on for being from this part or that part.
here, my daily doze of naïve dreaming :D
china and dialects is weird tbh, though I also understand that productions have to work within the tv regulations (the whole everyone has to be able to understand what y’all are saying on tv because not all dialects are mutually comprehensible deal)
like “rural” accents are looked down upon (normal across culture tbf), northeastern has the connotation of being more boisterous/funny, etc so that’s often how they get used in dramas :wimwim: I feel like 90% of the use of the rural accents tend to be in the “xyz is in a big city but comes from a rural area and to show everyone how girlboss she is to have made it out, let’s make every single one of her other family members look and sound very stereotypically rural farmer” which…. yeah there’s a lot to unpack there !! nearly as bad as how terribly central asians and the northern nomadic tribes are coded in media
minning town is a very solid drama that heavily incorporates dialect, at least in its original dialect version for online streaming
would recommend if you’re looking for a good production (everyone stuck around the desert ish area for the filming and they even grew the mushrooms themselves) with excellent performances (rayzha and bai yufan especially stood out to me as newer faces) as long as you don’t mind that it’s a propaganda dramas for the poverty alleviation settlement program :runrunrun:

mysteric

Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
Read that as dabbing and was confused but pleased :dab:
they have unfortunately not banned dabbing or t-posing but really, they need better wireworks teachers because the t-posing looks so stupid

Reactions Received
Fandom
multi BG
Wreck
china and dialects is weird tbh, though I also understand that productions have to work within the tv regulations (the whole everyone has to be able to understand what y’all are saying on tv because not all dialects are mutually comprehensible deal)
like “rural” accents are looked down upon (normal across culture tbf), northeastern has the connotation of being more boisterous/funny, etc so that’s often how they get used in dramas :wimwim: I feel like 90% of the use of the rural accents tend to be in the “xyz is in a big city but comes from a rural area and to show everyone how girlboss she is to have made it out, let’s make every single one of her other family members look and sound very stereotypically rural farmer” which…. yeah there’s a lot to unpack there !! nearly as bad as how terribly central asians and the northern nomadic tribes are coded in media
minning town is a very solid drama that heavily incorporates dialect, at least in its original dialect version for online streaming
would recommend if you’re looking for a good production (everyone stuck around the desert ish area for the filming and they even grew the mushrooms themselves) with excellent performances (rayzha and bai yufan especially stood out to me as newer faces) as long as you don’t mind that it’s a propaganda dramas for the poverty alleviation settlement program :runrunrun:
it is so damn strict and old-fashioned. haven´t we moved forward from being arrogant enough that people from one part of the country are better than the others? apparently .. no. but I am not blaming it on China, it will take centuries to change that, I assume, but at least we have learnt to hide our close mildness a bit more. I have a friend from China who told me she was laughed at in Shanghai for being from "the poorer region". I could not comprehend this. So if you are not from Beijing or Shanghai you are doomed?

mysteric

Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
it is so damn strict and old-fashioned. haven´t we moved forward from being arrogant enough that people from one part of the country are better than the others? apparently .. no. but I am not blaming it on China, it will take centuries to change that, I assume, but at least we have learnt to hide our close mildness a bit more. I have a friend from China who told me she was laughed at in Shanghai for being from "the poorer region". I could not comprehend this. So if you are not from Beijing or Shanghai you are doomed?
it depends on the accent as well and the context, some care a lot and others less so unless it starts veering into "I literally cannot understand a word you're saying" territory, which actually happens more often than you'd think lol
standard mandarin is seen as the standard so in professional circles there's definitely bias against those who have a clear accent, it's kind of like an education flex since all regions do have slight accents (really, state television newscasters are the only people to have "perfect" mandarin) so to have very good standard mandarin presents the idea that you had a good education
but having city accents/speaking local city dialects can also make you sound more native to the city if that makes sense, which can be seen as a flex; I'm not native for example so I often get complimented if I can understand certain dialects/accents because it presents the idea that me and my family are more "connected" to the city and thus more legit so to speak (or if the accent is just generally understood to be one of the less comprehendible ones)

the eastern provinces near the ocean were really prosperous historically because of trade so their stuff tends to be stereotyped as more refined, there's also the association by some that the wu state dialects sound more melodic and softer, the suzhou dialect is a good example of that
the shandong dialect is funny actually; they used to be a german colony (hence tsingdao beer) so even their sentence structure kind of mirrors the german one which I find absurdly funny, like once you get past the accent it sounds like english google translated into chinese
and a lot of historically poor provinces in the northwest and south tend to have their dialects seen as more uncouth, but then to people who come from those regions, it's a lot more familiar and home-like (as with all accents)
the dialects from the bigger cities tend to vary too, I think it's the beijing one that tends to be very polarizing (not a fan, too harsh for me), then wuhan dialect often gets complaints about being too angry-sounding/aggressive (which funnily enough, is now mostly just the hankou dialect which is the richer of the three parts of the city, instead of the "poorer" ones like wuchang), the changsha (and hunan in general) dialect is a popular one to drag but then again it's also a more historically "backwards" region.... (but it get a slight boost since mao is from there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
in general though, southern accents tend to be softer, drop the nasal "ng" sound, etc; northern accents tend to sound more aggressive/macho (?) sounding, more emphasis on the "r" sounds, etc so a lot of it comes down to whatever the listener prefers or what they're more used to
overall, I think it depends on the context, some listener bias, and historical geopolitics

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread