'Obsolescent' vs 'Obsolete'; did this usage make sense to you? (1 Viewer)

SaranghaeRosie

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
Fandom
GoldenStar
I added GeoCities at the last second to my other thread as info cos i read/reminded of it as a free online website builder site i used b4. But this word use rlly bugged me:

Wikipedia states:
"GeoCities was one of the first more modern site builders that didn't require any technical skills. Five years after its launch in 1994 Yahoo! purchased it for $3.6 billion. After becoming obsolescent, it was shut down in April 2009."

I found this definition online of 'obsolescent':
obsolescent
[ ob-suh-les-uhnt ]
Synonyms of obsolescent | Thesaurus.com
adjective
1. becoming obsolete; passing out of use, as a word:an obsolescent term."

N this definition of 'obsolete' online:
obsolete
[ ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet ]

adjective
1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse:an obsolete expression.
2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date:an obsolete battleship.
verb (used with object), ob·so·let·ed, ob·so·let·ing.
1. to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better; antiquate:Automation has obsoleted many factory workers."

I rlly disagree with the use of 'obsolescent' (adjective describing like adverb) instead of 'obsolete' (adjective describing like noun) in the Wikipedia article, but Wikipedia is notorious for protecting its editors sacred ground so i hv to make my small protest here against semantical inaccuracy, i know words n spelling no longer hold sway as they once did, so im adjusted my spelking n grandma/grammar to modern-ish standards, i no longer (except in my mind) even rail against decimation/decimated instead of the more generalised destruction/demolished when tat is the intent. But ig no one much cares abt this at all tat i know of, unless... @Jimimis (sigh username changed or sth)

PS i know tat i hv no wherewithal to correct others' language skills when mine r lacking, but the difference is tat here in this specific case im posting abt i'm right n everybody else is wrong, whereas it's my choice in typing/using the words indo, so there. Im not a language bully, tats the difference. Im not trying to gang up or shame anyone for their word/typing skills or apparent age. I think the article maker is trying to show off their wide vocabulary n brilliance n i may be accused of doing so too, but the difference is tat im right n they're wrong n im pointing out tat opinion here. End lecture, read or dont read but tats ur choice. Wall of text is indicator of style n whether it fits ur choice to read or not to read, so there.

milk

Rookie
Reactions Received
It was used right, no?

"Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order. ... Obsolete refers to something that is already disused or discarded, or antiquated."

Yili

♡ GOT7 x IGOT7 ♡
Reactions Received
Ship
I think it is a word that makes sense but in context and in American vernacular at least literally no one uses that word

Obsolescent just sounds like adolescent or incandescent or something like that haha

milk

Rookie
Reactions Received
I think it is a word that makes sense but in context and in American vernacular at least literally no one uses that word

Obsolescent just sounds like adolescent or incandescent or something like that haha
yeah that's what it reminds me of too lol they could have just used obsolete. it sounds kind of awkward

SaranghaeRosie

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Website
Fandom
GoldenStar
It was used right, no?

"Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order. ... Obsolete refers to something that is already disused or discarded, or antiquated."
You cannot "becoming obsolescent" if its already past, my whole post/thread is all about the meaning of words, im just pedantic tat way.

It should have stated "after becoming obsolete" in my opinion and according to my understanding of the definitions i quoted, im right.

I still love ya even if i think ur wrong tho. LOL.

I think ur wrong abt this too.

milk

Rookie
Reactions Received
You cannot "becoming obsolescent" if its already past, my whole post/thread is all about the meaning of words, im just pedantic tat way.

It should have stated "after becoming obsolete" in my opinion and according to my understanding of the definitions i quoted, im right.

I still love ya even if i think ur wrong tho. LOL.

I think ur wrong abt this too.
all i know is that this made my brain hurt :umwhat:
lets dm that wiki and tell them to change it :nayeonisdone:

SaranghaeRosie

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Website
Fandom
GoldenStar
all i know is that this made my brain hurt :umwhat:
lets dm that wiki and tell them to change it :nayeonisdone:
They (in)famously dont change their articles willy-nilly as i said in OP above, their editors hold onto articles as sacred ground and only change things accordingly. I only posted here to rant abt it. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Yukibana and milk

SaranghaeRosie

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Website
Fandom
GoldenStar
we can still protest :pandamad:
I wouldnt bother to. Waste of my time n effort, this much effort n time is all im willing to expend on this matter, n discussing it/dissing the wiki article is more fun (n fruitful) than protesting(or complaining unless it had an effect, then id try, but no).

Let it end in this thread (but not with /)this post).

• Haha
Reactions: Yukibana and milk

SaranghaeRosie

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Website
Fandom
GoldenStar
Both exist in French and I use them so :susPepe: :sakUwu:
I didnt go deeper into the origins of the word cos im just self-learning but i respect ur opinion too. But i wouldnt understand u if you used them in 2 different french sentences, im wondering if i might judge you for using them in 2 different english sentences, i hope not. No need to try tho. I already respect ur opinion on this sight unseen, just for knowing more than 1 language in the first place. Cest bon pour toi ! (From google, srry if the gender/grammar is wrong, LOL) fini

Reactions: Yukibana

Yukibana

Star
Top Poster Of Month
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
I didnt go deeper into the origins of the word cos im just self-learning but i respect ur opinion too. But i wouldnt understand u if you used them in 2 different french sentences, im wondering if i might judge you for using them in 2 different english sentences, i hope not. No need to try tho. I already respect ur opinion on this sight unseen, just for knowing more than 1 language in the first place. Cest bon pour toi ! (From google, srry if the gender/grammar is wrong, LOL) fini
Merci :nekolove: :nekolove:

• Love
Reactions: SaranghaeRosie

SaranghaeRosie

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Website
Fandom
GoldenStar
  • Love
Reactions: Yukibana