COME JOIN US!
We are a completely independent community, and we're here to help you learn about KPOP! We are free from and do not profit from any advertisements. We hope that you can discuss KPOP with us without ad-blockers.
Register Now

MV (Red Velvet) Zimzalabim Era Analysis (1 Viewer)

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
As many of you have seen, despite Zimzalabim being deemed as a "weird" song, it does, in fact, have an overall concept. Though the concept may not be very specific, the "vibe" of Zimzalabim was intended to be a combination of every era, which became quite clear after the first comeback poster. To start off, let's view that to get a general understanding of what SM was trying to get across.

The Special Invitation referenced all of their mini-albums.

Firstly, we see Reve (the robot from the Redmare concerts) go through the amusement park, which consists of every Red Velvet era.

The first attraction we see as Reve quickly flies through the amusement park is Ice Cream Cake, which just so happens to be next to Happiness (chronological order).

The cake in the attraction is very similar to the cake the girls' cut in the ICC music video, though it is not the same.

The next attractions are a bit difficult to see, so it's important to look very closely for this one.

In this shot, we first see Reve enter the wolves' mouth from RBB.
As Reve enter the wolves' mouth, we also see the pumpkins in the top left, which also reference RBB.
However, behind the wolf, there appears to be a tropical scene, which is a throwback to the girls' debut single, Happiness.

Related image

We later see Reve enter Happiness era, after passing by a few more pumpkins.

Following the Happiness era comes Rookie. There's no mistaking this era, as it is just as bright and colorful as the MV itself. Included in the amusement park are the spaceships (specfically Joy's) that Red Velvet used at the end of the Rookie MV, proving our observations.

Animated GIF
Image result for rookie mv

We even get a quick glimpse of the flower monster from the Rookie MV, which, in my opinion, should be Red Velvet's mascot tbh.

He then enters a blue wardrobe to move on to the next era.

However, many people don't realize that this may be a reference to the One Of These Nights (OOTN) concept pictures. A lot of fans were quite confused when OOTN was left out, but though there was just a small amount of content, there is some content, nonetheless.

After going through the wardrobe, we see Reve enter this scene;

In the to right, at the Ferris Wheel, we see the Power Up era. Not only do we see the drinks that were in the concept photos, we also see the Power Up fruits, such as the pineapples and the watermelons.

Drinks:
(
)
I couldn't find the specific one, but here's a good idea of what it probably looked like.

We also see the mechanical scene that is a reference to the workshop/factory in Dumb Dumb. In that specific shot, we also see a crane picking up a certain object, which we did see in the Dumb Dumb music video.

Reve then flies into the air, and invites us to our first attraction; Zimzalabim.

As for the Instagram post Red Velvet made, I will post them here so you can see them yourself.

Rookie:

Happiness + OOTN:

Dumb Dumb+ ICC:

(Looking closer at it, you can see Dumb Dumb's chessboard and machines a bit better.)

Automatic (car) + Power Up:

(The Instagram comments noticed the Automatic car, not I)
RBB + Bad Boy(cliffs) + Power Up:

(Props to @dnb for correcting this :sanapray: )

RBB + Power Up:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, onto the MV. 😅

The first thing to notice when looking at a music video is most likely the visual. And SM wanted to make sure that the visual really stood out in Zimzalabim with the styling. From what I've seen, the styling seemed to be based mainly on RBB.

Looking at all of the members styling, the moon crescent design seems to be another throwback to RBB.

RBB:

Another thing to notice is the similarities in Wendy's teaser outfit and Irene's RBB outfit.

We then see a scene in which Seulgi is styled very similarly to her Bad Boy outfit.

Along with the visual, the MV itself has a lot of Red Velvet's past music videos' components in it as well. For example, the "Sappy" themed rollercoaster ride at the beginning.

We also get a shot from above of a cup of tea, which is yet another reference to OOTN.

(ZZB)

(OOTN)

Red Velvet appears to be in a teacup, which is a very common amusement park ride, with sweets, which could reference back to their first Japanese track, #Cookie Jar.

Now, last but not least, comes the iconic Red Velvet table scene, which appears to be in almost every Red Velvet video to date:

(ZZB)

(Automatic)

(Dumb Dumb)

(OOTN)
1561054635500.png

(Russian Roulette)

(Peek A Boo)

(Bad Boy)

(#Cookie Jar)

1561053391909.png

And as of nw, those are all of the references I took from this comeback. This took me about 2 to 3 hours (without stop, I've been working on this since 11:50 AM, it's 2:32 AM) so if you have any requests or anything to add onto this post, feel free to!
Stream Zimzalabim, or the Reve Festival: Day 1!

Attachments

Last edited:

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
Reactions Received
Fandom
Moa
Ship
Wow, this so detailed! Thank you for this analysis - it's really interesting. :nekolove:

Reactions Received
THIS IS AMAZING !!
:queen::queen:

It’s so well thought and the pictures that go along with it are very helpful
Those 2 to 3 hours of hard work really paid of because this is really cool!
You should do this for other mvs too haha, would love to see your analysis on other work too
:pikahappy::sakUwu:

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
Wow, this so detailed! Thank you for this analysis - it's really interesting. :nekolove:
Thank you! I planned on doing this yesterday but didn't have the time, nor motivation haha. I'm glad you liked it!

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
THIS IS AMAZING !!
:queen::queen:

It’s so well thought and the pictures that go along with it are very helpful
Those 2 to 3 hours of hard work really paid of because this is really cool!
You should do this for other mvs too haha, would love to see your analysis on other work too
:pikahappy::sakUwu:
Thank youuuu!~
Yeah, I've been working on this non stop lmao. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures, because that's what took the longest, was finding the references and remembering where they came from. Luckily, I've watched all of RV's work over 20 times (lmao) so I could recognize things easily sksks.
I'll be looking forward to it. If I thought about it earlier, KTL would have been cool to do.

lexus

Tea Demon 🍵
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
This is such a great analysis. You’ve put a lot of thought into this. :pandaamazed:

Chahee

Antifragile
Reactions Received
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Feels good a mv so well produced

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
And here I was thinking it was yet another colourful MV. Flop Velvet kweens
Nah. All of Red Velvet's MV have some meaning. Believe it or not, even Rookie contributed to this.

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
Feels good a mv so well produced
Yeah, feels nice after Sappy lmao. Sappy honestly wasn't bad at all, but that greenscreen killed me.
The rest of the MV was really nice though.

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie
Reactions Received
Great post. I have just one comment. In the following photo

the pink cliffs are a reference to Bad Boy. In the RBB MV, the Howliwood sign was standing on a pile of black dirt that was supposed to look like some mountain.

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
Great post. I have just one comment. In the following photo

the pink cliffs are a reference to Bad Boy. In the RBB MV, the Howliwood sign was standing on a pile of black dirt that was supposed to look like some mountain.
What in Bad Boy though? I thought it was RBB, as it's the same font, and it's on a cliff. Also, the Howliwood sign was supposed to represent Hollywood's sign irl.

dnb

Supporting Table Unnie
Reactions Received
What in Bad Boy though? I thought it was RBB, as it's the same font, and it's on a cliff. Also, the Howliwood sign was supposed to represent Hollywood's sign irl.
These pink cliffs in the background:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread