Should cheerleading be included in the Olympics? (1 Viewer)

Vikki

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I was originally a skeptic because I felt that cheerleading was too dominated by one country (the USA), but it turns out that there's over 70 countries who participated at the World Championships in 2019. However, there's still a couple points I feel like make me unsure of whether it should be competed in at the Olympics.
Firstly, I think the scoring is too subjective. While some sports have a performance factor, I feel like most are judged purely on skill. Cheerleading has a performance score (which is contested by a lot of people who feel it doesn't belong).
secondly, most, if not all, all star cheerleaders don't train quite as much as Olympic gymnasts (the best comparison I could think of), which shows in the tumbling imo. It's true that cheerleaders also have stunting, which gymnastics doesn't have, but gymnastics also has other events. Some moves that olympic gymnasts would compete easily are banned from cheerleading because of the risk of injury. It also has less intense stunting than acrobatic gymnastics, but again it has more tumbling.
That being said I definitely think it deserves the sport status it gained by the IOC, I just wouldn't put it into the olympics with some changes to the scoring at least.
For those of you who don't know what all star cheerleading is like, here's a video of a world championship level routine.

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him
I mean from what I've seen of cheerleading it's questionable why it hasn't been included. They started adding some new stuff for the next one already and I hope they are going to continue to do so.

Reactions: Vikki and OnlyCalB

OnlyCalB

GG Trash / Roulette Team
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
Yeah for sure. With adjustments to how it will be scored Cheerleading would be a good thing to include in the Olympics.

Reactions: Vikki

Vikki

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Yeah for sure. With adjustments to how it will be scored Cheerleading would be a good thing to include in the Olympics.
Fun fact, England have taken home some medals for cheerleading worlds :sanapray:

• Wow
Reactions: OnlyCalB

Vikki

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I mean from what I've seen of cheerleading it's questionable why it hasn't been included. They started adding some new stuff for the next one already and I hope they are going to continue to do so.
A lot of people still have the misconception that people mean sideline cheer which is primarily dancing and cheering with some basic tumbling and stunts. There's still people who think it shouldnt even be a sport which is stupid :jisoosmh:

Reactions: OnlyCalB and Myco

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him
A lot of people still have the misconception that people mean sideline cheer which is primarily dancing and cheering with some basic tumbling and stunts. There's still people who think it shouldnt even be a sport which is stupid :jisoosmh:
adding it to the olympic roster could help with that a lot :icgyu:

Reactions: OnlyCalB and Vikki

OnlyCalB

GG Trash / Roulette Team
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
Fun fact, England have taken home some medals for cheerleading worlds :sanapray:
LOL! I had no idea we had such a great Cheerleading statistic.

I've never seen a single British cheerleading squad at any Football match I've been to (or seen on TV and I've watched thousands in my time). Nor are there any from the schools, collages or University's around my local area so I have no idea where these Cheerleading squads reside.
:dubuthink: :sanathink: :lisalaugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Vikki

OnlyCalB

GG Trash / Roulette Team
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him/Card Master
@Abeamus tagging you here as I have a question for you:

You live in the UK right? Have you seen any Cheerleading squads around at all?

I haven't so I'm curious if it's just my part of England that lacks the Cheerleading variety.
:susPepe:

Reactions: Abeamus and Vikki

Vikki

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
LOL! I had no idea we had such a great Cheerleading statistic.

I've never seen a single British cheerleading squad at any Football match I've been to (or seen on TV and I've watched thousands in my time). Nor are there any from the schools, collages or University's around my local area so I have no idea where these Cheerleading squads reside.
:dubuthink: :sanathink: :lisalaugh:
Usually those at games and schools aren't the real thing, they're not the ones making it to worlds. Also it was only out of 1 division out of a lot, but it's still an achievement for sure :sanapray:

Reactions: OnlyCalB
Reactions Received
@Abeamus tagging you here as I have a question for you:

You live in the UK right? Have you seen any Cheerleading squads around at all?

I haven't so I'm curious if it's just my part of England that lacks the Cheerleading variety.
:susPepe:
No I haven't seen or heard anything cheerleading related in my area :dubuthink:

• Haha
Reactions: OnlyCalB and Vikki

Tickita

𝕄𝕞𝕞𝕙 𝕄𝕞𝕞𝕙. 🌹
Reactions Received
Website
tickita.carrd.co
Pronouns
she, her, auntie
Idk much about scoring, but yes I think it should