COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Should we cancel celebrities for their crimes? (1 Viewer)

Cancel culture..

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions Received
KS Coins

Questions asked;
  1. I would buy an artists work even if they committed a violent crime.
  2. Cancel culture is out of control.
  3. The public should hold celebrities accountable when the justice system fails.

I feel like most celebs get 'cancelled' over minuscule things and criminals like chris brown or rkelly never get 'cancelled'. I have yet to see anyone who has gotten 'cancelled' be impacted negatively. Cancel culture is bogus :sippinthetea:

Thoughts?

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Depends on the crime, evidence, people involved, ect. For example if someone was speeding imo no, but if someone murdered a person, then yeah. :zoomeyes:
But it also depends on your own beliefs of what right and wrong are.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Depends on the crime, evidence, people involved, ect. For example if someone was speeding imo no, but if someone murdered a person, then yeah. :zoomeyes:
But it also depends on your own beliefs of what right and wrong are.
Tbh this is how I feel. Like there is just no way in hell I'm ever gonna forgive or """get over""" what Seungri did. Sorry not sorry, and even though cancel culture IS getting out of control- this is an actual situation where I will wholeheartedly say that Seungri is cancelled. But if they got a parking ticket or stole some gum from a corner store then.....eh.....

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Im against cancel culture, but im not against people stopping supporting artist over serious crimes. Issue i have with cancel culture is that it ignores intention of person and digs old stuff even decade old to suddenly cancel the person.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
If this is about Seungri, his songs are bops and I will continue listening to them.

I really don't connect their careers with their crimes, since those usually aren't connected.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
yeah but some assholes made a documentary out of the blue recently
Yeah so I heard, but at this point I don't even care. His case always comes up every few years or so and it's always a war between his fans and those who hated him ever since the scandal broke out. They say there's evidence to prove he did and there's evidence to prove he didn't, but all I'm saying is that if there truly was a definite answer to whether he's guilty or not there would only be enough evidence to support only one side.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Did they? :dubuthink:
At this point a girl doesn't even know, but until they find something that completely tells if he was guilty or not (like it even matters at this point) 'You Rock My World' will always be the bop of the century :wonugl:

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Its your money at the end of the day. Do with it as you like.

Ems

No.1 Kim Woobin Lover
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I have a sort of in the middle opinion on this situation. If you were to commit a crime as a normal person, then your life will completely change. You will lose your job because most places don't want your association to affect their reputation with customers, some laws depending on your crime require you to inform neighbors of your bad deed, sometimes you're not welcomed back to the state, and society treats you differently in prison and out of prison. You get "rehabilitated," but life is fucked up when you're out of the cell.

A celebrity should be no exemption to this, and therefore should not get any special treatment. However, when you cancel a celebrity you lose the opportunity for education and making strides to help improve society. If these wrongdoers are shunned away into the darkest corners to never come out and rid of their existence instead of spending their life educating others about what they did wrong, why you shouldn't do the same, and helping to improve a cause. It is not suicide or locking a person away their whole life that makes them pay, but it is rehashing the guilt over and over again as they tell their stories, their wrongs, and educate the generations to come.

And the biggest downside to canceling a celebrity to the point of their own existence is that outside the victims a good number of people forget and move on with their lives. Anyone here remember Kevin Spacey? He is off the face of the Earth. Remember the hype of Charlie Sheen and tiger blood? Don't get me started on the Pauls of Youtube. I think of the #MeToo movement and how so many victims built courage to speak out, but we should evolve into a society where it's the criminals that are speaking of their wrongdoing. Cancel culture is like the thoughts and prayers that bring attention to an issue that eventually dies down and moves onto another issue with nothing learned or done of the last to better society.

lexus

Pinkchella
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
It depends on the severity of the crime. If they raped, murdered, assaulted, (etc.) someone then I'm cancelling them entirely. I won't support them whatsoever. I remember a few years ago there were some songs I liked by Lostprophets, but I cancelled them entirely because the lead singer attempted to molest a one year old baby. I deleted their songs and everything. Maybe I shouldn't have erased them all because their songs have nothing to do the crime, but I did it anyways.

To answer your question, I think cancel culture can go way too far such as, the YG boycott. Will I support Seungri and YG after what they did? No. However, I still might listen to Seungri's music and I'll definitely listen to Bigbang's music simply because I still like it.

I think cancelling over little crimes is just stupid and completely pointless though.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I do in fact no longer support at all those who cross my lines.
I choose to spend my time with those i can respect.

Bom

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Celebs who commit violent crimes should always be cancelled imo.
But this cancel culture of you said something on twitter 5 years ago when you were a dumb kid so we're gonna tear you down now for it is ridiculous. People grow and change.

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
I personally don't like cancel culture because it's become so extreme.

To answer your question for me it really depends on the severity of the crime. In Seungri's situation I haven't listened to any of his music mainly out of anger at the man but that's not to say that I wont ever start listening to his music again in the future because I do enjoy it. I don't believe that if someone listens to his music that they think what he did was right, music is music and people listen to what they find enjoyable.

Les

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Not really, but I can't stand blind oppaologists 😄

And I have no pity for people like JJY, Seungri and chingus.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Pronouns
She/Her
It depends on the severity of the crime. If they raped, murdered, assaulted, (etc.) someone then I'm cancelling them entirely. I won't support them whatsoever. I remember a few years ago there were some songs I liked by Lostprophets, but I cancelled them entirely because the lead singer attempted to molest a one year old baby. I deleted their songs and everything. Maybe I shouldn't have erased them all because their songs have nothing to do the crime, but I did it anyways.

To answer your question, I think cancel culture can go way too far such as, the YG boycott. Will I support Seungri and YG after what they did? No. However, I still might listen to Seungri's music and I'll definitely listen to Bigbang's music simply because I still like it.

I think cancelling over little crimes is just stupid and completely pointless though.
The Lostprophets were pretty much the anthem to mine and my high school friend’s lives, when the news came out I felt physically sick. He’s serving a 35yr sentence for that and he can rot in jail.

I’m not the biggest fan of BigBang’s music anyway so in Seungri’s case it doesn’t really affect me as much, but BigBang as four members will be fine. The recent spat of things that happened years ago (like all these school bullying accusations flying about) are ridiculous. It’s become so easy to say x did this and y did that, people instantly believe it without even checking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread