COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Movie Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace Review (1 Viewer)

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
WARNING! THE FOLLOWING REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS EP. I: THE PHANTOM MENACE!

My second review of the day and the first of the prequel trilogy; I really wanted to like this movie and I did... kinda... sorta. I really can't decide whether the positives out way the negatives or not. The story is good, the human characters are mostly good even if the dialog is a clunky in places and visually it all looks stunning but then there's everything else... Like I just mentioned the dialog is extremely hit or miss and with young Anakin it's almost always a miss. I know a lot of people have complained about the quality of Jake Lloyd's acting but I would argue that he wasn't really given the best material to work with either. Then there is the thinly veiled racial stereotypes that plague the alien raced depicted in this movie, I swear to God when I first heard the Neimoidians speak, I face palmed!

Let's start off with the good, two words: Liam Neeson! I knew from the one or two times I'd watched this movie as a kid that his character dies and I spent the majority of the movie thinking, "No! He's too cool to die!" but alas George Lucas broke my heart... McGregor was also good so I'm looking forward to seeing what he's like in the next two movies but personally, I preferred Neeson, he was just so captivating to watch on screen and perfectly embodied the aura that a Jedi Knight is supposed to have!

Once again, I really enjoyed the storytelling here. I love the way George Lucas always creates multiple plots and weaves them all in together instead of just having one main objecting within the movie although this is the first movie he's written single-handedly for the franchise since A New Hope and I'm afraid to say, a lot of the weaknesses in that movie's writing can also be seen again here. Lucas does seem to have gotten a better grip on how characters should react to certain life events, for example if we were to compare Luke's leaving Tatooine with Obi Wan Kenobi to Anakin leaving Tatooine with Qui-Gon Jinn, Anakin's reaction in a 100% more realistic given his situation even if the dialog still misses the mark in helping to convey the emotion but a 9-year-old boy would be initially excited and then sad once he realised that he was leaving his mother behind whereas I still am not over Luke's non-reaction to his aunt and uncle being murdered (read my first review)! Basically, the point that I'm trying to make is that I really like Lucas' storytelling but I feel like he struggles to capture emotional depth within his dialog.

Personally, I find George Lucas to be a much stronger director than a writer, this entire movie is visually stunning. The shots are unique and interesting, the set design is unreal and the COSTUMING, THE COSTUMING...

and the title of American's Next Drag Super Star goes to...
Padmé Amidala, Queen of Empty Space | WIRED

NATALIE MOTHERF*CKING PORTMAN!!!

Another thing that I really enjoyed about this movie was the AMAZING fight choreography by Nick Gillard, it really helped elevate the whole movie in my opinion. It's one of the things that I actually think they managed to improve from the original trilogy! The fights here are so much cooler than the plain out sword fighting in the first three movies. It kind of makes you realise that we never really got to see Luke as a fully trained Jedi Master (you shoulda finished your training in Dagobah, Luke... smh). Did you know they used air rams instead of wires for all of the flips and jumps? So there were people that were actually getting catapulted into the air to do all of those tricks!!! I just read about it on Wikipedia and now I'm shook!

Now... it's time to address the elephant in the room: JarJar Binks. I really wanted to like him, I really did. I knew that he was almost universally despised by the fandom but I was trying to keep an open mind as there had been things in the original trilogy that I'd been told were disliked that I actually enjoyed, like the Ewoks! But the Gungans are no Ewoks... I I just don't get the point behind JarJar, like what were you thinking, George? Don't get me wrong, the character design for the Gungans as a species is pretty cool and visually I totally get the idea of them but the characterisation? No. I get that he's supposed to be a comic relief character and in fairness, there are a couple of moments towards the beginning of the movie where I did find him to be relatively charming but as the story progressed and things started to take a more serious turn, his charm wore off for me. I don't think I've specified this in any of my previous reviews but I HATE cowardly characters especially ones that don't even try to be brave, that's probably why I find C-3PO so annoying too. I think JarJar is also the biggest example of an issue I had with this movie as a whole and that is that a lot of the heroic deeds that happen within this movie are done my accident as apposed to intentionally, like when JarJar takes down all those droids or when Anakin destroys the star ship at the end of the movie, I think this robs both characters of potentially redeeming moments.

My Ranking of The Phantom Menace:
2 out of 5 Stars​

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Alright, imma read this tomorrow, if I forget do remind me. Way too tired to try it rn.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Now... it's time to address the elephant in the room: JarJar Binks. I really wanted to like him, I really did. I knew that he was almost universally despised by the fandom but I was trying to keep an open mind as there had been things in the original trilogy that I'd been told were disliked that I actually enjoyed, like the Ewoks! But the Gungans are no Ewoks... I I just don't get the point behind JarJar, ...​
yousa no liken mesa?

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Oh boy I really tried watching this movie so I could make a review but couldn't make it past 30 minutes it was so bad :haylul:

Yachii

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Hackers
About Jar Jar, it was a character intended for the kids. Lucas obviously didn't expect the hatred he received. I did like him however even though I was 34 back then. I think now that Lucas had much more in plan for Jar Jar that he had to abandon. I'll refrain to tell about the theory that go around about him to avoid spoiling the next two movies to you.

I may just say about the whole prequel trilogies that I think Lucas is a genius planning the story, making concepts, and directing the technical aspects of the movie; but in matters of writing dialogs or directing actors, he's an incompetent. Liam Neeson stands out. He is an accomplished actor that can pull a script quite well, but many of the characters would have been much better whether they would have been better directed; specially Jake Lloyd. He should have had heed advise from his crew; but apparently nobody dared to talk because he is George Lucas. Everyone should have had acknowledged that nobody is perfect and Lucas is not god.

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Well I agree with almost everything you said. Except I had literally no quarrel with the kids acting... and never understood why others did lol, blaming a child for a badly written character is just... jeez. Dw tho, next part begins the emo Anakin phase, my most loathed part and the one with... even more questionable dialogue especially with Anakin and Padme...

And yes Liam and Ian were great, tho Ian only becomes really really good in the second, in the first one he's just not as developed.

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Jakey on a roll :maheart:

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
KS Coins
Fandom
arianator
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread