COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Star Wars: The Clone Wars S1 E2 Review (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Lex stan
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
First a summary from The Star Wars Wiki, the link will be below
Aboard the Triumphant, Jedi Master Plo Koon and Clone Commander Wolffe locate the Malevolence in the Abregado system and immediately move the fleet into position to engage it. Before attacking, Plo orders Commander Wolffe to contact Coruscant and relay their position; he then contacts Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano, who are stationed in the nearby Bith system, telling them that he has found the Malevolence and requires reinforcements. Anakin tells Plo that there is little he can do, as he has been ordered by the Jedi High Council to protect the Bith system.

The Triumphant's communications are then jammed by General Grievous at the behest of Count Dooku. The Malevolence's massive ion cannon fires, knocking out power on all three Republic attack cruisers, and leaving them defenseless against Grievous' turbolasers. Plo Koon, along with clone troopers Sinker, Boost and Commander Wolffe, manage to board an escape pod, just before their cruiser is destroyed. Aboard the Malevolence, Dooku orders Grievous to deploy the pod hunters, in order to find and kill any survivors and keep their secret weapon's position a secret.

Meanwhile, Anakin and Ahsoka inform Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu and Yoda, and Chancellor Palpatine, about the loss of communication with Plo Koon. All four tell Anakin and Ahsoka not to go out to the Abregado system to look for survivors, despite Ahsoka's vehement objections. Mace tells Anakin that all their task forces have been assigned to defend their supply lines. After the meeting, Anakin scolds Ahsoka for her outburst of insubordination. Nevertheless, a short time later, they take off for the Abregado System in the Twilight. Huffily, she asks why she got scolded for wanting to do what Anakin has, in fact, decided to do. He explains that he always intended to look for survivors, but will obey the spirit of the Council's orders by leaving his fleet on station.

Back on Coruscant, Obi-Wan, who knows Anakin all too well, guesses that Anakin has gone off alone, and both he and Palpatine issue repeated demands for Anakin to resume command of his fleet.

Back in the debris field, while attempting to fix their escape pod, Plo and the clones spot another pod. However, upon closer inspection, they realize it has been broken open and the clones inside have been killed by a pod hunter. The group then witnesses one of the pod hunters attack another nearby escape pod, breaking it open and killing all inside. Then the pod hunter crew notices their escape pod and latches onto it. Plo and his men fight and destroy the pod hunter, but this alerts Grievous that Republic survivors are still in the debris field.

Soon after Plo's victory, Anakin and Ahsoka arrive and rescue him and his men. As they are preparing to depart, the Malevolence arrives near their location. Anakin and Ahsoka shut down the Twilight's systems, hoping to blend in with the debris and avoid detection.

Unfortunately, they forget to shut down the on-board medical droid, whose faint signal alerts Grievous to their location. Forced to flee the blast from the ion cannon, the Twilight narrowly escapes with a desperate hyperspace jump. Grievous reluctantly informs Count Dooku that the survivors have escaped, meaning the Republic will learn of the Separatists' secret weapon. Dooku, vexed, says he will have to contact his master.

Once the Twilight reaches Anakin's fleet, Commander Wolffe thanks Anakin for assisting them. Anakin and Plo then contact the Jedi Council, informing them of the secret weapon and its capabilities. Anakin asks Ahsoka to come with him, claiming that they should both share the responsibility for their actions.

And then my review.
The episode immediately starts off with the background of what the episode will be about, which I apreciate as it saves time needed for the rest. It begins with a battle scene, if you can call it that. The episode is short and moves quickly, so within the first few minutes, Master Plo's ship is already destroyed and the scene is set for the entrance of Ahsoka and Anakins rescue mission.

One part I like is how they made the small mistake of keeping the medical droid on. Its a small and simple mistake, but that makes it feel more relatable. Despite being in such a fantastical world where so many things are possible, making small mistakes like that make it seem to much more similar to our real world, even in just a small way.

The action scenes were okay. There weren't any or the cool Jedi acrobatic like usual, it was mostly blasters and even then it wasn't much of that. Compared to most episodes it's one big downside. Most Star Wars films and shows are full of acrobatics and action packed scenes, but this one had only the fight scene with the pod destroyer and the race away from the cannon. Action wouldn't fit very well in this episode. However it still is just a bit lacking in that regard.

One part that bothered me a lot was the fact that there was no explanation given for why they couldn't just move out of the way of the cannons path. Was the cannon a homing type that follows the ship it targets? I have no idea, it was never explained. the size also looked deceiving. It looked big enough to span the size of 3 large republic ships, yet it also didn't look much bigger than the tiny ship Anakin and Ahsoka had taken. These two flaws were quite annoying and a bit frustrating for the comprehension of the true capabilities of the weapon.

The episode is short and moves quickly. However, within the short time, it effectively delivers an interesting story while showing some important character traits, though as may be expected the short time length puts that as a second priority, which is understandable. Overall, my expectation is that as a show with such short episodes, I expect that it will almost always be plot and little character development.

The episode also highlighted what we all know about Anakin and Ahsoka: they're noble, but also not ones to listen. Given how this affects their futures it is a nice touch to see how it's been a common problem since the beginning. On one hand this is something that I have mixed opinions about, as it reflects my own philosophy but it also is so overdone sometimes in books and movies. However, I can forgive it due to the situations with Anakin, Ahsoka, and the Jedi Order. It doesn't highlight these moments at all, however. To pick up on the meaning of all these you need to really understand and think about what went on and how that reflects the past and future of the show.

I quite like the animating, particularly the characters. Plo Koon stuck out to me because I had seen him before in the original series but did not know him well, yet I could tell so easily tell who he was, which I find difficult to do with most movie or shows turned animated. I don't have too much to say about this, as I am less familiar with animated movies. However, for someone who doesn't necessarily know much about it, I found it enjoyable and visually sound.

This is perfect for a shorter, quicker watch and I think that's it's strength. I would give it a 4/5.

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi-king
Ship
Yas I really liked this episode, it has a much more interesting vibe than the first one and yet it's not too over the top. The Malevolence is also the strongest ship they'll face in like... the next 2 seasons which is interesting since they put it in so early on as an obstacle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread