Talking with casual kpop fans is a big ego trip (1 Viewer)

marublade

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
Have you ever experienced this?

I feel like I know more about kpop in general, about the past generations and just trivia about current groups than most kpop fans do.
Most know things about their favorite group(s) and even with them don't know the most trivial details.

So when I at times end up talking with one of those casual fans... it's weird how amazed they are at my level of knowledge, while I am just thinking that there are people who know far more and like far more groups than I do. It's weird.

It's interesting that a lot of kpop fans don't know what trainee debt is.
Don't know much if anything about 1st kpop groups.
Barely know anything about 2nd gen groups
Can name 3 or 4 companies and maybe 1 or 2 groups to go with those companies. If even that.

It's weird because I have gotten used to associating groups with companies to the point that when I see a new group my first thought is what company are they under. I am used to keeping an eye on all of the comings and goings in the world of kpop to the point that I can quite convincingly pretend to be a fan of quite a few groups, who I am in fact not a fan of.

It makes me think that maybe I am a bit too deep in this kpop shiz.
But then again I like it!

Mew

~Angel of Death~
Reactions Received
Fandom
Shawol
No I don't think your into deep. It's just seems normal I suppose. I got into kpop back 2008 when I did I researched in and outs of the systems, old discography and such.. But I suppose it was more for me than something to converse about (I tend to do this with everything though) but I think because I did I wasn't surprised when all the bad things about the industry came popping up. I'm not as upto to date with second half of 3rd generation and 4th generation though as my interest became primarily about music rather than finer details as it heald no importance whether I like the music or not.

marublade

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
No I don't think your into deep. It's just seems normal I suppose. I got into kpop back 2008 when I did I researched in and outs of the systems, old discography and such.. But I suppose it was more for me than something to converse about (I tend to do this with everything though) but I think because I did I wasn't surprised when all the bad things about the industry came popping up. I'm not as upto to date with second half of 3rd generation and 4th generation though as my interest became primarily about music rather than finer details as it heald no importance whether I like the music or not.
That's exactly why it feels so weird for me, bcs for me it is normal and the people I mainly talk with about kpop are just like me... in too deep!

So talking with smbdy who likes BTS and is kinda interested in ATEEZ and Stray Kids is very different.

marublade

I offer free hugs
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
Have you tried the kpop quizzes on sporcle.com?

When you get over 90% of the answers, and the average for the test is 50 -- 60% correct, you know you're in deep.
Nope, but now I feel like doing that!

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
Reactions Received
Ship
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I assume that everyone knows a certain amount of knowledge but it surprises me when they only know a few groups and nothing about companies at all. Tbh, that was me when I first got into kpop. I didn't really know much at all but my knowledge kept building up until I know quite a bit now.

I still remember my friends introducing the concept of companies to me. It felt so weird and foreign at the time but I'm so used to it now.

Reactions Received
Ship
I believe in giving a diversity of opinion; thus, I will divert from what everyone is saying here. To answer your question: Yes and No... Given your criteria for knowledge its not "in too deep" in the sense of knowledge acquisition. But lets be honest here, most fans of music from their home country (i.e. United States, Canada, etc.) are unlikely to keep up with what label the artist is signed to or additional factors. There is also the problem that in the West [or at least the US and Canada] television appearances aren't usually attached to 60-90 minute programs; thus, it is easier to get to know details about a group/idol.. Also, K-Pop fans come in a range of ages and as people get older they probably don't care about such details. I, myself, can name beyond 4 agencies, but for fans who don't listen to groups outside of the big three, there isn't much incentive.

In summation, I wouldn't say you're in too deep, but I also would say that a lot of people don't care about such details. I would say you're in too deep if you don't listen to any music but K-Pop and know the names of your groups' brothers and sisters...

"Mansplaining" lmaoo
When I read this I kept thinking of Gretchen from Mean Girls, but Mansplaining instead of Fetch... lmao

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
Reactions Received
Website
www.last.fm
Ship
Wreck
Heize is basically my litmus test for Kpop fans irl. If they actually know a soloist (even a relatively popular one like Heize), I consider that quite remarkable because most people I have talked to hardly know that there are Korean soloists.
:wimwim:

dokyeomon

Nugu
Reactions Received
Ship
Have you tried the kpop quizzes on sporcle.com?

When you get over 90% of the answers, and the average for the test is 50 -- 60% correct, you know you're in deep.
Nope, but now I feel like doing that!
x

I got 297/300 aka 99%

sporcle said get a hobby :susPepe: where is this brain power when I got an exam

karina

🌈 ❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Fandom
arianator
Ship
Wreck