COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

The Future of Dreamcatcher (1 Viewer)

is lee siyeon the hottest women on the planet?

• yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • YES

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • YES!!!

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
So I've been an insomnia for a little over a week now. I've listened to their music from debut (someone on a forum like this one recommend them) but I was never a fan until I watched the Scream MV. I saw Siyeon with arm braces....and I realized that I really was bisexual. But I digress.

the thing that angered me the most was noticing how underrated they are, especially for the quality of music they output. I kept thinking to myself, "why are they so nugu?"
Usually when groups don't hit it big (or become mid-tier) in Korea it's because either the market for the type of music they make is oversaturated, the music is honestly poor quality, they lack visuals, or the company itself doesn't have enough money to promote them, or they promote them very poorly. Sometimes the last two are tied together. I've seen this with a lot of groups that have good music, cute visuals, but never go on variety or competition or anything or even they can't promote as long as they would need to to be noticed. It's painful to watch this happen to groups, but it's even more frustrating with Dreamcatcher because the company is doing quite a lot of things right. They have visuals the gp would like, are promoted through various shows, no controversies, the mvs are good quality, and they clearly have enough money to let them promote and go on variety shows, etc. That pretty much leaves us only with their music, which appeals more to Japanese and international fans overall more. But with that they still shouldn't be this underrated, you know?

But things are constantly getting better, obviously. They're increasing album sales each time they comeback, and since they're a girl group (thank god!) JiU won't have to leave next year. One thing that has stood out to me, since I mostly reside in the NCT fandom, is how open they are about their experiences AND their desires as idols. (This isn't a bash on NCT, I'm pretty sure it's not in their control. ) Like they do fanservice, and aegyo, but I perceive less specific assigned roles for the members-like the happy virus, mom, evil maknae type thing that I see in most groups.

Honestly I like it a lot. I like that Siyeon, SuA and Yoohyeon just had their moms on the phone and forced them to talk to each other on speakerphone. It's really nice to see idols acting like normal people in their 20s. I like the fact that I constantly see them eating. Even though they are all skinny queens, it's nice to visibly see that they are actually eating a lot and probably exercise most of it off. But I do worry about what Happyface will do when they get more popular.

I was a BTS fan from 2015 to early 2018. I saw how the fandom changed, how the music and bighit's strategy changed. Whether it got better, worse, or neither is obviously subjective, but BTS has talked about the stress the fame has put on them. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this.

I think right now Dreamcatcher is given a lot of freedom. They're popular enough that they have money to go on variety and talent shows and tours, but not so popular that they have saesangs and weird behavioral expectations. This is cynical of me, but I am scared of Dreamcatcher losing their "freedoms", if you will, when they become bigger. Happyface seems like a lovely, nice company, but Dreamcatcher has never been big before. What will they do after their first win? It'll probably be the next comeback at this point. How will the company respond to the demands of knetz and inetz?

And the tension here is obvious. I want them to be successful. I get annoyed when the girls are happy about being nominated, because I'm like, "you deserve way more than that!"
I want them to get their first win now, and I want Siyeon and Yoohyeon to go on King of the Masked Singer and them to become super famous and loved in Korea. But I don't want them to feel pressured by their own mounting fame. I don't know.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
Well for Dreamcatcher the problem is that the genre they are in being rock/metal is a dead genre in Korea which has very few notable songs in history. I wouldn't worry about Dreamcatcher though because being mid tier nowadays is not as bad as it was 5 years ago since Oh My Girl, Cosmic Girls, Loona and Lovelyz for example all make up that area and they're doing well enough to at least see out their contract.

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Well for Dreamcatcher the problem is that the genre they are in being rock/metal is a dead genre in Korea which has very few notable songs in history. I wouldn't worry about Dreamcatcher though because being mid tier nowadays is not as bad as it was 5 years ago since Oh My Girl, Cosmic Girls, Loona and Lovelyz for example all make up that area and they're doing well enough to at least see out their contract.
this is true. i think being at the top for some groups is worse than being mid-tier. because then the public criticizes you on top of kpop fans

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
this is true. i think being at the top for some groups is worse than being mid-tier. because then the public criticizes you on top of kpop fans
The top groups are those who are in crazy territory when it comes to eyes on them but there are just so many fans in kpop now that a hit just isn't really necessary anymore and only thing that Dreamcatcher could do with is really a music show win to help them get more CFs.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
I really enjoyed reading that!
Tbh I think that knetz are starting to notice them right now.
You are certainly right about the freedoms they currently have and I am also afraid that the company might change things once they get much more popular.
However, the 1st win is a must for them and will really shoot up their popularity once they eventually get it.
I have been with Dreamcatcher since before You and I was released and I have already seen some changes, like how they have changed their music path, though staying on the rock side of things.
It's also things like Yoohyeon coming out, Gahyeon with her body-type, JiU with her eating habits etc which you would never see in most other companies and if they do manage to get huge, this could all change, which will be a deep shame.

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
The top groups are those who are in crazy territory when it comes to eyes on them but there are just so many fans in kpop now that a hit just isn't really necessary anymore and only thing that Dreamcatcher could do with is really a music show win to help them get more CFs.
which is what i want so badly! i just don't want happyface to change what the girls are allowed to do.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
which is what i want so badly! i just don't want happyface to change what the girls are allowed to do.
If HFE can still let them be themselves while Dreamcatcher becoming big, then I think they could really set an example to the rest of the kpop world.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
They really don't have any reason to change as Dreamcatchers album sales grow with every comeback and as well this success is the result of a change in the first place and not winning is really just bad timing more than anything.

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
I really enjoyed reading that!
Tbh I think that knetz are starting to notice them right now.
You are certainly right about the freedoms they currently have and I am also afraid that the company might change things once they get much more popular.
However, the 1st win is a must for them and will really shoot up their popularity once they eventually get it.
I have been with Dreamcatcher since before You and I was released and I have already seen some changes, like how they have changed their music path, though staying on the rock side of things.
It's also things like Yoohyeon coming out, Gahyeon with her body-type, JiU with her eating habits etc which you would never see in most other companies and if they do manage to get huge, this could all change, which will be a deep shame.
I think right now this is the most motivated i've ever been to get my bias group a win. although I've noticed they have really bad timing with their comebacks :(
what do you mean about jiu's eating habits?

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
They really don't have any reason to change as Dreamcatchers album sales grow with every comeback and as well this success is the result of a change in the first place and not winning is really just bad timing more than anything.
i hope so :sanapray:

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
If HFE can still let them be themselves while Dreamcatcher becoming big, then I think they could really set an example to the rest of the kpop world.
it would honestly be utopia if all idols had the same level of personal freedom as dc does. i think a lot of them would be happier to perform, and would stay in their groups longer

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
I think right now this is the most motivated i've ever been to get my bias group a win. although I've noticed they have really bad timing with their comebacks :(
what do you mean about jiu's eating habits?
Yeah, their timing is atrocious lol
I mean like JiU eats a lot and other companies don't really let their idols eat whatever they want, so if they did get really popular and took her food away, it would probably destroy her, especially since she has never had the problem of not eating in the company, so it would be like her having to train herself to change her eating habits and eat way less.
She would never enjoy that and might become depressed because of it as she wouldn't be used to it.

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Yeah, their timing is atrocious lol
I mean like JiU eats a lot and other companies don't really let their idols eat whatever they want, so if they did get really popular and took her food away, it would probably destroy her, especially since she has never had the problem of not eating in the company, so it would be like her having to train herself to change her eating habits and eat way less.
She would never enjoy that and might become depressed because of it as she wouldn't be used to it.
that's true :(. ugh i'm getting nervous just thinking about it.
I'm also scared that they would lose their motivation. I remember siyeon talking about how she almost cried after monitoring for scream. I didn't understand at first, but then i learned about all the symbolism in the mv and the song's message, and I really get it. they work hard and they love what they're doing. they love the messages that they're able to perform too. i don't want that to ever change.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
MY
that's true :(. ugh i'm getting nervous just thinking about it.
I'm also scared that they would lose their motivation. I remember siyeon talking about how she almost cried after monitoring for scream. I didn't understand at first, but then i learned about all the symbolism in the mv and the song's message, and I really get it. they work hard and they love what they're doing. they love the messages that they're able to perform too. i don't want that to ever change.
It would be the worst thing for them if they changed anything about them now because they have an established fanbase and the fans know what they are getting.
If they suddenly changed their music and concept, the group would ultimately fall to it's death because they wouldn't be Dreamcatcher.
If they were still MINX, I think they wouldn't exist anymore as they were doing similar to other GGs at that time.
Also, HFE are not perfect by any means as they have already had another GG which they kinda abandoned for Dreamcatcher and I'm thinking that if it didn't happen for Dreamcatcher the way it has, then I think it is in no doubt HFE would have given up on them by now.

Reactions Received
Website
wholefull.tumblr.com
KS Coins
It would be the worst thing for them if they changed anything about them now because they have an established fanbase and the fans know what they are getting.
If they suddenly changed their music and concept, the group would ultimately fall to it's death because they wouldn't be Dreamcatcher.
If they were still MINX, I think they wouldn't exist anymore as they were doing similar to other GGs at that time.
Also, HFE are not perfect by any means as they have already had another GG which they kinda abandoned for Dreamcatcher and I'm thinking that if it didn't happen for Dreamcatcher the way it has, then I think it is in no doubt HFE would have given up on them by now.
yep! i've always had this saying to myself: "you can tell that this picture of the idol is more recent because they look skinnier and unhappier"
i shudder even imagining dreamcatcher switching to a concept like itzy or cherry bullet
i hope hf continues to focus on dreamcatcher and doesn't pull a baby monsters/blackpink

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread