COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

There is a stigma against foreign members in kpop groups (1 Viewer)

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multifan
I just saw a thread about WayV being included in NCT and it made me realize that there is a definite stigma against foreign members in kpop groups. Like WayV being included in NCT. Due to them being based in China, A lot of Koreans don't like WayV for that specific reason. May I remind you that Koreans have a lot of hatred towards Chinese people. It doesn't help that the group is majority Chinese except Ten. I feel that Koreans tend to dislike some groups that have members that aren't Korean. ( depending on the group of course). In other words, it's like if you aren't Korean they don't like you. It's like they think kpop groups should only have Koreans

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
I have always thought that WayV despite being made up of Chinese members were based in Korea though? Also Ten might be born in Thailand, but he is of Chinese descendants. His parents speak Chinese and I think his grandparents were Chinese immigrants. I believe he had mentioned learning Mandarin from his parents.

Well, to I can see the point, isn´t kpop an abbreviation of "Korean pop"? there is a term "cpop" for "Chinese pop" that does not allow them to dislike soemone because of their nationality, but I can understand why someone would be opposed to calling WayV a "kpop" group since they are not. They are Chinese and they are singing in Chinese, fair enough, they are not a kpop group. But once their members are a part of NCT, they are all a part of a Korean pop group.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multifan
I have always thought that WayV despite being made up of Chinese members were based in Korea though? Also Ten might be born in Thailand, but he is of Chinese descendants. His parents speak Chinese and I think his grandparents were Chinese immigrants. I believe he had mentioned learning Mandarin from his parents.

Well, to I can see the point, isn´t kpop an abbreviation of "Korean pop"? there is a term "cpop" for "Chinese pop" that does not allow them to dislike soemone because of their nationality, but I can understand why someone would be opposed to calling WayV a "kpop" group since they are not. They are Chinese and they are singing in Chinese, fair enough, they are not a kpop group. But once their members are a part of NCT, they are all a part of a Korean pop group.
I definitely agree but Koreans however....... WayV is primarily a Chinese group originated in Korea but made specifically to promote in china

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
I definitely agree but Koreans however....... WayV is primarily a Chinese group originated in Korea but made specifically to promote in china
yeah well that could be based on history and people not wanting to forgive others. we cannot change their nature, but we can hope not everyone is like that. I believe they are still well-loved and appreciated in Korea just as well as in China and perhaps they will help people to see that China is not some evil enemy that politicians are trying to turn it into.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multifan
yeah well that could be based on history and people not wanting to forgive others. we cannot change their nature, but we can hope not everyone is like that. I believe they are still well-loved and appreciated in Korea just as well as in China and perhaps they will help people to see that China is not some evil enemy that politicians are trying to turn it into.
You are right but we can only hope, as some people are unfortunately close minded

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
You are right but we can only hope, as some people are unfortunately close minded
that´s not the case just for Korea, but it´s very similar to where I live :(.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I just saw a thread about WayV being included in NCT and it made me realize that there is a definite stigma against foreign members in kpop groups. Like WayV being included in NCT. Due to them being based in China, A lot of Koreans don't like WayV for that specific reason. May I remind you that Koreans have a lot of hatred towards Chinese people. It doesn't help that the group is majority Chinese except Ten. I feel that Koreans tend to dislike some groups that have members that aren't Korean. ( depending on the group of course). In other words, it's like if you aren't Korean they don't like you. It's like they think kpop groups should only have Koreans
It is a 2 edged sword for fans. Kpop is something very 'Korean ' to some and sharing is hard.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Multifan
It is a 2 edged sword for fans. Kpop is something very 'Korean ' to some and sharing is hard.
I agree and completely understand but the hate that Chinese idols get in general is absurd. These idols are people too, I don't understand why them being Chinese gets them so much, flack. You would think they would be this way with idols from japan and other places too but no.........

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
I agree and completely understand but the hate that Chinese idols get in general is absurd. These idols are people too, I don't understand why them being Chinese gets them so much, flack. You would think they would be this way with idols from japan and other places too but no.........
China is even more complex than Japan.. the Japan stuff is in the past .. China is a Threat now. Everyone knows the government is BS crazy and that the artist are tools very often.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
In some regards yeah but Tzuyu was considered an IT girl at one point so at times it doesn't affect anything however not much we can do about it as it's down to the countries involved themselves

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
In some regards yeah but Tzuyu was considered an IT girl at one point so at times it doesn't affect anything however not much we can do about it as it's down to the countries involved themselves
She is Taiwan which is different to people and should be actually.
there is one reason North Korea Exists and that is the CCP .

The un forces were not driven off of the chosin res by NK.

This is because of The CCP
1612803586119.png

10 of millions have lived and died in virtual slavery in NK because of this.

south korea exist because of The ROC.

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
She is Taiwan which is different to people and should be actually.
there is one reason North Korea Exists and that is the CCP .

The un forces were not driven off of the chosin res by NK.

This is because of The CCP
1612803586119.png

10 of millions have lived and died in virtual slavery in NK because of this.

south korea exist because of The ROC.
Different but I think it can show that it doesn't get in the way although with WayV that is a whole different issue from just having a Chinese idol in a Kpop group which would be the first step at going anywhere

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread