COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

Thoughts on Mulan? (1 Viewer)

kinnie

eep.
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I don't know how many of you own Disney + but you should if you don't. Anyways, Mulan. dfjissifjsejfeoifrflrgb.
I honestly felt like I was watching an English dubbed version of a Chinese drama
and I think I would've liked it even more if it was subbed. Was the movie worth $36.00 (including the premium subscription fee)?
Hmm..yes. I think so. It didn't really give me any of the original Mulan vibes at all though. Some parts are missing that I would've liked to see
while others were randomly added or manipulated throughout the film. It kind of doesn't make sense to me why Disney decided to take a different route
with Mulan just because of their other live-action films sort of following into place with their cartoon representations while Mulan was like the guinea pig.
I mean people commonly mistake Mulan to be a princess when she's actually a warrior. I think the film does a great job of showing that.
Overall I give it an 8/10 just because of how badass Mulan was.

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Website
aespas.carrd.com
KS Coins
Fandom
MeU & MY
Pronouns
she ♡ her
Ship
first point, qi is literally your life energy so they’re saying Mulan is special,, for having that :lazypotato: most of the time, overpowered characters actually have to work their golden core to improve and strengthen their qi gong, it’s not a you’re born with it or you’re not type of thing. And qi gong isn’t even gender specific: there’s nearly always a woman w overpowered qi (that she worked for) in your typical wuxia story

it’s the equivalent of giving a hp world wizard teleportation and x ray vision for being born magical lmao

anyways, wuxia butchering aside, the whole chosen one trope is just used awfully: Mulan is such a heroine precisely since she had to work her butt off to achieve so much, not because she was born special (again, butchering basic wuxia concepts)

and like really? they’re kinda painting the idea that an asian woman cannot be powerful on her own without being some superhuman being

the sets are nice, just the costuming was excuted in the ugliest manner possible,, the longest day in changan has much better historically accurate and aesthetically pleasing set and costume design

they basically turned Mulan into a wuxia without even reading the Wikipedia page about the genre ;-;

also, witches aren’t a thing in Chinese mythology, and phoenixes don’t do the ashes thing sooo,,, kinda understand why it’s getting flamed on douban

edit: this was a long rant ;-;

Last edited:

Yili

Stay • Czennie • Teume • Moodz • One-It • Villain
Reactions Received
Website
flyhighyili.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
Multi <3
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
first point, qi is literally your life energy so they’re saying Mulan is special,, for having that :lazypotato: most of the time, overpowered characters actually have to work their golden core to improve and strengthen their qi gong, it’s not a you’re born with it or you’re not type of thing. And qi gong isn’t even gender specific: there’s nearly always a woman w overpowered qi (that she worked for) in your typical wuxia story

it’s the equivalent of giving a hp world wizard teleportation and x ray vision for being born magical lmao

anyways, wuxia butchering aside, the whole chosen one trope is just used awfully: Mulan is such a heroine precisely since she had to work her butt off to achieve so much, not because she was born special (again, butchering basic wuxia concepts)

and like really? they’re kinda painting the idea that an asian woman cannot be powerful on her own without being some superhuman being

the sets are nice, just the costuming was excuted in the ugliest manner possible,, the longest day in changan has much better historically accurate and aesthetically pleasing set and costume design

they basically turned Mulan into a wuxia without even reading the Wikipedia page about the genre ;-;

also, witches aren’t a thing in Chinese mythology, and phoenixes don’t do the ashes thing sooo,,, kinda understand why it’s getting flamed on douban

edit: this was a long rant ;-;
The part about making Mulan magical and it being kind of like "chosen one" storyline is what puts me off from watching the movie. As a young girl I saw that the reason why most guys and girls loved Mulan is because of how much she overcame through her own hard work and perseverance. It's an admirable and inspiring journey that is kind of deflated in what people are saying the new movie has done with her.

I'll still watch it when it comes out on regular Disney + but I don't know if I'm going to like it based on that part that they changed.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
It wasn't bad and I liked it but I do think there is a lot to criticize about the movie.

Like the whole reason they changed from the original plot was not to botch Chinese history, lore, and culture.....just for them to botch Chinese history, lore, and culture. I was excited to see in the trailers the Wuxia themes. But even with my minimal experience with watching Chinese dramas I knew they were getting things wrong from the beginning lol.

The whole thing with only men have qi made absolutely no sense! AND they could still have the whole movie without that plot point. Like if the Emperor's orders is for every family to send a man Mulan is still going to take her father's place. Mulan is still going to have to develop her qi and strength (aka not a chosen one with special powers). And finally she's also still going to have to lie about her gender and betray the army because of dishonesty. So literally all the major plot points of the movie could have stayed in tact lol.

But that being said I actually liked the movie and the styling was cool and some of the settings pretty great. Also, GONG LI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions Received
KS Coins
I'm just gonna wait until December when it becomes available as part of the regular subscription....
Do you actually want to wait cause I have a link I could send you.......

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
luoshifemy
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
So everyone just forgot about boycotting Mulan right

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
I'm boycotting the film (personally) for a number of reasons...
Ranging from the lead actress supporting police brutality in Hong Kong. Even though she's an American citizen that's comfortably living in the US.
To the film being filmed in Xinjiang, and film makers thanking the authorities there... If you aren't too familiar with that area. That's where you can find the internment camps that are committing human atrocities against minority groups such as the Uyghur muslims.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv
policy aside, Turning Mulan into chun li seems an odd choice .

Abeamus

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wreck
I haven't seen any other Mulan movie and my only experience with the story is from Kingdom Hearts so I knew the basics of what to expect.

I still found it pretty all over the place though and it went from a woman in a mans world plot to a weird fantasy action movie.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I've been disappointed with all live action adaptations so far of Disney animated classics. Haven't seen Mulan yet, but I might give it a pass due to the lead actress' support for Chinese police brutality clashing with my personal beliefs. Even though it has Donnie Yen, one of my all time favs lol.

BUT there's always the OG animated version which is great :pepeheart:

Wicked

Loaded Granny Cane Incoming!
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
ARMY/Multi
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I've heard they've butchered it and removed whatever soul Mulan originally had. I might watch it still, but I won't be paying for it lmfao. I'll pirate the damn thing.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
The end fucking suck like i wanted to see her get with the boy like wae

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Choice
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
I've been disappointed with all live action adaptations so far of Disney animated classics. Haven't seen Mulan yet, but I might give it a pass due to the lead actress' support for Chinese police brutality clashing with my personal beliefs. Even though it has Donnie Yen, one of my all time favs lol.

BUT there's always the OG animated version which is great :pepeheart:
You can be happy cuz iirc they said they dont have any plans for more live action besides the ones they are still filming (like Ariel)

jasque

Antifragile
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
We were both like is that ip man :wimwim:
We need to do an ip man streaming to forget Mulan live action loll

I had fun watching though, it was like watching Fast and Furious in ancient times

kinnie

eep.
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I'm boycotting the film (personally) for a number of reasons...
Ranging from the lead actress supporting police brutality in Hong Kong. Even though she's an American citizen that's comfortably living in the US.
To the film being filmed in Xinjiang, and film makers thanking the authorities there... If you aren't too familiar with that area. That's where you can find the internment camps that are committing human atrocities against minority groups such as the Uyghur muslims.
Damn, that's awful. : (
Disney in itself is a shitty company so I'm not surprised.
I just hate that I have to continue giving them money because they produce some quality content (for the most part).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread