Fanfiction Untitled 5SOS Ashton fanfic *Ch. 1 posted 1/10/22* (1 Viewer)

danielchoibae

Celebrity
Reactions Received
Website
peachyfangirl86.tumblr.com
Fandom
Multi
Pronouns
she/her
Chapter 1
Synopsis: Katelyn delivers her daughter Rowan and puts her in foster care, as per her decision.
Word count: 1030
Characters in this chapter:
-Katelyn Richards - main character and Rowan's birth mother
-Rowan Crawford - Katelyn's daughter with her ex-boyfriend Sam Crawford
-Derrick and Andrea Lamb - Rowan's first foster parents (this changes in the next chapter)

Katelyn Richards took in a long, deep breath and slowly pushed it out as she delivered her baby girl. This was an unmedicated birth, as Katelyn had been too far dilated for an epidural by the time she’d arrived at the hospital. Thus, Katelyn felt like her body was ripping in half with each big push.

Rowan, who was so named to honor both parents’ middle names, had been the result of Katelyn having sex with her now ex-boyfriend, Sam, on the night of their third dating anniversary. Both Katelyn’s and Sam’s parents had been furious to hear of Katelyn’s eventual pregnancy, to the point of forcing the two of them to split. Furthermore, Katelyn had decided she was going to put the baby in the foster care system until she was ready to raise her.

“Almost there, sweetheart!” her OB, Dr. Vinton, coached. “I can see a head of blonde ringlets from here. Keep going!”

On her cue to push, Katelyn let out a pained scream as she gave the baby one last heave-ho. It was a good thing it was midafternoon, or else Katelyn would’ve been afraid of waking the other patients with her hyena-like howls.

“There we go!” the attending delivery nurse said as she pulled the baby the rest of the way out. The tiny infant used all her lung power to cry as she announced her entry into the world. “Welcome, sweet girl!”

“I think she’s got your face shape, Katelyn,” Dr. Vinton remarked as he placed Rowan on her chest.

Katelyn smiled when she saw her adorable newborn daughter. The doctor had been right in saying she had her mother’s face; in fact, it seemed to Katelyn like she was looking at a baby picture of herself.

“Hi, Rowan!” Katelyn said through happy tears as she stroked the few blonde curls on the baby’s head. “I’m so happy to finally meet you! We may not get to be together just yet, but you will always be Mama’s little girl – I promise.”

Katelyn touched one of Rowan’s tiny hands, to which she reacted by wrapping around her mom’s finger. Katelyn smiled, and with her permission, the nurse took a picture of this adorable moment on Katelyn’s phone.

“How’s this?” the nurse asked, exchanging Katelyn’s phone for Rowan so she could take measurements. “And Rowan is a sweet name for a little girl; how did you come up with it?”

“Aw, that’s cute!” Katelyn cooed. “I think I’ll set it as my wallpaper. I picked Rowan because it’s a combination of Rose and Jordan, mine and her daddy’s middle names.”

“Nice!”

After Rowan’s postnatal tests were done and over with, and she passed them all with flying colors, Katelyn was doing some skin-to-skin bonding with her when there was a knock at the door.

“Can I come in?” the female voice called from the other side of the door. “It’s Connie!”

“Yeah, come in,” Katelyn said.

When the door opened, Katelyn’s caseworker had a young couple in tow, presumably Rowan’s foster parents. The woman was about 5’5 with chest-length, chestnut brown hair, and the man was a couple inches taller with short, dark blond waves and a goatee.

“Good afternoon, Katelyn,” Connie greeted. “How was the delivery?”

“It was painful,” Katelyn admitted. “I was too far along for an epidural, so I had to do it without medication.”

“Goodness gracious!” the woman commented. “How is it down there after all of that?”

“I’m okay, just a little sore. Are you Rowan’s foster parents?”

“They sure are,” Connie said with a smile. “These are Derrick Lamb and his wife Andrea. Guys, this is Katelyn Hicks, Rowan’s birth mother.”

Andrea gasped with awe when she saw her new ward’s little head poking out from the floral blanket wrapped around her body. “Oh, how adorable; I love her little blonde curls! Can I hold her?”

“I suppose,” Katelyn said, handing Rowan over. “I’m still not ready to let her go, though… even though I know it’s the right thing to do.”

“It is the right thing,” Derrick reassured her as Andrea began to fuss over Rowan. “I think education and enjoying the last couple years of your adolescence should definitely come first.”

“He’s right,” Connie added. “And besides, you can always make visits from time to time.”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Katelyn agreed, blinking away some incoming tears. “Can I just hold her one last time before you take her… please?”

“Sure thing!” Andrea agreed, handing Rowan to her biological mother for the last time.

“Rowan, I just want you to know that just because we’ll be apart… doesn’t mean I don’t love you.” Katelyn felt a lump forming in her throat, and she swallowed hard to get rid of it. “I do love you, and I just want what’s best for you. I’m going to miss you so, so much!”

Rowan let out a small whimper, and Katelyn ran her fingers through her hair and kissed her forehead. Meanwhile, Connie took a picture with her phone and immediately sent it to Katelyn’s via text.

“Is there anything you’d like to send with her?” Connie asked Katelyn.

“Yeah… I made a blanket for her after I found out she was a girl, so I can give her that. It’s in my hospital bag.”

Katelyn granted Connie permission to look through the duffel bag she’d brought to the hospital, and Connie didn’t have to look long to find a beautiful, hand-knit lavender blanket with Rowan’s name embroidered in the middle of it. The lettering was about the same shade of green as the gemstone, and it was surrounded by pink flowers.

“This one?” Connie asked, holding the blanket up.

“Yeah, that’s the one,” Katelyn confirmed. “There’s also something from her daddy in there – a pink onesie with red polka dots on it.”

Connie found this item as well and handed both things to Derrick and Andrea.

“Thank you, sweetheart,” Derrick said to Katelyn. “We’ll be sure and update you on Rowan’s first night with us.”

“And what’s your email address?” Andrea chimed in.

Katelyn provided her email address, as well as her cellphone number. “I can’t wait to hear from y’all!”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread