COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

News VIXX Ravi runs into controversy with Red Velvet fans, issues apology (1 Viewer)

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
So basically from what I can gather, Ravi released a song called Red Velvet with Jamie, featuring some suggestive lyrics. He claimed it's about the Red Velvet cake, not group but he used some lyrics from RV songs for fun references- like you can find Dumb Dumb, Russian roulette and the words Sooyoung (Joy's name) and Yeri.

Anyway, Reveluvs were pretty pissed at him and the general reception was not kind.

This thread contains the English translation and netizen responses:

Anyway, he's now issued a statement clarifying he talked to Red Velvet personally, he's issued an apology and will be apparently taking down the song from all streaming platforms.

Thoughts?
Did fans blow things out of proportion or is there genuine reason to be upset? I don't think he intentionally meant anything but in making all those references I can see why some fans would be upset.

@Reveluv @Starlight

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
Reactions Received
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Fandom
YOLO
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
i mean i dont see a problem, unless the members themselves did I don't think fans should try to police things for them

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
i mean i dont see a problem, unless the members themselves did I don't think fans should try to police things for them
Fans can be protective so I can see where they're coming from, but I don't think he was looking to cause any trouble lol.

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
Reactions Received
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Fandom
YOLO
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Fans can be protective so I can see where they're coming from, but I don't think he was looking to cause any trouble lol.
lol yeah like if its obviously bad then I can see why but this is like :umwhat: man just thought it'd be cute, and y'all don't know how reve actually feels about it haha

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
lol yeah like if its obviously bad then I can see why but this is like :umwhat: man just thought it'd be cute, and y'all don't know how reve actually feels about it haha
Yep I guess since he used the Sooyoung and Yeri terms and the lyrics are sexual, fans thought he's doing idk what, singing out his fantasies about RV maybe :wimwim:
It's pretty interesting to see lol, meanwhile in the States you have artists straight up dissing others in their songs and it's fine :haylul:

I think he should've been more careful since he's Korean and knows how these things can be perceived, however removing the song from streaming platforms is pretty unnecessary. It's gonna live forever on Youtube I guess :susPepe:

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
Reactions Received
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
KS Coins
Fandom
YOLO
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Yep I guess since he used the Sooyoung and Yeri terms and the lyrics are sexual, fans thought he's doing idk what, singing out his fantasies about RV maybe :wimwim:
It's pretty interesting to see lol, meanwhile in the States you have artists straight up dissing others in their songs and it's fine :haylul:

I think he should've been more careful since he's Korean and knows how these things can be perceived, however removing the song from streaming platforms is pretty unnecessary. It's gonna live forever on Youtube I guess :susPepe:
for sure, like korea is a lot more serious about this stuff. I'm a bit surprised he did this since he's korean so I figured he'd have more cautious mindset understanding this kinda mindset aroud this

youtube is the bane of pls never remember this moment haha

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
for sure, like korea is a lot more serious about this stuff. I'm a bit surprised he did this since he's korean so I figured he'd have more cautious mindset understanding this kinda mindset aroud this

youtube is the bane of pls never remember this moment haha
Yeah honestly there were so many ways this could've been avoided, I can't imagine nobody in the producing/recording room thought wait let's rework the lyrics a bit or something :jisoosmh:
Korean artists have referenced other artists and lyrics in their songs before but just gotta be careful.

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
VIXX members and Red Velvet :wimwim:

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fans should chill. Obviously he used them as reference to play with lyrics. But that's about it. Edit: I think he was bit dumb including references to names. Should have kept it with song lyrics.

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
VIXX members and Red Velvet :wimwim:
Wait, has something else also happened? :jisoosmh:

Fans should chill. Obviously he used them as reference to play with lyrics. But that's about it. Edit: I think he was bit dumb including references to names. Should have kept it with song lyrics.
Yep if you see Ravi's lyrics, you know he can be a bit edgelordy at times and also cringe but still fun lol. I mean this is the guy who included the English line of "I love f*cking myself" in a song :wimwim:
For this song, had he just kept it at lyrics it wouldn't have been an issue I think, using wordplay to include Joy and Yeri's names in addition to lyrics in a sexual song- any fandom would've gotten upset.

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
Wait the song ain't even good wtf is he thinking :umwhat:

There used to be 6 of them.
Oh you meant Hongbin? I thought he was saying something about Shinee or other boygroups? Tbh in his case I truly think Knetz took the comments out of context lol.

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Wait, has something else also happened? :jisoosmh:

Yep if you see Ravi's lyrics, you know he can be a bit edgelordy at times and also cringe but still fun lol. I mean this is the guy who included the English line of "I love f*cking myself" in a song :wimwim:
For this song, had he just kept it at lyrics it wouldn't have been an issue I think, using wordplay to include Joy and Yeri's names in addition to lyrics in a sexual song- any fandom would've gotten upset.
I thjnk he wanted to be clever with the wordplay and include even more references. But I agree that he should been more careful. Stil don't think its fans job to attack him over it :susPepe:

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
I thjnk he wanted to be clever with the wordplay and include even more references. But I agree that he should been more careful. Stil don't think its fans job to attack him over it :susPepe:
Yep off the top of my head GD has made some SNSD references in the past, last year in that VVS song on SMTM they made a Taemin and Move reference but netizens didn't have a problem with those.
He should've been more careful and honestly the fans reaction may not be ideal but it's not unexpected lol, even you or I would know this so people who are working in that industry definitely should.

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Oh you meant Hongbin? I thought he was saying something about Shinee or other boygroups? Tbh in his case I truly think Knetz took the comments out of context lol.
He was talking about a lot of groups but Shawols and Reveluvs got the angriest about it.
I still can't believe he got pushed out the group over something so trivial but drunken streaming is always a no-no

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
Reactions Received
KS Coins
He was talking about a lot of groups but Shawols and Reveluvs got the angriest about it.
I still can't believe he got pushed out the group over something so trivial but drunken streaming is always a no-no
I thought he dissed Exo on how they are popular but don't write their own songs :dubuthink:

VillageIdiot

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Ship
That too
He talked his shit that day
Tbf I think he was just drunken rambling, not dissing- like he was commenting how they don't write their own songs but fans made it out like he was shitting on them for not doing so, it was weird :wimwim:
Idek if anyone was calling for him to leave the group, people just assumed he'd be on hiatus for a while, at worst. Then the announcement gets made that he's leaving :wimwim:

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
WizSoneLuv

its even weirder when ya factor in all the taeyeon ravi dating buzz.

at the end of the day the fans read it as objectifying the members. Not a brite idea for someone who should know better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread