COME JOIN US!
Get your K-pop fix at KPOPSource.com - the ultimate destination for all things K-pop! From new album releases to concert coverage, our site has it all. Don't miss out on the latest news and updates from your favorite artists, and connect with a community of K-pop fans from around the world.
Register Now

We had a M7.3 earthquake last night... (1 Viewer)

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
First and foremost, my family and everyone who I know are fortunately safe from any harm. But this coming days/weeks will be somewhat worrying, as there is a high chance of a further aftershock of M6+ happening within the next couple of weeks.

But this is the warning alert that came through on my phone last night.

The earthquake was felt across the majority of Japan... From the northern island of Hokkaido, all the way as far south/west as Hiroshima! With the hardest hit area being the Tohoku region, that experienced an Upper 6 on the Shindo Scale!
Meanwhile, in Tokyo, we experienced the quake as a 4 on the Shindo Scale. Which is still powerful enough to make your house/apartment shake and frighten young children/those aren't used to major earthquakes.

For those who are unaware of the Shindo Scale. It's a series of measurements that measure the intensity of the shake in different affected areas.

And to give it some perspective... The M9.0 earthquake that devastated Japan in 2011, was a 7 on the Shindo Scale. That should give some perspective to just how powerful this recent earthquake was.

And as the clean up from this latest earthquake continues. Everyone is mindful of the fact that strong aftershocks could most likely occur in the coming weeks. But for now, I think that we're all just thankful that unlike 10 years ago. A tsunami didn't follow this time, and the number of confirmed casualties is low (for now)

And as for more information on the earthquake itself... Experts are saying that last night's M7.3 earthquake that rocked the country, was an aftershock from the 2011 M9.0 quake that devastated the Tohoku region almost 10 years ago.

"Saturday’s magnitude 7.3 quake that struck off the Tohoku coast is believed to be an aftershock of the 2011 killer earthquake that triggered a massive tsunami in the area, a seismologist said.

“Because (the 2011 quake) was an enormous one with a magnitude of 9.0, it’s not surprising to have an aftershock of this scale 10 years later,” said Kenji Satake, a professor at the University of Tokyo’s Earthquake Research Institute.

Despite the relatively large size of the latest quake with the focus off Fukushima Prefecture, it was unlikely to have caused a tsunami because it had a deep epicenter of about 55 kilometers below the sea surface, Satake said.

The Meteorological Agency also said it believed the 11:07 p.m. quake was an aftershock of the megaquake that struck the area nearly 10 years ago to the date.

According to the agency, the quake’s seismic intensity — a strong 6 on the Japanese scale of 7 — was the strongest to occur off the country’s northeastern coast since April 7, 2011.

On March 11 that year, the magnitude 9.0 quake rocked the region, registering a 7 on the Japanese scale and triggering a massive tsunami. The disasters subsequently spurred the triple-meltdown at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

A quake with intensity of an strong 6 and 7 is defined by the agency as making it “impossible (for humans) to remain standing or move without crawling” and people may even be “thrown through the air.”

The difference between upper 6 and 7 is their impact on furniture, walls and windows. In the former, “most unreinforced concrete-block walls collapse,” but even “reinforced concrete-block walls may collapse” in the latter, the agency says."

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
An aftershock a decade later?? That's crazy.

I really hope everyone is okay and that you and your family are doing well.

There was a 6.3 Earthquake in South Asia yesterday and I wonder if they're connected in any way. My condolences to everyone affected.

Tickita

♦️🍰♥️
Reactions Received
Website
tickittaa.carrd.co
KS Coins
Fandom
KingCassie
Pronouns
she, her, mrrp
My God.

I didn't know aftershocks could take that long to come.

I'm glad you and your family are okay, and I hope no further damage occurs if there are more aftershocks.

Wingfrost

Answer for SOTY
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Answer is Queen
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
I can’t imagine how scary that must be to go through, I’m glad you and your family are okay.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv

Summarise:
- Landslide on the Joban Expressway in Fukushima Prefecture.
- The Tohoku Shinkansen line is currently suspended
- Small leakage at Fukushima Daiichi Power plant. But radiation leakage was very low.

An aftershock a decade later?? That's crazy.

I really hope everyone is okay and that you and your family are doing well.

There was a 6.3 Earthquake in South Asia yesterday and I wonder if they're connected in any way. My condolences to everyone affected.
That's what I said as well, when the information was broadcast on the news. It's incredibly eerie as well. Because it's less than a month till the 10th Anniversary of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake & Tsunami.

The two earthquakes wouldn't be connected, as the the fault line in question sits on the subduction zone Pacific & Eurasian plates. But the 'Ring of Fire' does seem to be quite active right now!

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins

Summarise:
- Landslide on the Joban Expressway in Fukushima Prefecture.
- The Tohoku Shinkansen line is currently suspended
- Small leakage at Fukushima Daiichi Power plant. But radiation leakage was very low.

That's what I said as well, when the information was broadcast on the news. It's incredibly eerie as well. Because it's less than a month till the 10th Anniversary of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake & Tsunami.

The two earthquakes wouldn't be connected, as the the fault line in question sits on the subduction zone Pacific & Eurasian plates. But the 'Ring of Fire' does seem to be quite active right now!
It is kinda scary that the anniversary for the Tohoku Earthquake is about a month away, exactly a decade later.

The Ring of Fire needs to calm down. We had a pandemic in 2020, can 2021 please be calm...

Reactions Received
Website
nowherelandwithmemyselfandi.wat
KS Coins
Fandom
GoldenStar
I really hope everyone tat was affected is doing as well as possible after the earthquake hit, n pls let there be no more aftershocks , Amaterasu willing(invoking my only knowledge learned from an old x-men comic).

Glad you n ur loved ones are okay. Stay safe everyone. Musta been scary but hope it wasnt too scary. Starting to blather so ill end it here.

SeulPika

Seulgi's PR Team
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
Reveluv
It is kinda scary that the anniversary for the Tohoku Earthquake is about a month away, exactly a decade later.

The Ring of Fire needs to calm down. We had a pandemic in 2020, can 2021 please be calm...
Last night scared my partner a lot, and she rarely gets scared in an earthquake. But it gave her horrible flashbacks to the events of 10 years ago....

The pandemic is causing additional issues. Because people who've evacuated to the evacuation zones are now at a higher risk of catching the virus :/

Panda

a panda just trying to chill
Reactions Received
Website
www.twitch.tv
KS Coins
Fandom
Starlight
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
Wreck
oof, I'm glad you and your fam are alright! I hope the after shocks won't be so bad...

Mayday

🍓Your 1-Up Girl🍓
Reactions Received
KS Coins
Last night scared my partner a lot, and she rarely gets scared in an earthquake. But it gave her horrible flashbacks to the events of 10 years ago....

The pandemic is causing additional issues. Because people who've evacuated to the evacuation zones are now at a higher risk of catching the virus :/
I didn't even realize how triggering it may have been for people who experienced the Great East Japan earthquake. I genuinely hope she's well in the days to come as well, as you may have more aftershocks.

This is definitely going to spread COVID a little more. I'm not sure how Japan is dealing with it, but here in America, things are bad enough already.

Reactions Received
KS Coins
Fandom
multi BG
I cannot even imagine a situation like this as here we don't get earthquakes at all and if we do, they are on the lowest rates. I hope everyone will be able to overcome them with as little harm as possible. Stay safe please 🙏

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread