When Did Uncle Fan Culture Start? (1 Viewer)

Drew_B

Reactions Received
Fandom
MeU
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is a fairly new phenomenon.

I don't think it actually existed during the first generation of kpop. Back then it was still 90% female fans of both boy and girl groups.

Even during the first half of second gen most of the fan chants are female fans.

For example this is the loudest fanchant of all time and it's all girls. This is from 2010.

Around what year would you say men started to make their presence known at music shows and fan signs for girl groups?

@Girl Group

mysteric

.*゚+ rest in peace our little pear blossom *+.
Reactions Received
Fandom
MeU & MY
Ship
huh kpop borrowed a lot from jpop, and akb48 is infamous for the amount of uncle fans so I'd maybe place it a bit earlier? since the pandering to older male audiences seemed to be happening before 2010 imo
it's weird since different groups have massively different audiences

VillageIdiot

Unruly Moon Child
Reactions Received
Fandom
Toxic
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Early 2nd gen. LSM said this in 08
"People in their 30s and the 40s are emerging as the main cultural consumers, and Girls’ Generation specifically targets the men in that age group,” says Lee Soo-man (53), CEO and producer for SM Entertainment. “Likewise, Shinee targets women in that generation.” Lee debuted as a singer in 1971 and was an acclaimed professional emcee in the 1980s""

QueenB

Celebrity
Reactions Received
I know jpop has had them for a long time so it was only a matter of time until kpop had them too

Reactions: Angel1 and yeji

yeji

🌈 ❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
Reactions Received
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Fandom
arianator
Ship
Wreck
probably with FIN.K.L and SES

Abeamus

KS #1 Visual
Reactions Received
Well it's pretty hard to speak about the 1st generation as there isn't a lot of detailed information because of the state of Kpop during the early 2000s but I could see Girls' Generation getting them with stuff like Kissing You and Baby Baby

Reactions: Angel1

Angel1

Trainee
Reactions Received
Fandom
Multi
I think since like the mid 2000s? like between 2005-2007.
Anyways, im pretty sure it depends on the group themselves and their concept/target audience
For example, Blackpink have mainly female fans(but now its like half-and-half) because their concept isnt rlly seen as "attractive"(?) to males or smthing
Twice are like the ideal women for Korean men hence why their fanbase is mainly dominated by men. Their image is cute and pretty while blackpink are more badass and independent

Users who are viewing this thread