Closed Why is a Conversation Spam? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
Genuinely curious.
Had a whole conversation between me and another user.
That was in THEIR thread and all the posts were deleted and labeled spam
I think their's was too??

Unsure of if a conversation is now not allowed on here or if I did something to make them spammy?
If the creator of the thread reported it I guess it makes sense but the conversation was with the creator of the thread???​

Reactions: Yukibana

notthatmarbleboy

That One
Reactions Received
Almost all threads get derailed though because conversations begin and start. Since when has this rule been enforced??
Since it is written in the Rulebook. Personally, every time I encounter an off topic conversation, it will get deleted. I do visit a small amount of threads, because we have an actual team of moderators, so my supervision is just on the surface. However I opened the thread because I was interested in the topic, only to see the thread derailed with a personal conversation that had nothing to do with the actual OP.

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
Since it is written in the Rulebook. Personally, every time I encounter an off topic conversation, it will get deleted. I do visit a small amount of threads, because we have an actual team of moderators, so my supervision is just on the surface. However I opened the thread because I was interested in the topic, only to see the thread derailed with a personal conversation that had nothing to do with the actual OP.
You can still comment on what the original thread is about though-nothing about our conversation should've deterred you from commenting. The conversation with me and the user switched naturally and in a joking manner. That happens. It's natural. It's not spam.

notthatmarbleboy

That One
Reactions Received
You can still comment on what the original thread is about though-nothing about our conversation should've deterred you from commenting. The conversation with me and the user switched naturally and in a joking manner. That happens. It's natural. It's not spam.
Not if the content of the post is solely an off-topic conversation. Had the content of the original post been discussed alongside, the posts would've been kept.

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
Not if the content of the post is solely an off-topic conversation. Had the content of the original post been discussed alongside, the posts would've been kept.
The conversation happened naturally though-that just discourages conversation from happening on the forum. I'd understand if I posted something COMPLETELY off-topic from the get-go but I didn't. The conversation naturally flowed away from the original topic, the creator of the thread didn't mind, and neither did I. So why should it be deleted?

Whenever that happens in threads I just read the posts on topic and then scroll down and make my own comment. Sometimes I'll even join in on the conversation. Part of the fun of a forum is that conversations naturally happen and sometimes the most fun ones happen in threads like that-those posts and responses were full of little jokes and light-heartedness.

notthatmarbleboy

That One
Reactions Received
The conversation happened naturally though-that just discourages conversation from happening on the forum. I'd understand if I posted something COMPLETELY off-topic from the get-go but I didn't. The conversation naturally flowed away from the original topic, the creator of the thread didn't mind, and neither did I. So why should it be deleted?

Whenever that happens in threads I just read the posts on topic and then scroll down and make my own comment. Sometimes I'll even join in on the conversation. Part of the fun of a forum is that conversations naturally happen and sometimes the most fun ones happen in threads like that-those posts and responses were full of little jokes and light-heartedness.
One thing you are missing though, is that forum is for discussion, not conversation. That is why the users are "posting" and not "chatting". We have DMs or official Discord for conversations. It should be deleted because after the last post that I didn't delete, no other post contributed to the thread, causing thread derailing. I know it definitely was not your intention, but it can be interpreted as bumping the thread to the top without adding any relevant content, in order for users to see the thread first. Again, I have nothing against conversations happening, but it has to come as a side effect of discussing the original topic.

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
One thing you are missing though, is that forum is for discussion, not conversation. That is why the users are "posting" and not "chatting". We have DMs or official Discord for conversations. It should be deleted because after the last post that I didn't delete, no other post contributed to the thread, causing thread derailing. I know it definitely was not your intention, but it can be interpreted as bumping the thread to the top without adding any relevant content, in order for users to see the thread first. Again, I have nothing against conversations happening, but it has to come as a side effect of discussing the original topic.
I still think that greatly discourages conversation though and I don't think that's a good thing for a forum where it's meant to feel somewhat like a community. And to be honest, the conversation did come as a side effect of discussing the topic. So why delete it? And since you know it wasn't my intention to bump the thread why delete it?

Also how else was I supposed to respond to the user? Saying oh Cherry Bullet wow.... and then add my point of conversation??? Then that's just me trying to not get it deleted so I can continue to talk to this person in a joking manner. Then THAT could be considered spam.

Not to mention most threads result in people chatting not posting like you're saying. And yes, a lot of conversations happen in threads not just discussions.

At this point, I feel like we won't agree but I genuinely don't think the posts should've been deleted as they naturally happened as a result of our responses to each other that were originally on topic. But they also did not detract from the thread either. Neither the thread owner nor I were upset by the posts and the conversation so I genuinely don't think they should've been deleted and called spam.

Thank you for your time.

You can close this now. Byeeeeee.

:llama_wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread