Why is Onewe not as popular as Oneus? (1 Viewer)

brekker

Star
Reactions Received
Wreck
I love both groups. They are amazing, but Oneus does seem to stand out a little bit more. But why? Now, don´t take me wrong, I don´t want to downplay one to make another one shine, but Onewe seems to me like a solid band too. Amazing vocals, not bad visuals (they look like your regular guys, but I personally don´t see any breathtakingly gorgeous visuals in Oneus either - again, a bunch of handsome young men, but ... nothing over the top - so what do you think? What decided the success?

Here, a couple of Onewe songs:

Also, I don´t want them to be more famous than Oneus, but I want them to be a little bit more successful because despite enjoying the indie vibe, I always worry bands that don´t reach certain numbers in kpop will disband.

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him
I think it's just most definitely the band aspect, they don't get as flashy and cool dance moves and MV editing as ONEUS does.
Usually all the bands compared to dance groups are not as known, sure FTIsland, CNBLUE, DAY6 are still pretty popular but they dont compare to other groups either.

Lovely_Cornchips

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Ship
Wreck
I think it's just most definitely the band aspect, they don't get as flashy and cool dance moves and MV editing as ONEUS does.
Usually all the bands compared to dance groups are not as known, sure FTIsland, CNBLUE, DAY6 are still pretty popular but they dont compare to other groups either.
Basically this...sadly bands aren't as popular as pretty boys dancing around AND singing AND rapping.

Reactions: Myco

brekker

Star
Reactions Received
Wreck
speaking of Day6, this is exactly what made me fall in love with them. They are just ... different from other kpop groups. they are just different in a good way. and thank you for namedropping. I have never heard of FTIsland and CNBLUE (I think I might have seen the blue one somewhere as the name looks familiar but had never heard), time to educate myself. I don´t know how you do it, but you always pull out an underappreciated band out of your sleeve and it´s high quality.

• Wow

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him
speaking of Day6, this is exactly what made me fall in love with them. They are just ... different from other kpop groups. they are just different in a good way. and thank you for namedropping. I have never heard of FTIsland and CNBLUE (I think I might have seen the blue one somewhere as the name looks familiar but had never heard), time to educate myself. I don´t know how you do it, but you always pull out an underappreciated band out of your sleeve and it´s high quality.
FTIsland was pretty huge when I got into K-Pop which was about 3-4 years ago, at least much more relevant than these days, same with CNBLUE but one of their members was involved in the Burning Sun Scandal which damaged their reputation too.

Another band is N.Flying, they are doing pretty good too but just as all the other bands nothing really outstanding popularity wise

Reactions: Vikki and brekker

brekker

Star
Reactions Received
Wreck
FTIsland was pretty huge when I got into K-Pop which was about 3-4 years ago, at least much more relevant than these days, same with CNBLUE but one of their members was involved in the Burning Sun Scandal which damaged their reputation too.

Another band is N.Flying, they are doing pretty good too but just as all the other bands nothing really outstanding popularity wise
yeah I have started listening to kpop about one year ago. I mean, I remember listening to IKON about 2-3 years ago and some other random songs, but I would not call myself a kpop fan, that came on later :D. so I am always like Alice in Wonderland, but I know N.Flying. Didn´t really catch my attention tbh, but maybe they deserve a new chance.

Vikki

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Bands tend to be not as popuular as people have said. FNC is kind of the band company, but even one of theirs, Honeyst, weren't that popular despite their labelmates FTIsland and CNBlue being more popular back in the day. That being said, rock in Korea isn't as underappreciated as some people say. It's just less popular compared to typical kpop because typical kpop is more popular.

Reactions: Myco and brekker

brekker

Star
Reactions Received
Wreck
Bands tend to be not as popuular as people have said. FNC is kind of the band company, but even one of theirs, Honeyst, weren't that popular despite their labelmates FTIsland and CNBlue being more popular back in the day. That being said, rock in Korea isn't as underappreciated as some people say. It's just less popular compared to typical kpop because typical kpop is more popular.
yeah, I guess the question is what is really popular in Korea and what is popular internationally. that might be it too. I was really surprised to see how immensely popular Seventeen is. Not that Seventeen would be anything but quality, but I would have never said they would be second, third most popular band. I just feel they get more recognition home rather than internationally.

Reactions: Myco and Vikki

Myco

Ace of Hearts
Reactions Received
Pronouns
He/Him
K-Rock is still pretty popular overall, the fan base for the bands who already established themselves well enough can keep the groups over water pretty well, sadly that wasn't the case for Honeyst or The Rose as it seems these days

Reactions: brekker and Vikki

Vikki

Future Canadian Hobo
Reactions Received
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
yeah, I guess the question is what is really popular in Korea and what is popular internationally. that might be it too. I was really surprised to see how immensely popular Seventeen is. Not that Seventeen would be anything but quality, but I would have never said they would be second, third most popular band. I just feel they get more recognition home rather than internationally.
For sure, some groups like BtoB, SF9, and Shinee are more popular in Korea than internationally, though shinee ofc are big internationally too.

Reactions: brekker

Users who are viewing this thread