[18+][RANT] The Awful state of Yaoi/BL webtoons. (1 Viewer)

Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
*As I said in the title this is a rant and absolutely my personal opinion so be mindful if you want to keep reading.

I've been reading yaoi for a while now, is one of my guilty pleasures because I know most of it is kinda dumb and very much a fetishization of homosexual relationships after all, the genre was born with females as their main target.
I'm going to be honest with you, my heterosexual self cannot help but read those spicy mangas in delight, with the hardcore stuff and everything. Not something I would practice myself (for the most part) but I'm very open minded so, I don't take offense on things that may be too much for other people. Anyways, the point is that I like the stories that also have substance. The romance and the spice and why not some other subplot with action or something like that with characters and situations I could relate to.
The thing is that yesterday, I was looking for something new to read and I was baffled by the amount of stories that are either Omegaverse (or however you call it) or a romanticised abuse story. Those omegaverse mangas deserve a whole rant on their own but in short, everything that happens on the plot has to do with hormones or whatever. The uke breaks a nail: it's the pheromones, if the seme is doing bad at work: is the pheromones, if the uke starts acting stupid: is the pheromones. They don't do anything on their own, it's all because they can't control themselves... It's really frustrating because you actually want characters taking decisions and expressing themselves because they want to not because they're in heat. With that said, being an alpha, omega or whatever is not a personality trait. Characters should at least convince the audience they can do more than just look high and fuck all the time.

The other one is probably the worst, the romanticised abuse. Let me be clear, I am not expecting my characters to be all good and mighty. Complex characters give you complex situations and better storytelling. So making your seme or your uke a person with certain weakness in order to make it grow along the story is good but since when the toxic narcissistic assholes became a thing? I don't know if it's because I had my fair share of toxicity from an ex but I just can't believe how these stories portrait the semes as gods of sex which have the ability of treating people like trash and yet they get everyone on their knees, like literally...Wtf? And the worst part is that the ukes are sooo bland and dumb. The levels of gaslighting and physical abuse going on makes me want to puke but in the story is like nothing happens. No learning from your mistakes, no regrets, no change, zero accountability. The main couple gets to be together despite all toxicity going on and people enjoy this...

I know I may be late to the party, since I'm aware the Christian Gray's are trendy but I can't stand it. Is not believable, even for a manga, that someone would endure that kind of treatment and not even protest.
That's it that was the rant.
:nekosweat::nekosweat:

@Anime
 
Joined
18 June 2020
Messages
651
Reactions Received
1,212
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Other
Pronouns
they/them
*As I said in the title this is a rant and absolutely my personal opinion so be mindful if you want to keep reading.

I've been reading yaoi for a while now, is one of my guilty pleasures because I know most of it is kinda dumb and very much a fetishization of homosexual relationships after all, the genre was born with females as their main target.
I'm going to be honest with you, my heterosexual self cannot help but read those spicy mangas in delight, with the hardcore stuff and everything. Not something I would practice myself (for the most part) but I'm very open minded so, I don't take offense on things that may be too much for other people. Anyways, the point is that I like the stories that also have substance. The romance and the spice and why not some other subplot with action or something like that with characters and situations I could relate to.
The thing is that yesterday, I was looking for something new to read and I was baffled by the amount of stories that are either Omegaverse (or however you call it) or a romanticised abuse story. Those omegaverse mangas deserve a whole rant on their own but in short, everything that happens on the plot has to do with hormones or whatever. The uke breaks a nail: it's the pheromones, if the seme is doing bad at work: is the pheromones, if the uke starts acting stupid: is the pheromones. They don't do anything on their own, it's all because they can't control themselves... It's really frustrating because you actually want characters taking decisions and expressing themselves because they want to not because they're in heat. With that said, being an alpha, omega or whatever is not a personality trait. Characters should at least convince the audience they can do more than just look high and fuck all the time.

The other one is probably the worst, the romanticised abuse. Let me be clear, I am not expecting my characters to be all good and mighty. Complex characters give you complex situations and better storytelling. So making your seme or your uke a person with certain weakness in order to make it grow along the story is good but since when the toxic narcissistic assholes became a thing? I don't know if it's because I had my fair share of toxicity from an ex but I just can't believe how these stories portrait the semes as gods of sex which have the ability of treating people like trash and yet they get everyone on their knees, like literally...Wtf? And the worst part is that the ukes are sooo bland and dumb. The levels of gaslighting and physical abuse going on makes me want to puke but in the story is like nothing happens. No learning from your mistakes, no regrets, no change, zero accountability. The main couple gets to be together despite all toxicity going on and people enjoy this...

I know I may be late to the party, since I'm aware the Christian Gray's are trendy but I can't stand it. Is not believable, even for a manga, that someone would endure that kind of treatment and not even protest.
That's it that was the rant.
:nekosweat::nekosweat:

@Anime
THIS!!!! THE FUCKING r*pe IN MOST YAOIS AND BL AND PUSH IT OFF AS “they wanted it it’s sexy” IS SO DISGUSTING AND UGHHHH. NOT ONLY DOES IT HURT THE LGBT COMMUNITY BUT WHENEVER WAS IT OK TO ROMANTISIZE ABUSE??? (Sorry for the Caps this has been on my mind for too long :maheart: )
 

daesuki

이 비가 그칠 땐 각자 있던 곳에서
.
.
Joined
4 January 2020
Messages
16,598
Reactions Received
31,252
Location
you clouds rain
Website
daesukiii.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
38,410
Fandom
YOLO
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Ship
I like to read bl/yaoi fanfic and stuff but i totally get you like bruh

there are some good a/b/o out there, idk bout comics but I've read some stories tart are good about it. But so many of them are so abusive or bad, like jesus chill hahaha

you can have a/b/o and keep the characters sane and not overdramatising the hormones, etc. You can have a/b/o and have a good plot/ You can have a/b/o without narcissistic dumbasses who are wannabe cristian grays.

and the romantisicing abuse, don't. you can write in the pov of the abuser who thinks its fine, you can write it in the pov of the abused who thinks its fine, but you cannot make it hot. do not make it hot. it is not hot. Write abuse, but write it well. Make sure it is shown and explained that it is bad and shouldn't ever be all right.
 

Taehyun

☾ abbacchio simp ⛧
.
Joined
21 May 2020
Messages
598
Reactions Received
1,346
Location
♡ L.O.Λ.E ☆
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
☆ MOA ♡
Gender
Male
it just makes u wonder how they view gay men since 80% of yaoi manga includes rape and toxic relationships
 

lexus

Otaku Bestie
.
.
.
.
Joined
12 September 2018
Messages
66,873
Reactions Received
97,852
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134,940
Fandom
Number One
Gender
Female
Wreck
For real though. I can’t stand how common sexual assault is in yaoi and I wish they’d stop including these types of themes. I even read a manga where someone got gang raped and he kept saying how it “felt so good”. I can’t stand how they make the victim “enjoy” getting raped. It’s ridiculous
 
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
THIS!!!! THE FUCKING r*pe IN MOST YAOIS AND BL AND PUSH IT OFF AS “they wanted it it’s sexy” IS SO DISGUSTING AND UGHHHH. NOT ONLY DOES IT HURT THE LGBT COMMUNITY BUT WHENEVER WAS IT OK TO ROMANTISIZE ABUSE??? (Sorry for the Caps this has been on my mind for too long :maheart:
I know right?! Whenever there is a scene like that I'm always like wtf? It's the absolute worst.
 
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I completely understand. Especially the omegaverse ones, they don't even have any plot to them other than having sex. And yeah, I also don't get why fans worship abusive characters, it's insane.
The last weebtoon I found while searching, had both things: omegaverse and abusive seme. I've never seen something more ridiculous, it starts with the uke being raped at an orgy organized by the seme (who doesn't like men but will have sex with the uke in heat) and when the uke is legit having a mental crisis because of it, the only thing he managed to say was like: You should've been more careful, eveyone was an alpha in the party, I'm sure you liked it.
Disgusting, just disgusting...
 
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
For real though. I can’t stand how common sexual assault is in yaoi and I wish they’d stop including these types of themes. I even read a manga where someone got gang raped and he kept saying how it “felt so good”. I can’t stand how they make the victim “enjoy” getting raped. It’s ridiculous
Omg, it makes me so angry! Uggh!
 
  • Like
Reactions: lexus and Taehyun
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
it just makes u wonder how they view gay men since 80% of yaoi manga includes rape and toxic relationships
Tbh, I'm not familiarized with yaoi/BL mangakas even for the ones that I've read and are kind of popular they're not as famous as shonen or shojo mangakas, so I can't tell if they belong to the Lgbt community or not. In any case it's disturbing how they represent gay relationships or any other for that matter, love has nothing to do with abuse.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Taehyun
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I like to read bl/yaoi fanfic and stuff but i totally get you like bruh

there are some good a/b/o out there, idk bout comics but I've read some stories tart are good about it. But so many of them are so abusive or bad, like jesus chill hahaha

you can have a/b/o and keep the characters sane and not overdramatising the hormones, etc. You can have a/b/o and have a good plot/ You can have a/b/o without narcissistic dumbasses who are wannabe cristian grays.

and the romantisicing abuse, don't. you can write in the pov of the abuser who thinks its fine, you can write it in the pov of the abused who thinks its fine, but you cannot make it hot. do not make it hot. it is not hot. Write abuse, but write it well. Make sure it is shown and explained that it is bad and shouldn't ever be all right.
100 % this. I've seen stories with abuse, where both of the main characters are just wrong but the story never paints it as good or tries to make it romantic. At the end of the day, they at least try to give some redeeming quality to the characters and make it more realistic but nowadays they don't even take the time to do that.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: daesuki and Taehyun

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread