A Rant, Starring "Reverse Racism" (1 Viewer)

Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
WARNING: This is a somewhat controversial topic, so if you may not be able
to handle differing views, maybe the best thing is to leave before it may get bad.



So, I was scrolling through Youtube last night and encountered a video about the many non-Asians
who have entered the Korean industry and a lot of comments were either in support of them, but only
if they had talent, or thought they shouldn't be in the market at all. Neither of those comments really
bothered me, it was a certain couple replies that really got me on the edge.

A guy from Korea commented in reply to the main post that the reason it is hard for some idols of different
race to enter the market is because Korea still does hold some racist tendencies towards others. He mentioned
that there are some parts of Korea where white and black people are not accepted well and it may be one of
the underlying causes as to why they are just not socially accepted to be a part of the Korean industry. And some
girl from America, had the audacity to tell him that he didn't know what he was talking about DESPITE him talking
about his own country.

This girl went on to say that "reverse racism" didn't exist. Ya' know what, you're right. It doesn't exist. Because it's
just plain old racism. She then said that white people can't experience racism, yet I can assure you if I go down
South into a city that's majority of a different race I will be looked down upon by some. Those who are used to oppression
may experience stigma or hateful feelings towards those who they are being oppressed by. I am not saying all do this,
because they don't. Some do but not a lot. But just because not a lot do doesn't mean racism towards white people isn't
a thing. A why does racism towards white people get brushed under the rug?

Let's begin our search. Sarah Jeong was hired by the New York Times as an editorial director in 2018. The controversy
began when she wrote:

"Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like grovelling goblins.”
“It’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men”
“White people have stopped breeding. You’ll all go extinct soon. This was my plan all along.”


Okay let's be honest, if we placed any other race instead of white it would be racist and disgusting. So why is it acceptable
now in this case? Why should it be acceptable? I'm not sorry, we shouldn't accept racism in any form from anyone. It is
intolerable, it is disgusting, it is hatred that needs to be rid from this Earth. And another thing to talk about, people saying
because you are Hispanic, Asian, or black you can't be racist that it is impossible for you to be racist. What? Do people
seriously say this? Yes, they do. Despite logic saying anyone can be racist towards anyone, they choose to believe that people
of different ethnicity or race other than white can't be racist. My godmother, who has passed, was racist towards black folk down
South and she was black. I remember being very little and not understanding why she was so upset but the words that came out
of that womans mouth to describe some of those kids was disgusting. It was horrendous and no wonder my mother would always
drag me away when she started.

I think we've gotten to a time where we need to accept the facts and start thinking logically. Enough with the politically correct shit,
just start thinking logically and do not let racism happen to anyone. If you do not like it happening to you, then why are you letting
it happen to others?
​
 
Last edited:

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
i definitely agree that people need to stop with the "you can't be racist to white ppl" shit. it's a losing argument. and it is SO UNREASONABLE that it stops literally every discussion. there's a reason why racism is qualified by systemic racism. bc the term racism doesn't mean prejudice + power. it means prejudice and you qualify it with power. and in that case, yea white people haven't faced systemic racism in the west. it's extremely silly that this person is trying to use a western argument to validate a korean one.

but i don't think you should be quoting sarah jeong. the alt-right literally blasted her by taking her out of context. that's actually another reason why i hate when ppl say you can't be racist to white people, because it fuels white identitarians.
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
i definitely agree that people need to stop with the "you can't be racist to white ppl" shit. it's a losing argument. and it is SO UNREASONABLE that it stops literally every discussion. there's a reason why racism is qualified by systemic racism. bc the term racism doesn't mean prejudice + power. it means prejudice and you qualify it with power. and in that case, yea white people haven't faced systemic racism in the west. it's extremely silly that this person is trying to use a western argument to validate a korean one.

but i don't think you should be quoting sarah jeong. the alt-right literally blasted her by taking her out of context. that's actually another reason why i hate when ppl say you can't be racist against white people, because it fuels white identitarians.
See, I do not associate with left or right because of how much I disagree with both. But honestly, those quotes are from direct tweets and I can find them. I do not know her, nor do I hold an ill will towards her but the fact that she was let off the hook and defended was, in my opinion, ridiculous. Letting open hate happen to any race is not okay.
 
Joined
23 June 2019
Messages
1,759
Reactions Received
10,279
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
i definitely agree that people need to stop with the "you can't be racist to white ppl" shit. it's a losing argument. and it is SO UNREASONABLE that it stops literally every discussion. there's a reason why racism is qualified by systemic racism. bc the term racism doesn't mean prejudice + power. it means prejudice and you qualify it with power. and in that case, yea white people haven't faced systemic racism in the west. it's extremely silly that this person is trying to use a western argument to validate a korean one.

but i don't think you should be quoting sarah jeong. the alt-right literally blasted her by taking her out of context. that's actually another reason why i hate when ppl say you can't be racist to white people, because it fuels white identitarians.

In and of it'self saying you can't be racist to white people is racist, but it is proceved as more racist to call people out for saying so. Because white people are always made the bad guy some people think it's ok. Look at history it's not just the pale countries that start stuff.

TBH I hate being white living in america because no matter what I do is racist. Because my ancestors supposivly owned slaves. I'm third and/or fourth generation here Irish/German/Welch no they didn't.

My point is Western Racism is a whole can of worms. IT's a special type of racism, and it only effects America. But boy does America try to copy and paste that racism on to other countries. I won't go into detail why I feel this way , because I am not going to start anything. Better to keep ones mouth shut.

But on Korea's end I think more education and a push for acceptance would start opening the doors. I watched a video once of why some Koreans hated foreigners and they mentioned crime.They didn't want their neighborhoods to decline because some foreigners with bad manners.
 

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
See, I do not associate with left or right because of how much I disagree with both. But honestly, those quotes are from direct tweets and I can find them. I do not know her, nor do I hold an ill will towards her but the fact that she was let off the hook and defended was, in my opinion, ridiculous. Letting open hate happen to any race is not okay.
yea i agree with you i just think there's more to these kinds of tweets. in sarah jeong's case, these are tweets she posted back in 2014 that no one took objection too until some alt-righter blasted it out in 2018. but what were the intentions of her tweets? in some she was complaining about the fact that serial made a spectacle of a girl's death without the blessing of her family and she was reacting to the girl's brother coming forward to say as much. and in her opinion this was yet another example of white people disregarding minority voices. in another tweet she was turning the muslim ban on its head and saying "i hope white people have to undergo additional screening before boarding municipal transportation".

in the same vein, this is a shirt that got people hot and bothered too:

34329


people just don't bother to consider intention anymore. which isn't right.

i just think people need to be careful about this topic and need to consider how nuanced it is. not saying white people can't experience racism, it's just these examples are of an asian woman trying to use racist language a lot of white people use and twist it to make a point. the idea is to point out how fucked up and absurd this mentality is.

don't get me wrong, she was still wrong to tweet this shit out. all it does is help actual racists strengthen their own bigotry.
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
yea i agree with you i just think there's more to these kinds of tweets. in sarah jeong's case, these are tweets she posted back in 2014 that no one took objection too until some alt-righter blasted it out in 2018. but what were the intentions of her tweets? in some she was complaining about the fact that serial made a spectacle of a girl's death without the blessing of her family and she was reacting to the girl's brother coming forward to say as much. and in her opinion this was yet another example of white people disregarding minority voices. in another tweet she was turning the muslim ban on its head and saying "i hope white people have to undergo additional screening before boarding municipal transportation".

in the same vein, this is a shirt that got people hot and bothered too:

34329


people just don't bother to consider intention anymore. which isn't right.

i just think people need to be careful about this topic and need to consider how nuanced it is. not saying white people can't experience racism, it's just these examples are of an asian woman trying to use racist language a lot of white people use and twist it to make a point. the idea is to point out how fucked up and absurd this mentality is.

don't get me wrong, she was still wrong to tweet this shit out. all it does is help actual racists strengthen their own bigotry.
Oh okay, I get what you're saying. I didn't know they blasted her like that now, I thought this was recent. Thank you for explaining!
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
In and of it'self saying you can't be racist to white people is racist, but it is proceved as more racist to call people out for saying so. Because white people are always made the bad guy some people think it's ok. Look at history it's not just the pale countries that start stuff.

TBH I hate being white living in america because no matter what I do is racist. Because my ancestors supposivly owned slaves. I'm third and/or fourth generation here Irish/German/Welch no they didn't.

My point is Western Racism is a whole can of worms. IT's a special type of racism, and it only effects America. But boy does America try to copy and paste that racism on to other countries. I won't go into detail why I feel this way , because I am not going to start anything. Better to keep ones mouth shut.

But on Korea's end I think more education and a push for acceptance would start opening the doors. I watched a video once of why some Koreans hated foreigners and they mentioned crime.They didn't want their neighborhoods to decline because some foreigners with bad manners.
A flaw within society is that we blame each other for the acts of their ancestors and assume based on skin color alone. It seems this generation hasn't gotten it fully through to their head that we are NOT our ancestors and a majority of us want to move on and look towards a brighter future where everyone co-exists in peace. But with how divided America has become it's becoming impossible to do this. People are now acting out of hatred, no matter what their race.
 

arieam

.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
1,232
Reactions Received
5,247
Location
Canada
Website
youtube.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
In and of it'self saying you can't be racist to white people is racist, but it is proceved as more racist to call people out for saying so. Because white people are always made the bad guy some people think it's ok. Look at history it's not just the pale countries that start stuff.

TBH I hate being white living in america because no matter what I do is racist. Because my ancestors supposivly owned slaves. I'm third and/or fourth generation here Irish/German/Welch no they didn't.

My point is Western Racism is a whole can of worms. IT's a special type of racism, and it only effects America. But boy does America try to copy and paste that racism on to other countries. I won't go into detail why I feel this way , because I am not going to start anything. Better to keep ones mouth shut.

But on Korea's end I think more education and a push for acceptance would start opening the doors. I watched a video once of why some Koreans hated foreigners and they mentioned crime.They didn't want their neighborhoods to decline because some foreigners with bad manners.
i think looking at history its pretty clear that this isn't really about the fact that the pale countries weren't the only ones that started stuff, but that white countries did a lot of bad shit on the basis that they were of the white race and therefore "better". that's something that just can't be erased... but it's also really important to remember white people helped defeat the people who believed this shit too. it's not like they all think the same.

but yea i agree that america does try to copy and paste their racism on to other countries. it's so unnecessary.

i gotta point out tho that...it's kind of insensitive to say you hate being white living in america. its just white people in general do have it better in america compared to minorities
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
I whole heartedly agree. The narrative that a white individual cannot experience racism is far from the truth. Honestly, I believe this narrative is pushed by non white Westerners who have never experienced living in a non white majority country. Why do I say this? Because if a white person lives in a homogeneous country like Korea or Japan or even India, they're gonna, without a doubt, experience some form of racism, directly or most of the time, indirectly.

Furthermore, the fact that we minorities can't be racist is also VERY far from the truth. A huge chunk of my family is extremely racist. They regard many races as inferior and it is disgusting. I can chalk it up to ignorance but most of these individuals are educated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: arieam and Ineul_Ze
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
I whole heartedly agree. The narrative that a white individual cannot experience racism is far from the truth. Honestly, I believe this narrative is pushed by non white Westerners who have never experienced living in a non white majority country. Why do I say this? Because if a white person lives in a homogeneous country like Korea or Japan or even India, they're gonna, without a doubt, experience some form of racism, directly or most of the time, indirectly.

Furthermore, the fact that we minorities can't be racist is also VERY far from the truth. A huge chunk of my family is extremely racist. They regard many races as inferior and it is disgusting. I can chalk it up to ignorance but most of these individuals are educated.
this is off topic but I remember something about you saying you were visiting India a month or two back, how did it go?
 
  • Love
Reactions: Darkyoda47
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Going in a week! :D
Just saying, if you're going to be in Mumbai good luck. This was my first year experiencing monsoon season and boy do I not want to do that again haha.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
Just saying, if you're going to be in Mumbai good luck. This was my first year experiencing monsoon season and boy do I not want to do that again haha.
LOL nah I'm going to Delhi. Heard it's extremely hot there. Pray for me sis :sanapray:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ineul_Ze
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
LOL nah I'm going to Delhi. Heard it's extremely hot there. Pray for me sis :sanapray:
Will do, hot weather was not meant for those used to the harsh winters of the North :nekosweat:
 
  • Love
Reactions: Darkyoda47

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Well my point of view is kinda influenced not only by my country, but also how these things are theorized in university here and currently as it stans "race" is not seen as viable concept. One of my teachers once said that "humans don't have breeds only dogs do". The word for race in Finnish is same as word for breed and it's seen that race is not biological, it's only social word and construct. And I'm more used to consider racism as sth towards ethnicity and nationality than race anyways since lot of it in my country is towards Russians (who are also white), sometimes Estonians (white) and Romani. In other hand FInnish people weren't even seen as white (enough) by other europeans longest time and were even persecuted cause of this in USA (denied health care, had KKK after them). Instead Finnish people were argued to be mongoloid at this time, some kind of Asian hybrid?

And well what comes to how racism is thought in USA versus my country, well I think there is lot of ignorance in my country about some of stuff and USA's PC culture has actually affected this in good way too like some products with racial caricatures have changed their packaging and marketing. In other hand USA is actually somewhat ignorant too, like the usage of word "gypsy" which is seen as downright slur towards Romani in Finland is common in USA they even give that word as their children's names, put it in products and tv series titles. Such thing wouldn't fly in FInland it would be considered same as having n-word or some other racist term as name here. This is sth Romani have actually complied about too, but it's still not widely seen as racist still.

Also for another point of view what is considered systematic racism can be argued too. USA collects information on people's races, I remember South African comedian say when they moved to USA they had to fill paper and state what their race was in that paper. In other hand Finland doesn't have such statistic since race isn't seen as thing like it's seen in USA and then it'd be racist to ask people what their race is and collect such information. But I have seen someone argue FInland is so racist that it doesn't even have information and statistics of minority races..
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread