Adopt VS. Shop? (1 Viewer)

Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
1,049
Reactions Received
4,251
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
V.I.P
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
So there has always been a saying of "Adopt don't shop", but what is your opinion on it?
Have you had experiences with only adoption? Only breeders? Or both? What are you for?
What are you against?


Personally, I am an adopt AND shop type of person. I am completely against puppy mills,
however, when it comes to breeders of certain breeds I am completely fine with people owning
and purchasing from breeders. I myself have a dog from a breeder, but I've also had countless
rescues growing up. I believe that if people feel more comfortable adopting then they should be
allowed and not judged for adoption, and vice versa for purchasing dogs/cats from breeders. I
hate the shaming that people do to those who purchase from breeders, it bugs me to no end. I think
all animals should be able to find a loving home, no matter where they come from.

​
 

taemkitten

누난 너무 예뻐
.
.
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
2,581
Reactions Received
10,912
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
So there has always been a saying of "Adopt don't shop", but what is your opinion on it?
Have you had experiences with only adoption? Only breeders? Or both? What are you for?
What are you against?


Personally, I am an adopt AND shop type of person. I am completely against puppy mills,
however, when it comes to breeders of certain breeds I am completely fine with people owning
and purchasing from breeders. I myself have a dog from a breeder, but I've also had countless
rescues growing up. I believe that if people feel more comfortable adopting then they should be
allowed and not judged for adoption, and vice versa for purchasing dogs/cats from breeders. I
hate the shaming that people do to those who purchase from breeders, it bugs me to no end. I think
all animals should be able to find a loving home, no matter where they come from.

​
I couldn't agree more with what you said in regards to this topic
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,388
Reactions Received
151,400
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,595
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Given the choice I would rather adopt, however in my situation adopting a dog here is almost impossible so we did get our from a breeder. I think the main thing is you're giving an animal a loving home no matter where its from, and that is what is the most important.
 

Darkseid

Naevis Calling
.
.
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
22,959
Reactions Received
108,834
Location
Kwangya
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
Ship
I'm against puppy mills or backyard breeders too but there are many reputed breeders who clearly care for the dogs and I don't see anything wrong with purchasing a puppy from them. These breeders usually take care in breeding healthy breeds so that genetic defects/diseases are minimized. And some people prefer getting purebreeds coz it's easier to expect/anticipate what kind of behavior your dog will show as it grows up among other things. Of course a lot of that also has to do with how you raise your pet but yeah.

And of course adopting is always a good choice, so many loving animals given away by their owners with nowhere to go, some end up in the pound which is just heartbreaking. So whatever suits you, just make a well informed choice and you'll have a loyal, loving companion for life.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ineul_Ze

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I have experience with just shopping and well I prefer it. Reason being that it's actually quite difficult to find dogs to adopt, there isn't really many in the shelters and it's usually older dogs and breeds that have some issues and I don't think I could really train them properly from the issues they have.

I'm against of puppy mills and also buying dogs abroad with cheap price cause those are almost always from puppy mills. Though cannot say either of our dogs has been from legit breeder, our older dog was accident puppy from countryside and I'm pretty sure my current dog was from Estonian puppymill, but well didn't buy her myself, she was pretty much pushed to me since she didn't like my sisters kid (she dislikes kids). Thankfully, she's sweet dog and hasn't had health issues, still not into supporting that business.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread