TV BL fans who have seen TharnType please read this thread (1 Viewer)

Day

♡ ຕɪѕѕɪηɢ уᴏᴜ ♡
.
.
.
Joined
20 October 2018
Messages
126,058
Reactions Received
53,013
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
524,535
Ship
Wreck
TharnType is a BL that I've seen recommended to BL fans A LOT, especially on Twitter and in MDL recommendation lists.

My question to the KPS users who have seen TharnType is did it make you uncomfortable and what did you think of it as a whole?

I was very uncomfortable during my time watching this BL, the fact that the main character is homophobic and to the extent of being PHYSICALLY ABUSIVE really fucked me up the first time I watched it. I forced myself to watch the show because I understood that the nature of their relationship would change to become something more accepting/intimate but the depiction of violence really never left me and I rated the drama a 5.5/10 stars because of my discomfort level with the aggressive actions by the male lead. I also really fucking hated the sexual harassment in the series and it is NOT a good representation of real life or anything that a relationship should label as "goals".
 
  • Like
Reactions: Juniverse

Juniverse

Local Backstabber ♡
.
Joined
1 January 2020
Messages
11,006
Reactions Received
21,104
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
498
Fandom
Deobi
Wreck
I've watched Tharntype around 3 times? It was one of my first BLs. It didn't make me that uncomfortable but the subject matter of that show is quite dark so I can see how others would get turned off by it. The leads' actions towards each other were not okay but I think it gives the show a sense of realism that other shows don't give. Someone who suffered abuse like that at a young age and grew up to be homophobic would no doubt become physically violent if confronted with things that remind him of the trauma he suffered so I never held it against him. My main problem was Tharn pushing himself onto Type when he was clearly uncomfortable.

A lot of people disliked Type because "ew homophobes" and yeah homophobia is not it but what do you expect from someone who was sexually abused and never got help to deal with it, instead carrying the trauma for years?

A lot of the show dealt with darker subject matters, like what Lhong did to Tar, it's quite heartbreaking to see how it was handled. Even in Love By Chance, Tar was thoroughly fucked up because of it and the only person who was really there for him was Tum, his stepbrother who was in love with him.

Season two and the movie were better because they had a healthy relationship then, though there were still some odd aspects.

As a whole I thought it was a good drama though a bit overrated and the way they glossed over some aspects was questionable. And Gulf is one of my favorite actors, he is such a cutie and nothing like the character he portrayed.

The reason you are probably seeing it recommended a lot is because it's a BL staple, any dedicated BL fan has probably seen it. It's a classic BL/trope but with substance and layers to the story which created a great drama but a lot of it was executed wrong.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Day1

Day

♡ ຕɪѕѕɪηɢ уᴏᴜ ♡
.
.
.
Joined
20 October 2018
Messages
126,058
Reactions Received
53,013
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
524,535
Ship
Wreck
I've watched Tharntype around 3 times? It was one of my first BLs. It didn't make me that uncomfortable but the subject matter of that show is quite dark so I can see how others would get turned off by it. The leads' actions towards each other were not okay but I think it gives the show a sense of realism that other shows don't give. Someone who suffered abuse like that at a young age and grew up to be homophobic would no doubt become physically violent if confronted with things that remind him of the trauma he suffered so I never held it against him. My main problem was Tharn pushing himself onto Type when he was clearly uncomfortable.

A lot of people disliked Type because "ew homophobes" and yeah homophobia is not it but what do you expect from someone who was sexually abused and never got help to deal with it, instead carrying the trauma for years?

A lot of the show dealt with darker subject matters, like what Lhong did to Tar, it's quite heartbreaking to see how it was handled. Even in Love By Chance, Tar was thoroughly fucked up because of it and the only person who was really there for him was Tum, his stepbrother who was in love with him.

Season two and the movie were better because they had a healthy relationship then, though there were still some odd aspects.

As a whole I thought it was a good drama though a bit overrated and the way they glossed over some aspects was questionable. And Gulf is one of my favorite actors, he is such a cutie and nothing like the character he portrayed.

The reason you are probably seeing it recommended a lot is because it's a BL staple, any dedicated BL fan has probably seen it. It's a classic BL/trope but with substance and layers to the story which created a great drama but a lot of it was executed wrong.
I should watch the 2nd season, it sounds more interesting.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Juniverse

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread