Right, now that I've seen more replies it's time I clarify that while I'm not saying Jussie is innocent, I'm also not necessarily implying he's the fishy one. Y'all are really that ready to believe a notoriously, historically corrupt justice system just like that? Do people forget Chicago PD literally just disappeared people to an off-the-books warehouse like they were playing CIA for years with no basic rights, most without access to lawyers, and that the majority of those detained there were black?
No one has clean hands here, that's for sure, but there's way too much trust in law enforcement's account, considering their very recent past.
Nope. However, CPD's notorious corruption does not make me trust Jussie Smollet's claims, and CPD's dirty track record mean that they 100% always corrupt in every case they process. (I'm not saying that you're saying that, I'm just speaking in general.)
CPD handled this entire case as if we were in a cop TV drama -- making statements before all the evidence was in, pandering to the media, posturing as if they were going to "put Jussie in his place," so to speak. But even before CPD came out with
anything, some people were questioning Jussie's story because it sounded outrageous. Of course, given the climate, a lot more people were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But then the GMA interview came, and that's when people really started to side-eye him. CPD's evidence, what little of it there may be, was enough to have people continue to question his story (while also trashing CPD, because we have a long memory when it comes to the unfairness of the justice system against AAs).
So nah, we don't place our full trust in CPD, nor did most of us forget about it. Some of us just don't believe Jussie either.