Rumor BTS Enlistment Postponement (1 Viewer)

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Isn't that the same statement that was used like the last 2 years about BTS enlistment tho? There were even videos made asking what Korean think about BTS postponing their enlistment or not having to go at all with the same statement.
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Isn't that the same statement that was used like the last 2 years about BTS enlistment tho? There were even videos made asking what Korean think about BTS postponing their enlistment or not having to go at all with the same statement.
It's because of the Hot 100
Korea is really really really proud rn
Over 200 articles were written within the hour
 

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
It's because of the Hot 100
Korea is really really really proud rn
Over 200 articles were written within the hour
Yeah I know lol, even the president wrote a letter :sanapray:
I still think they'll go serve their country since that's what they said iirc? "When the time is calling we'll go", or sth like that but even if they don't I doubt it'll get much backlash with what they achieved with Dynamite and all the achievements before that as well.
 

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
PEOPLE STILL THINK BTS IS THE SOLE REASON OF THE GROWTH IN TOURISM WHEN

Asia in 2019 saw a rise of 7% of arrivals due to a strong economy
The Winter Olympics were held in 2018 in SK, thus attracting more visitors
Growing purchasing power, increased air connectivity and enhanced visa facilitation continued to boost travel within and outside Asia
4 out 5 tourists in 2018 traveled in their own region
SK, together with Japan, China and Canada are seen as the next greatest economical powers and thus have a lot of business tourism
Majority of outbound arrivals in SK are for MEDICAL TOURISM as they're the leading country in PS
SK is one of the leading countries in technology thus important for business tourism


BUT YEAH IT'S THE BOYBAND

(yes, the culture is one of the most popular reasons to go but kpop is only a minority of the reasons people visit)
Sorry but I hate it when people, especially politicians lie about tourism to get the likes of some crazy fangirls.
UNWTO reports are free to read btw
 

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
PEOPLE STILL THINK BTS IS THE SOLE REASON OF THE GROWTH IN TOURISM WHEN

Asia in 2019 saw a rise of 7% of arrivals due to a strong economy
The Winter Olympics were held in 2018 in SK, thus attracting more visitors
Growing purchasing power, increased air connectivity and enhanced visa facilitation continued to boost travel within and outside Asia
4 out 5 tourists in 2018 traveled in their own region
SK, together with Japan, China and Canada are seen as the next greatest economical powers and thus have a lot of business tourism
Majority of outbound arrivals in SK are for MEDICAL TOURISM as they're the leading country in PS
SK is one of the leading countries in technology thus important for business tourism


BUT YEAH IT'S THE BOYBAND

(yes, the culture is one of the most popular reasons to go but kpop is only a minority of the reasons people visit)
Sorry but I hate it when people, especially politicians lie about tourism to get the likes of some crazy fangirls.
UNWTO reports are free to read btw
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
Meh. I would prefer them to serve when the time comes as they said it themselves even though the expression ”when the time comes” is vague and ambiguous. It’s their duty as Korean men though it’s not like I was impatient to see them enlisting.

I am not Korean and it’s not my place to talk about it anyways. I think that it’s better for them to serve and avoid any kind of hate in their country. They said several times that in spite of promoting all over the world, they actually prefer when they promote in Korea and it’s just normal. Nobody want to be hated in their homeland.

The last time that a politician tried to submit a bill regarding military exemption or postponement for idols, some agencies showed up to the meetings about it but not Big Hit.

This legislative bill is maybe not going to be voted anyways.


PEOPLE STILL THINK BTS IS THE SOLE REASON OF THE GROWTH IN TOURISM WHEN

Asia in 2019 saw a rise of 7% of arrivals due to a strong economy
The Winter Olympics were held in 2018 in SK, thus attracting more visitors
Growing purchasing power, increased air connectivity and enhanced visa facilitation continued to boost travel within and outside Asia
4 out 5 tourists in 2018 traveled in their own region
SK, together with Japan, China and Canada are seen as the next greatest economical powers and thus have a lot of business tourism
Majority of outbound arrivals in SK are for MEDICAL TOURISM as they're the leading country in PS
SK is one of the leading countries in technology thus important for business tourism


BUT YEAH IT'S THE BOYBAND

(yes, the culture is one of the most popular reasons to go but kpop is only a minority of the reasons people visit)
Sorry but I hate it when people, especially politicians lie about tourism to get the likes of some crazy fangirls.
UNWTO reports are free to read btw
There are a lot of serious studies about BTS phenomenal impact on Korea economy. This impact is not limited to Korea. Jungkook read a Japanese book and then it became a best-seller in Japan and the best-selling Japanese book in Korea of all time. Some Japanese universities also did studies on the subject and called it the Jungkook effect. It’s one of the numerous examples of BTS effect on economy.

These politicians doesn’t want the ”likes of some crazy fangirls.” They want the prestige, the soft power and the money before all.

Not the first time that I saw you named ARMY in a derogative way. One day we are clowns and then crazy fangirls. I am not saying that to police you. You can do as you want but I don’t think that your opinion about BTS effect on Korea economy is neutral at all.
 
Last edited:

maruberry

🌈✨ FREE HUGS ✨🌈
.
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
13,505
Reactions Received
41,701
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
514
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
pretty sure this is an old af statement and I very much doubt that BTS would avoid military service.
Even if there is an amount of people who would want them exempt.... and exemption would generate a mountain of hate for them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VillageIdiot

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
These politicians doesn’t want the ”likes of some crazy fangirls.” They want the prestige, the soft power and the money before all.

Not the first time that I saw you named ARMY in a derogative way. One day we are clowns and then crazy fangirls. I am not saying that to police you. You can do as you want but I don’t think that your opinion about BTS effect on Korea economy is neutral at all.
EXCUSE ME?
I am allowed to voice my opinion and have done so with the necessary praise towards BTS. Credit where credit's due. All I do is call out the hypocrisy that is often paired when it comes to BTS in the kpop scene. Or am I not allowed to do so? Should I just smile and nod?
Also, when this BTS enlistment thing got mentioned, it was literally by politicians who used BTS to gain votes.
I have not downplayed the importance of BTS, but to claim BTS is the sole reason why Korea's tourism exploded is just ridiculous, which, btw, is portrayed as such in Korean media. I have never called ARMY clowns or crazy fangirls, don't put words in my mouth sweetie. We all know there are a bunch of crazy ARMY out there but they don't represent the whole fandom. Don't act as if you never said anything negative about a group or fandom.

Also here's my "not neutral" source; the UNWTO (United Nations World Tourism Organization). I used the report of 2019. I'll link it here
Asia in 2019 saw a rise of 7% of arrivals due to a strong economy
As you see: 7% more arrivals in Asia
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.43.14.png

Due to a strong economy worldwide.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.43.38.png


The Winter Olympics were held in 2018 in SK, thus attracting more visitors
Is described in the text. We see that a lot with the World Cup in football or the Olympic Games, IF the host country shows a good image. You can literally check this for yourself: look at the numbers of the host country of the year. You'll see more arrivals in most cases. Not all. Brazil had a bad image thus didn't have a lot of new visitors but still a bit more than usual.
Growing purchasing power, increased air connectivity and enhanced visa facilitation continued to boost travel within and outside Asia
Literally in the text. Do I need to say more?
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.44.34.png


4 out 5 tourists in 2018 traveled in their own region
AGAIN, literally in the report.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.44.53.png


SK, together with Japan, China and Canada are seen as the next greatest economical powers and thus have a lot of business tourism
SK is one of the leading countries in technology thus important for business tourism
For this one, I don't think you'll understand Dutch so I found other "biased" sources. I'll just show you some to prove the raise of business tourism for SK
First is the KTO aka Korea Tourism Organization. Here
When we look at "Purpose", we can see that the last few years, there's been a growth for "Business". We do see some losses as well but that happens with every purpose and every country, especially when you look at growths per month. Of course, you already knew this because you too have spent 2 full years of your life researching and interpreting numbers in the tourism industry (Ugh SPSS is such a pain in the butt am I right?)

For a second biased source, I'll refer to this article here. There's one thing that is very important for this biased argument
Rising MICE segment
Asia’s growing economy is having a positive impact on the business travel market. From January to August 2019, 17 per cent of Asians travelling abroad were on business / MICE trips, which compared to the previous year was an above-average increase of eight per cent. The MICE segment, with incentive travel and trips to trade fairs, was largely responsible for this growth, whereas traditional business trips were in decline.
Of course, you as a fellow travel professional already know that MICE stands for Meetings, Incentives, Conventions & Exhibitions and thus know that this is a part of business tourism

Majority of outbound arrivals in SK are for MEDICAL TOURISM as they're the leading country in PS
I will refer to this article that was written based on the numbers of the KTO (the source we mentioned above). Here. Korea was the 3rd most visited country in the WORLD with the purpose "Medical and wellness tourism". The reasons they go to SK for medical tourism according to the survey: "excellent skills of medical workers (43.2 percent), up-to-date medical equipment and facility (33.1 percent), medical institutions’ reliability (32.8 percent)".

I also included something from a powerpoint from a guest lecture. As you see, like I mentioned, Kpop does contribute to their tourism, but not as big as the media makes it out to be. This is not all tourism, just different purposes in "Leisure tourism"
yes, the culture is one of the most popular reasons to go but kpop is only a minority of the reasons people visit
So there's no lie here either.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 22.02.32.png


Here's another bonus: this chart shows that tourist arrivals have only grown since the years, with a few exceptions. Korean tourism has grown even before BTS existed.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 22.11.49.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: VillageIdiot
Joined
26 November 2018
Messages
4,551
Reactions Received
12,217
Location
Irene's hands
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
This issue has been discussed before and giving my two cents, I don't think BTS should take a military exception. Many idols get tons of shit for alleged favoritism, imagine the controversy around the group for avoiding military service, esp. when the situation with NK is nowhere near safe.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
EXCUSE ME?
I am allowed to voice my opinion and have done so with the necessary praise towards BTS. Credit where credit's due. All I do is call out the hypocrisy that is often paired when it comes to BTS in the kpop scene. Or am I not allowed to do so? Should I just smile and nod?
Also, when this BTS enlistment thing got mentioned, it was literally by politicians who used BTS to gain votes.
I have not downplayed the importance of BTS, but to claim BTS is the sole reason why Korea's tourism exploded is just ridiculous, which, btw, is portrayed as such in Korean media. I have never called ARMY clowns or crazy fangirls, don't put words in my mouth sweetie. We all know there are a bunch of crazy ARMY out there but they don't represent the whole fandom. Don't act as if you never said anything negative about a group or fandom.

Also here's my "not neutral" source; the UNWTO (United Nations World Tourism Organization). I used the report of 2019. I'll link it here
As you see: 7% more arrivals in Asia
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.43.14.png

Due to a strong economy worldwide.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.43.38.png


Is described in the text. We see that a lot with the World Cup in football or the Olympic Games, IF the host country shows a good image. You can literally check this for yourself: look at the numbers of the host country of the year. You'll see more arrivals in most cases. Not all. Brazil had a bad image thus didn't have a lot of new visitors but still a bit more than usual.
Literally in the text. Do I need to say more?
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.44.34.png


AGAIN, literally in the report.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 21.44.53.png




For this one, I don't think you'll understand Dutch so I found other "biased" sources. I'll just show you some to prove the raise of business tourism for SK
First is the KTO aka Korea Tourism Organization. Here
When we look at "Purpose", we can see that the last few years, there's been a growth for "Business". We do see some losses as well but that happens with every purpose and every country, especially when you look at growths per month. Of course, you already knew this because you too have spent 2 full years of your life researching and interpreting numbers in the tourism industry (Ugh SPSS is such a pain in the butt am I right?)

For a second biased source, I'll refer to this article here. There's one thing that is very important for this biased argument

Of course, you as a fellow travel professional already know that MICE stands for Meetings, Incentives, Conventions & Exhibitions and thus know that this is a part of business tourism


I will refer to this article that was written based on the numbers of the KTO (the source we mentioned above). Here. Korea was the 3rd most visited country in the WORLD with the purpose "Medical and wellness tourism". The reasons they go to SK for medical tourism according to the survey: "excellent skills of medical workers (43.2 percent), up-to-date medical equipment and facility (33.1 percent), medical institutions’ reliability (32.8 percent)".

I also included something from a powerpoint from a guest lecture. As you see, like I mentioned, Kpop does contribute to their tourism, but not as big as the media makes it out to be. This is not all tourism, just different purposes in "Leisure tourism"

So there's no lie here either.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 22.02.32.png


Here's another bonus: this chart shows that tourist arrivals have only grown since the years, with a few exceptions. Korean tourism has grown even before BTS existed.
Schermafbeelding 2020-09-01 om 22.11.49.png
I am just going to answer to you about the facts:

1. You did call ARMY clowns. I remember in which thread. I am sure about that.

2. I never claimed that BTS impact on economy was limited to tourism and same for the person who wants to submit the bill.





3. Who claim in this thread that BTS is the only reason why tourism is growing ? I didn’t even try to argue or discuss with you about this aspect because you came with receipts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VillageIdiot

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
I am just going to answer to you about the facts:

1. You did call ARMY clowns. I remember in which thread. I am sure about that.

2. I never claimed that BTS impact on economy was limited to tourism and same for the person who wants to submit the bill.





3. Who claim in this thread that BTS is the only reason why tourism is growing ? I didn’t even try to argue or discuss with you about this aspect because you came with receipts.
1. I searched and didn't find that word anywhere written by me. And if I did, it was never my intention to call out a full fandom. I usually write "the deluded part of the fandom" but I if I forgot once, I want to make it clear that it is not my intention to direct it to a whole fandom. Like I referred in my reply, we all call out fandoms. We don't mean all fans in that group but just generalize. Mea culpa. I will make sure to always write that I refer to the delulu's in the future so it won't be misinterpreted.
2. The tweet says that he was appointed by the minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism, not only tourism, yes, BUT don't forget that there are numerous articles in kpop that have claimed BTS are responsible for Tourism and hence that's why they don't want them to enlist. Yes, it's only one of the arguments as to why they want that bill, which I showed. I only disproved one of the arguments, not all them. I think it should've been clear that I only talk about the tourism aspect of this argument. Since he was appointed by a minister that deals with Tourism, I felt that it was fit to bring up this conversation.
3. You say you didn't try to argue with my receipts yet you write that my arguments aren't "neutral at all". I showed you official or respected sources to show that my arguments were neutral (again, for tourism only). So these arguments aren't my opinions but written in reports, articles etc. I think this is neutral enough.
Like I said, yes, I do point out hypocrisy when BTS is mentioned, which you might not like, but I always make sure to give them the credit they deserve. They are the biggest boy band rn and they did help future groups and kpop as a whole, but there have groups long before them who did so too and people act as if they didn't do anything. BTS deserves their credit but so do other (older) groups. I give credit where credit's due. I might have unstained them because I don't like their recent music, but their older music brought me joy and still does. I'm an ex-fan but I still respect their work, worry about their health and have respect for them and as a kpop fan in general, I am proud of what they did for the kpop scene.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VillageIdiot
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
1. I searched and didn't find that word anywhere written by me. And if I did, it was never my intention to call out a full fandom. I usually write "the deluded part of the fandom" but I if I forgot once, I want to make it clear that it is not my intention to direct it to a whole fandom. Like I referred in my reply, we all call out fandoms. We don't mean all fans in that group but just generalize. Mea culpa. I will make sure to always write that I refer to the delulu's in the future so it won't be misinterpreted.
2. The tweet says that he was appointed by the minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism, not only tourism, yes, BUT don't forget that there are numerous articles in kpop that have claimed BTS are responsible for Tourism and hence that's why they don't want them to enlist. Yes, it's only one of the arguments as to why they want that bill, which I showed. I only disproved one of the arguments, not all them. I think it should've been clear that I only talk about the tourism aspect of this argument. Since he was appointed by a minister that deals with Tourism, I felt that it was fit to bring up this conversation.
3. You say you didn't try to argue with my receipts yet you write that my arguments aren't "neutral at all". I showed you official or respected sources to show that my arguments were neutral (again, for tourism only). So these arguments aren't my opinions but written in reports, articles etc. I think this is neutral enough.
Like I said, yes, I do point out hypocrisy when BTS is mentioned, which you might not like, but I always make sure to give them the credit they deserve. They are the biggest boy band rn and they did help future groups and kpop as a whole, but there have groups long before them who did so too and people act as if they didn't do anything. BTS deserves their credit but so do other (older) groups. I give credit where credit's due. I might have unstained them because I don't like their recent music, but their older music brought me joy and still does. I'm an ex-fan but I still respect their work, worry about their health and have respect for them and as a kpop fan in general, I am proud of what they did for the kpop scene.
1. Mea culpa too. My words were rude in my first post.

2. Thank for the precision. I guess that someone had to take in charge the recommendation. In one of the studies that I read about the economical impact of their concerts, tourism, industry and culture were mentioned. The article about the recommendation emphasizes more the cultural aspect than tourism.

3. It was more about your tone that the arguments themselves. I think that I misunderstood you.

I agree with you. the Hallyu wave is not only due to BTS. It was not what I was trying to say. I can be defensive but I am far from thinking that BTS should be exempted of all criticism.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VillageIdiot

maruberry

🌈✨ FREE HUGS ✨🌈
.
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
13,505
Reactions Received
41,701
Location
Estonia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
514
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
He/They
Ship
Wreck
Internet will break if that happens.

I think they should consider to exempt any boy groups/singers, if they want to do it that much.
That wouldn't help, then the koreans who AREN'T idol fans would start fuming and want exempt for ppl like actors and once it comes to that well..... the line is very hard to draw.

not to mention, do we give exempt to ALL idols or just the popular ones? And how do we decide who is popular enough to be exempt?
 

jasque

Antifragile
.
.
Joined
29 August 2018
Messages
11,564
Reactions Received
42,959
Location
Brasil
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
18,971
Fandom
Chahee Lovers
Gender
Male
That wouldn't help, then the koreans who AREN'T idol fans would start fuming and want exempt for ppl like actors and once it comes to that well..... the line is very hard to draw.

not to mention, do we give exempt to ALL idols or just the popular ones? And how do we decide who is popular enough to be exempt?
True, that'd be problematic...

We focus on the idol industry, but Korea has a huge number of artists in general.
 

LeeHoseok

ᵀᴴᴬᵀ Monbebe/WENEE
.
Joined
13 November 2018
Messages
2,799
Reactions Received
6,351
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
10,202
Fandom
Weneebebe
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
Any
If BTS were to be exempted (which won't happen, fwiw) they would be hit with an avalanche of hate. It's seen as a duty to serve, something to be proud of. Idols with exemptions for health haven't been spared hate, even if they worked in public service for their enlistment. Also, look at how GD's service has been reported on, with all the accusations of special treatment in regards to his ankle and time off. If BTS were given a pass, what would be the metric at which other idols, singers, entertainers would be exempt? Set the bar too high and it'd be seen as favoritism and unobtainable. Set the bar too low and there will be outrage over the sheer number of people allowed to skip their service.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread