Controversial? 2018- who rose, who flopped, who stagnated (1 Viewer)

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
So this might be nice... or at least interesting to talk about. What kpop acts do you think delivered and rose in 2018? What kpop acts stagnated? And who do you think just dropped the ball and flopped?

I think I might get murdered over this somewhere else, so let's see how this goes :joysip:


My opinions:

1. Blackpink

Rose. I think BP made 2018 their bitch. Sure they could have done more (in terms of putting up more music), but what they delivered was quality stuff. D4 blew minds and quickly became most watched kpop gg mv, now most watched kpop group mv. Blackpink finally put out that album everybody and their grandma was roasting YG over, and while only having 4 songs, it did great. It was awesome and did deliver that album promise. Not even that, but Jennie put up solo and although being bit awkward on stage, she . BP did stay on news through the year making headlines and they rose in popularity lot more than people expected. So both quality and popularity rose, what a treat. :dab:

2. BTS

Rose? Stagnated.?Although BTS did some great things in 2018 that were just mindblowing like that UN speech, how would have thought kpop group would do that one of these days.. it's kinda that musically they stagnated. Lot of people did not warm up to Fake Love nor Idol, they were popular sure, but lot of people also disliked them and well for reason, Fake Love is bit boring and Idol is just noisy. Most quality stuff in that album were their joke songs Anpanman and Ddangg, Anpanman seeming to be quite universally loved when Ddangg getting mixed opinion and tbh I'm only mentioning it cause I like it. Quality has stagnated, popularity has risen. Eh, BTS please focus more on music quality. :llama_tea:

3. Twice

Stagnated
. Twice did good number wise this year as always, but lot of that doing good happened in Japan and only japanese care about that. Kpop fans don't give f about Japan. JYP should be careful and stop having those yen signs on their eyes, what you get in Japan for money that's what you will lose in popularity and prestige. Just look at 2PM, despite them being the group that have kept JYP financially float before Twice no new kpop fan even knew they existed, they lost all popularity they had in their beginning years. Music-wise Twice did nth special this year, Yes and Yes was fine song, What is love was popular for some reason I don't understand (mv was good though, but the song?).. but Twice just hasn't been able to live up to their early hits even now, TT and Cheer Up just float in their own stratorsphere, all lonely. Better luck next year, Twicu 🍞

4. Momoland

Rose. Good god where did they come from? Momoland was the controversy of the year, but also the loved controversy. They came hard with two songs that are pretty much remixes of each other and everybody complained, but also sucked it up and listened them. These girls really came from nth and BAAM. I seriously though Bboom bboom was their debut, since I hadn't even heard about them before that. Everyone knows Momoland slayed this year despite stupid year end shows being basic and not giving these bloomers anything they deserved. Only question now is- will they able to keep it up without repeating Bboom bboom again, since I don't think people will stomach third remix of the same song (and dance moves). Let's pray these girls won't be one hit (+ one remix) wonders. :sanapray:

5. G-IDLE

Rose. Well these girls literally came out of nowhere since they just debuted. I don't think the rising of these girls have been crazy really, they are simply rookie group that has good and strong concept, music that fits that, no gimmicks or anything just good group and good releases. The K/DA collab with League of Legends was biggest surprise from these girls that really showed Cube despite as shitty company they have been still has some sweet connections they know how to use. Tbh this kind of success is probably lot better than what Momoland got since G-IDLE has better changes keeping it up, it's more sustainable. Good going girls :llama_thug:


I don't think I payed much attention what others were doing this year and how well they were doing it so that's probably it for me ^^
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I don't want to say much but iKON rose in my opinion too. They really made 2018 their own and got awards no other idol before them got.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Was my love (biasness) towards Blackpink showing? I think it was :llama_blush:
I do agree with what you said. Blackpink has been constantly rising and I think that this trend will go on for years.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't want to say much but iKON rose in my opinion too. They really made 2018 their own and got awards no other idol before them got.
Oh.. Ikon.. how i forgot them xd They were most succesful group in Korea for sure. I don't think their success showed as much as international popularity, more people become aware of them and recognized they have great songs, but I don't think they gained lot of fandom. Music quality from them 2018 was top notch stuff though. I'm bit worried on how they will manage to keep it up, since I feel like they got lot of popularity, but more than is their hmm level- they didn't as group to rose to level of their songs popularity so it's likely they will fall a bit. That doesn't mean they will flop though.
 

Sourcekeeper

Tech Support
.
.
.
Joined
25 August 2018
Messages
6,830
Reactions Received
28,465
Location
YG Entertainment
Website
kpopsource.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
26,616
Fandom
MONSTIEZ
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She / Her / Hers
With blackpink selling out tickets on their world tour, YG will definitely promote blackpink more as they now have the potential to become YG's gold mine.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Oh.. Ikon.. how i forgot them xd They were most succesful group in Korea for sure. I don't think their success showed as much as international popularity, more people become aware of them and recognized they have great songs, but I don't think they gained lot of fandom. Music quality from them 2018 was top notch stuff though. I'm bit worried on how they will manage to keep it up, since I feel like they got lot of popularity, but more than is their hmm level- they didn't as group to rose to level of their songs popularity so it's likely they will fall a bit. That doesn't mean they will flop though.
Hanbin has plans for iKON. And what's funny is that all the 2018 releases from iKON were made in 2016-2017. So imagine how th music he wrote in 2018 will sound like.
But yes, the got alot of attention form the public and even now they recieved attention due to ISAC. If YG is smart he would manage them way better and let them actually promote their new releases [last year only LS was promoted, the other releases got almost no promo due to the boys bein on multiple tours that are still on-going].
 

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
GFriend rose from the under-performance that was 2017. They had one of the best selling GG songs last year with TFTMN so I think they definitely showed everyone they're still in the game, despite the belief that they declined ten fold.
I don't want to say much but iKON rose in my opinion too. They really made 2018 their own and got awards no other idol before them got.
I think iKON rose and fell at the same time in 2018. They had the best selling song in Korea, true. But both their comebacks after such a big song under-performed greatly. Even their recent comeback didn't do all that well. However, I will say that the thing with YG groups is, you never know when they're gonna come out with another big hit so it's hard to pin point a rise and fall for them. A flop today, a national hit tomorrow. YG groups are that powerful in Korea.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
GFriend rose from the under-performance that was 2017. They had one of the best selling GG songs last year with TFTMN so I think they definitely showed everyone they're still in the game, despite the belief that they declined ten fold.

I think iKON rose and fell at the same time in 2018. They had the best selling song in Korea, true. But both their comebacks after such a big song under-performed greatly. Even their recent comeback didn't do all that well. However, I will say that the thing with YG groups is, you never know when they're gonna come out with another big hit so it's hard to pin point a rise and fall for them. A flop today, a national hit tomorrow. YG groups are that powerful in Korea.
kinda agree. tough i‘m ok wasn’t even a real comeback. It was only performed on concerts, so no promo there. It mostly was just to finish up the era of new kids. The gp mostly didn’t even know of the release. I remember ikonics talking about this back when the album was released.
But yes. You can never predict YG groups. It‘s quite weird how different the reaction of the gp can be.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkyoda47

Darkyoda47

♡ Jessica's Slave ♡
.
Joined
18 November 2018
Messages
10,716
Reactions Received
52,564
Location
Buddy Hole
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
279
Fandom
Golden Star
Gender
Male
Ship
kinda agree. tough i‘m ok wasn’t even a real comeback. It was only performed on concerts, so no promo there. It mostly was just to finish up the era of new kids. The gp mostly didn’t even know of the release. I remember ikonics talking about this back when the album was released.
But yes. You can never predict YG groups. It‘s quite weird how different the reaction of the gp can be.
I've noticed that YG is highly respected in Korea. They really built up their brand to the highest standard there. That company may manage their artist very flop but God do they know how market themselves as well. That's why I believe that YG artists can never truly decline either.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I've noticed that YG is highly respected in Korea. They really built up their brand to the highest standard there. That company may manage their artist very flop but God do they know how market themselves as well. That's why I believe that YG artists can never truly decline either.
true. I definitely agree with this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darkyoda47

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread