Culture appropration is stupid (1 Viewer)

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I totally agree. He made some pretty valid points.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
Tho I do understand what culture appropriation is when you take something from another culture and claim it's yours... but cancelling people because they like dreads?? Really! so stupid imo.
I didn't even know hoop earings are a no-go now :wimwim: that's just insane
 
Last edited:

VillageIdiot

It's Time To Break Free Of The Blues
.
.
Joined
8 November 2018
Messages
19,193
Reactions Received
60,789
Location
Tokki Topia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
19,207
Fandom
Toxic
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her/Drama Kween
Ship
Sometimes I really think y'all be hunting for any black person to validate opinions you already had because you think people won't challenge it
That's all I'm contributing to this thread
 
Joined
13 March 2019
Messages
4,283
Reactions Received
11,073
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Sometimes I really think y'all be hunting for any black person to validate opinions you already had because you think people won't challenge it
That's all I'm contributing to this thread
I dont know if this guy is a black or not tho it's my first time checking his channel... it was recommend to me by YouTube not like I was digging for a black YouTuber to validate and form my opinions.. And that's not the point of this thread/video I just wanted to share my opinion through it... :lisalaugh:
 
Last edited:

potato

☆ Stan Yolkie ☆
.
Joined
22 May 2019
Messages
5,913
Reactions Received
28,273
Location
Under the Earth
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Moa
Ship
I didn't even know hoop earings are a no-go now :wimwim: that's just insane
Hoop earings aren't only part of African culture either :wimwim:

Tbh, I've never understood cultural appropriation as well. I feel like people waste time arguing over cultures than actually discovering different cultures. The world is so diverse and there are so many different countries and cultures out there, yet people are aguing over someone wearing braids.

I agree that braids are a huge part of African culture and many people today are being ostracised for wearing these braids to work whereas it's seen as a 'fashion statement' for others. I think that is a problem. But I don't think that's cultural appropriation. I though cultural appropriation meant taking a part of someone else's culture as your own. People aren't claiming that that they invented braids at all.

I feel like the meaning is so skewed that people don't even understand what it means anymore. I don't fully understand myself but people are using it as a means to target people and I think that is very wrong.
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,239
Reactions Received
76,669
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,772
Ship
Wreck
I get the basis of cultural appropriation as meaning claiming someone elses culture as part of your own instead however like most things I do think people have lost the roots of it because they don't truly understand it themselves and instead it has become twisted and warped into something that people use to attack others even though they are showing no disrespect to the culture that they are using something from.

I do not agree with the notion though that in order for it to be okay for me to use something from a culture I have to know the long history behind it as I think it's perfectly fine for one thing to be sacred to one culture and used differently in another culture without devaluing it as take us using oppa since we use it as a joke or a way to bash obsessed fangirls while in Korea it's a respectful way to address an older male if you're a female and our way of using it has no effect on Korea using it that way.

I think the only time it's not okay for someone to use something from another culture is when that person is explicitly bashing people who made that same culture since then that does just cross in the line of you just being racist.
 

RainbowDevil

Lucifers Favorite Son
.
Joined
11 November 2018
Messages
5,597
Reactions Received
18,451
Location
Serbia
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
-52
Fandom
Multi-king
Gender
Male
Ship
If I wear/do/show smn that may or may not be from another culture I have all the right to do so as long as I am not showing it off as my own culture or as something i personally made/did and no one else.

It's like telling every person in the worl that has a tattoo that they have to "take it off" cause it's originally from Egypt :taeminface:
And as someone mentioned already... I sure as hell am not gonna stop eating foreign foods cause I'm not a foreigner... :jisoosmh:
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I think there is some form of cultural appropriation, but people have across history been interested and influenced by foreign cultures. Just think of chefs and how often you see chef specializing in cuisine that isn't from their own culture. I only find issue if it's done mockingly or they are benefitting from it in expense of people whose culture sth is from (for example Kim Kardiashian trying to trademark "kimono").
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
tempted to get dreads just to spite annoying people but :yolk: too bad id look ugly
 
  • Angry
Reactions: Hajima
Joined
15 August 2019
Messages
246
Reactions Received
866
Location
USA
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
I feel similarly but I would never want to hurt any feelings and feelings are definently hurt when "cultural appropriation" occurs. I just try to stay out of the whole argumemt the best I can. At the end of the day it isn't my culture and as much as I think "cultural appropriation is bullshit I have no right to tell people to not be offended over something. As long as its a respectful display of someone elses culture I see no problem in it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji and SaviorITZY
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
16,036
Reactions Received
44,289
Location
the female gaze
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
124
Fandom
luoshifemy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
luo/yunxi
Ship
  • Like
Reactions: SaviorITZY
Joined
6 September 2018
Messages
1,873
Reactions Received
6,954
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I feel similarly but I would never want to hurt any feelings and feelings are definently hurt when "cultural appropriation" occurs. I just try to stay out of the whole argumemt the best I can. At the end of the day it isn't my culture and as much as I think "cultural appropriation is bullshit I have no right to tell people to not be offended over something. As long as its a respectful display of someone elses culture I see no problem in it.
Wow... the flavor. Can we be moots?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread