I tried to include less of spoilers in this one, so mostly the story section has spoilers as it summarizes the story and my feelings towards it.
Background
Darth Maul- Son of Dathomil continues to story of Darth Maul- Death Sentence (that I reviewed here), but introduces noticable time jump between the stories. The writers and artist have changed, but tbh there isn’t noticeable difference in the storytelling and art. We are also in the same period, the timeline after Phantom Menace and during prequel movies. For some unexplained reason Maul doesn’t have cyborg legs anymore and his brother got killed off-screen, but the comic really doesn’t go to explain either of those things which can be bit confusing.
We also get off-screen explanation that Maul is now leading criminal syndicate, which includes some mandalorians and other aliens I don’t rly know of and didn’t feel like they rly mattered other than as cannon fodder.
Story shortly (MAJOR SPOILERS)
This time the comic starts with Darth Maul captured by his former master, Darth Sidonius. Maul finds out that Sidonius has taken new apprentice to replace him, Dooku. He isn’t prisoned multiple pages though as he quickly gets saved by Mandalorian allies and they have epic escape with zip line!
Dooku sents Darth Grievous after Maul. Maul has already gathered his troops though, so battle between Grievous droids and Maul’s mandalorian Black Sun’s ensues. However Maul’s troops get overnumbered and he has to run after losing part of his army.
There is bigger things in motion here, since we found out that both Sidonius and Nightmother Talzin are trying to use Maul to lure each other out so both of them can end the other. We quickly have our another round of battles, where Maul after again sacrificing tons of his allies manages to gain upper hand and captures not only Grievous, but also Dooku.
scheming
Of course we have to have some jedis meddling, so again Obiwan makes his appearance. Which makes it funny, is that yet again the jedi he came with gets killed- this really keeps happening a lot xd If I were jedi, i’d want to avoid getting teamed up with Obiwan!
another jedi bites the dust
So Nightmother appears again, now telling Dooku that Maul is her son (but i have no idea if it still means biological or not) and how they were betrayed by Sidonius. Since the jedis came to interrupt them, Maul makes quick alliance with Dooku. This alliance gets quickly betrayed though, but bit surpringly by Maul who just planned to use Dooku to resurrect Nightmother.
However, this all has went according to Sidoniuses keikaku, as he's now able to locate Nightmother. Wizard battle ensues, but Sidonius too strong and Nightmother dies while Maul escapes. The story pretty much ends there, with Sidoniuses plan succeeding and Maul’s ending in epic fail. Which is a bit downer for those who were reading this for Maul and not for Sidonius and Dooku.
wizard battle
Review
Compared to previous comic of Darth Maul, I feel like this one has lot more characters and different settings as everything doesn’t happen on one planet. But that also means that there is no time to build on most of the characters and lot of them remain as I said, cannon fodder. That’s kinda shame for me, as you got lot of characters with their own motivations and bit of character building in the previous comic when in this one there isn’t rly that- mostly you get 4 main players who play some kind of role + maybe 2 minor roles and that’s the characters that somewhat matter to the story rest don’t.
The story is pretty much about two plans with same outcome- both Sidonius and Nightmother are using their pawns, Dooku and Maul, to lure each other out so that they can end their feud. And Maul’s poor alliance is just being used as canon fodder. Tbh, I was quite interested at some of the Mandalorian soldiers that appeared, and seemed to have this 100% loyalty and confidence in Maul, I would have liked to get more insight in that.
While there was more things happening in this one, I didn’t rly care for most of the characters as the side characters weren’t as developed at all and everytime there was cool Mandalorian soldier, I didn’t know if the one in next scene was them or not since all of them had similar armor. But I definitely wanted more of them! Tbh, just give me a Mandalorian story at this point, maybe I should read comic about them next if I can find one!
On the bonus side, the small bits of humor there was, was fun.
Overall I would give this one 5,5/10, it’s ok read but nothing too impressive. It clearly ties to larger story, but doesn’t work that well on it’s own.
To end this one off, have cute baby Maul!
Background
Darth Maul- Son of Dathomil continues to story of Darth Maul- Death Sentence (that I reviewed here), but introduces noticable time jump between the stories. The writers and artist have changed, but tbh there isn’t noticeable difference in the storytelling and art. We are also in the same period, the timeline after Phantom Menace and during prequel movies. For some unexplained reason Maul doesn’t have cyborg legs anymore and his brother got killed off-screen, but the comic really doesn’t go to explain either of those things which can be bit confusing.
We also get off-screen explanation that Maul is now leading criminal syndicate, which includes some mandalorians and other aliens I don’t rly know of and didn’t feel like they rly mattered other than as cannon fodder.
Story shortly (MAJOR SPOILERS)
This time the comic starts with Darth Maul captured by his former master, Darth Sidonius. Maul finds out that Sidonius has taken new apprentice to replace him, Dooku. He isn’t prisoned multiple pages though as he quickly gets saved by Mandalorian allies and they have epic escape with zip line!
Dooku sents Darth Grievous after Maul. Maul has already gathered his troops though, so battle between Grievous droids and Maul’s mandalorian Black Sun’s ensues. However Maul’s troops get overnumbered and he has to run after losing part of his army.
There is bigger things in motion here, since we found out that both Sidonius and Nightmother Talzin are trying to use Maul to lure each other out so both of them can end the other. We quickly have our another round of battles, where Maul after again sacrificing tons of his allies manages to gain upper hand and captures not only Grievous, but also Dooku.
scheming
Of course we have to have some jedis meddling, so again Obiwan makes his appearance. Which makes it funny, is that yet again the jedi he came with gets killed- this really keeps happening a lot xd If I were jedi, i’d want to avoid getting teamed up with Obiwan!
another jedi bites the dust
So Nightmother appears again, now telling Dooku that Maul is her son (but i have no idea if it still means biological or not) and how they were betrayed by Sidonius. Since the jedis came to interrupt them, Maul makes quick alliance with Dooku. This alliance gets quickly betrayed though, but bit surpringly by Maul who just planned to use Dooku to resurrect Nightmother.
However, this all has went according to Sidoniuses keikaku, as he's now able to locate Nightmother. Wizard battle ensues, but Sidonius too strong and Nightmother dies while Maul escapes. The story pretty much ends there, with Sidoniuses plan succeeding and Maul’s ending in epic fail. Which is a bit downer for those who were reading this for Maul and not for Sidonius and Dooku.
wizard battle
Review
Compared to previous comic of Darth Maul, I feel like this one has lot more characters and different settings as everything doesn’t happen on one planet. But that also means that there is no time to build on most of the characters and lot of them remain as I said, cannon fodder. That’s kinda shame for me, as you got lot of characters with their own motivations and bit of character building in the previous comic when in this one there isn’t rly that- mostly you get 4 main players who play some kind of role + maybe 2 minor roles and that’s the characters that somewhat matter to the story rest don’t.
The story is pretty much about two plans with same outcome- both Sidonius and Nightmother are using their pawns, Dooku and Maul, to lure each other out so that they can end their feud. And Maul’s poor alliance is just being used as canon fodder. Tbh, I was quite interested at some of the Mandalorian soldiers that appeared, and seemed to have this 100% loyalty and confidence in Maul, I would have liked to get more insight in that.
While there was more things happening in this one, I didn’t rly care for most of the characters as the side characters weren’t as developed at all and everytime there was cool Mandalorian soldier, I didn’t know if the one in next scene was them or not since all of them had similar armor. But I definitely wanted more of them! Tbh, just give me a Mandalorian story at this point, maybe I should read comic about them next if I can find one!
On the bonus side, the small bits of humor there was, was fun.
Overall I would give this one 5,5/10, it’s ok read but nothing too impressive. It clearly ties to larger story, but doesn’t work that well on it’s own.
To end this one off, have cute baby Maul!