Disruptive foreigners in Japan (1 Viewer)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
Okay, so this got me thinking about the Tokyo Olympics and how I think there will be a lot more of this type of thing happening during the Olympics.
Here are a few recent videos of what I mean:





What do you all think of this? Does this make all foreigners look bad and the Japanese will eventually not become as welcoming?
I would like to hear your thoughts.
 

Belgizen

Doyoung's wifey
.
Joined
5 November 2018
Messages
12,760
Reactions Received
31,598
Location
Doyoung's Bed
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
46,298
Fandom
NCTzen
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
My thoughts? People should be respectful, especially when you are visiting another country.
These days sustainable tourism is very important in the travel business (heck me and every tourism student in the world gets brainwashed by this).
People, Planet, Profit.
It's sad that people like these will affect the locals' perception of tourists and tourism, which will eventually possibly ruin the atmosphere for other tourists who do put effort into their travels and try to learn.

My tips for sustainable tourism when you go on a holiday? Stay in local hotels (not a big chain hotel), eat locally, buy locally made souvenirs, try to blend in with the locals (local tour guides can help with this and tell you what is acceptable and what is not), try to stay in one place for as long as you can if you do a trip in a country
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,193
Reactions Received
76,667
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,512
Ship
Wreck
I think it does make them look bad but some people don't wanna bother learning a bit about a country before visiting it which you should do really so you know how to act and if you don't like how they want you to act then you can not go.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
honestly stuff like that happen in every country which tourists like to visit. It‘s unfortunate that respect and a general feeling of needing to learn something about the country you are visiting seems to get lost.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't personally find it as big of deal what comes to these instances. I mean.. every place that has lot of tourist has tourist that behave badly. Either due to ignorance and just not knowing better- or cause they are rude and selfish jerks who think they are entitled to act that way. It is annoying, but I don't think Japan is suffering from this anymore than any other place? :dubuthink:
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
honestly stuff like that happen in every country which tourists like to visit. It‘s unfortunate that respect and a general feeling of needing to learn something about the country you are visiting seems to get lost.
I know it does but since the Tokyo Olympics are coming up, this is relevant to Japan only.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I don't personally find it as big of deal what comes to these instances. I mean.. every place that has lot of tourist has tourist that behave badly. Either due to ignorance and just not knowing better- or cause they are rude and selfish jerks who think they are entitled to act that way. It is annoying, but I don't think Japan is suffering from this anymore than any other place? :dubuthink:
Obviously, people didn't read my opening post. Since the Japanese Olympics are coming up, my questions are referred to Japan only.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Obviously, people didn't read my opening post. Since the Japanese Olympics are coming up, my questions are referred to Japan only.
I did read it. I just thought it's not rly worse than elsewhere, there is always rude tourists that go overboard :jisoosmh:
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I did read it. I just thought it's not rly worse than elsewhere, there is always rude tourists that go overboard :jisoosmh:
I know that lol but I was specifically talking about Japan since they have the Olympics coming up.
I wanted to know what people's thoughts were on this situation and how it affects the Olympics due to cultural differences, do you think it will get much worse, etc.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I know that lol but I was specifically talking about Japan since they have the Olympics coming up.
I wanted to know what people's thoughts were on this situation and how it affects the Olympics due to cultural differences, do you think it will get much worse, etc.
Well i think Olympics in general can be pretty problematic and harsh for people living close by. In Brazil as well as Beijing tons of people's homes were destroyed in order to make space for stadion. So there might be issues that Japanese people will have beyond rude tourists, though probably not as bad.

I can see how lot of foreigners flooding the areas can cause discord between them and japanese people. I think most japanese won't hold it against all foreigners though and just take them as olympic tourists, similarly as everyone knows football fans are crazy and should be stayed away from ^^; But I guess depending what kind of stuff happens, there might be disdain towards tourist in general even after it.
 

dark_tranquility

YOᑌ ᗪIᗪᑎ'T ᗷᗴTᖇᗩY ᗰᗴ, YOᑌ ᗷᗴTᖇᗩYᗴᗪ YOᑌᖇSᗴᒪᖴ
.
.
Joined
10 September 2019
Messages
62,057
Reactions Received
52,508
Location
Europe and Asia
Website
www.ancestry.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
201,062
Fandom
𝔹𝕃𝕀ℕ𝕂
Gender
Male
Pronouns
Eurasian
Well I've never been overseas, but I would genuinely try to know about a place, before visiting.
In another country or my own country. Doesn't matter. Just taking the time to do the research and actually pay attention to all the details about one's culture is vital etiquette. So many folks mess that up....
 
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
719
Reactions Received
6,480
Location
Buddy Hole @ Zoom
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
I was going to say this happens more frequently in Japan than people realize :wimwim:; My fellow study abroad mates were wild and did a lot of stuff I couldn't get over
 
  • Like
Reactions: spicy_illusion
Joined
30 March 2019
Messages
5,067
Reactions Received
15,900
Location
𝚂𝚞𝚐𝚊'𝚜 𝚁𝚊𝚙𝚜 🤍
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
Squoosh ♡
Gender
Non-Binary
Pronouns
they / them
Ship
Wreck
People need to learn the country's culture and etiquette before visiting. We've had plenty of disrespectful foreigners in Korea. But we've also had respectful ones. The respectful ones obviously are foreigners, but they know how to be respectful and they accept it when people correct them.

The man in the last video was very disrespectful. It may seem less hostile than the other two, but it still was highly disrespectful.
 
  • Like
Reactions: spicy_illusion

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread