ofc it depends on the doctor and I'll always give everyone a chance, but I have to admit I've had horrible experiences with them myself and also, so-called doctors have ruined my brother's life and my family beyond repair... nobody will ever take responsibility for that and nothing can be done because it's just too late.. so yeah, it's difficult for me. I understand they are human too and everyone makes mistakes but when you choose this profession yet you do not care about people, it's just upsetting for me...
I do generally trust doctors but nurses and support staff are the ones who make or break the experience for me. A good nurse with bedside manners can make up for a cold doctor
Personally, not really. I have a really rare form of epilepsy and my seizures present themselves in atypical ways so a lot of the time when I have to go to the hospital, they don't actually believe me although it's gotten A LOT better than it used to be. People literally used to accuse my mum of having Muchausen syndrome and making it all up for attention! There has been a couple of times when I've had to get EEG scans just to prove that I was actually having a seizure and the doctors had to apologise to my parents afterwards.
On one of those occasions the doctor apologised to my mum for not believing her but said that I must've been misdiagnosed because she'd never seen an epilepsy patient like me before. She told my parents that I might have a degenerative brain disorder that was gonna get worse and worse and that if she was right, I probably wouldn't live past six. She then sent me to another hospital that had better equipment for some tests and brain scans and they pretty much confirmed that my original diagnosis was completely right and that doctor was basically just uneducated about the type of epilepsy that I have!
I do. However, I have to acknowledge that some. of the new generation of doctors have poor communication and interpersonal skills. Medical schools (at least where I’m from) do not emphasize bedside manners and empathy. The premeds I’ve met are rather bland and only care about prestige instead of helping others achieve a better quality of life.
It depends on the doctor actually. I've been to doctors so that I could start getting some help for my anxiety issues, but some of them really did not understand what I was dealing with. I even had one doctor do some kind of test for my heart (I don't remember what it's called) because she thought there was a possibility that I was getting anxiety because of my heart might have been beating faster than normal. It was weird to me. I don't remember if that's exactly what she thought it was, but she wanted to rule out a heart issue I guess.
I had another doctor who didn't believe that my condition (agoraphobia) was a "real" medical issue. Thankfully he started to understand it better.
I feel pretty similarly OP, with new doctor I will give them a chance and won't automatically doubt them, but I have had quite many bad experiences. Some of them include:
Putting spoiler cause some of these are bit of horror stories I guess, especially last one xd
1) Doctor insisting there is no way I have broken arm even though I couldn't lift my arm at all -> week after i went to get second opinion cause my arm was still useless and painful, they took xray and my arm bone between shoulder and elbow was cleanly broken in half. I could have injured myself further trying to use broken arm that I thought was just sprained.
2) Two nurses gossiping about me really loudly and talking shit cause I was terrified of canula. If they had asked I'd have said I got trauma as a young kid when bunch of doctors ordered my mom out of door and forced me to stay put- pretty much manhandled me- so they could put canula in and I just remember blood flowing out of my arm when they did- which might not have even happened, but then again I have that trauma.
3) Bad experience at dentist, I got my tooth removed, but the doctor didnt believe me that the local anaesthesia wasn't working (later found out cause there was puss under the teeth, it was in really bad condition) and he just shutted me up and broke the tooth in half trying to remove it. And I was screaming which caused the nurse to get freaked out and she stabbed my tongue with salt solution, thank god that wasn't dangerous even if it hurted even more ^^; This has caused me to have trauma of dentists though and even if I'm just getting my teeth checked out these days my legs will shake tons when I'm sitting in that chair.
I think lot could have been avoided just with better communication on doctors part and actually hearing me out as patient instead of disminishing me and what i'm saying. And in general I think people disminish too much self-diagnosing, it can easily go wrong sure, but doctors aren't always more knowledgeable of all issues and you might not find right specialist for you if you don't do some research of yourself and just blindly go with whatever first doctor you go says.
For physical health? I trust most since I haven’t had bad experiences about that and most of the doctors I’ve met seem to genuinely care
The ones I go to for mental health are just tragic, how are they out here calling themselves specific doctors when they don’t care about the people they see
Not really. My family always seems to have the worst experiences with doctors and usually when we do find a doctor that wants to truly help us they always move within a year.
I understand that it's a practice and I don't hate doctors, I just think in that type of job you should at least show you care for your patient.
I haven't had a serious injury or illness, but if I did have one I would trust the doctor to tell me how to get better.
As for less serious sicknesses like the common cold, I don't even bother with checkups anymore because they always just tell me to sleep and drink hot water.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Read more about our cookie policy.