Do you prefer manga or anime? (3 Viewers)

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
.
.
Joined
2 July 2019
Messages
4,814
Reactions Received
19,142
Location
3ᑢ 273⁷
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,000
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Ship
I've only read a few mangas so far and I have a lot on my plan to read list, i've mostly only read the mangas for 3 animes that I really liked and I wanted to join their respective lil fanclubs or watch analysis videos without the risk of being spoiled. My reading experience is getting gradually better as I get more used to the format and can follow along better but I still feel a lot more hyped watching it in motion than reading it. However if I didn't read some of the mangas im reading atm i'd be left out on all the manga-only inside jokes in fanarts and also the excitement of new chapters coming out where unlike with the anime you don't get the annoying 'ha I already know whats happening in the manga' comments.

I mean I personally haven't really answered my own question yet but since i'm still new to the manga world and i'm mostly only reading stuff i've already watched the anime for I can't really come to a full conclusion, but it's fun weighing up the pros and cons lmao

What do you guys think? Do you have a preference yourself or does it depend on which story it is etc?
 
Joined
17 December 2020
Messages
166
Reactions Received
293
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
visual novels
depends on the genre. For action, shounen and the such, most of the time anime is best for me unless it's really meh or bad in comparison to the source material.
For mystery, suspense, thriller, horror, more storydriven content such as certain more mature romances/slice of life/drama's etc manga is best for me by far unless the anime is an absolute masterpiece or something.
Stuff like berzerk and stuff that sits in the middle, being both mature and dark but ocassionally more epic and action driven, could be much better as an anime if it was adapted right, but ha we already know how that went so i can't speak on that. But on the flipside there's also Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade, which is also incredibly dark and mature and the manga is amazing but the animated movie managed to make it even more incredible to the point of becoming a classic so yeah.

Overall, i think anime has by far more potential as a medium by nature (relying on many other layers of storytelling rather than just static visual) but it's not often when its quality and potential are exploited to the same extent it could reach and more often than not deserves to reach. Many times as result of limited budget or lack of competent direction but I could also say that as a result of the fact that it has many other layers of storytelling, even if it has the potential to be inherently better, it also becomes inherently more difficult to perfect as there are far more areas to cover and perfect individually and coordinate with each other. So it's pretty complicated and i also understand that lol
 
Joined
19 November 2018
Messages
4,371
Reactions Received
11,118
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
330
Fandom
ReVeluv
Gender
Female
It depends on the story.

More often than not I prefer manga, but I'll still watch the anime because I like seeing my stories brought to life.
If it's a sports story, I'm automatically going for the anime, though, lol.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: Willow and NASA

Taehyun

☾ abbacchio simp ⛧
.
Joined
21 May 2020
Messages
598
Reactions Received
1,346
Location
♡ L.O.Λ.E ☆
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
☆ MOA ♡
Gender
Male
it completely depends on if the anime was done justice from the source material

anime is easier to consume for me but reading the manga is so gratifying
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: Willow and NASA

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
.
.
Joined
2 July 2019
Messages
4,814
Reactions Received
19,142
Location
3ᑢ 273⁷
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,000
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Ship
It depends on the story.

More often than not I prefer manga, but I'll still watch the anime because I like seeing my stories brought to life.
If it's a sports story, I'm automatically going for the anime, though, lol.
Yes I think since it's easier to write a manga than it is to create a whole anime, there's probably a lot more quality manga to discover over anime as well so naturally it's probably easier to find some really great mangas than it is to find animes, i've seen a lot of people say they prefer to consume their shonen/sports in anime form though~ Of course since there's a lot of action and thats the majority of the hype as well it's more satisfying to actually see it in action too!
 
  • Like
Reactions: AmysTeri and Willow

NASA

3ᑢ273⁷
.
.
Joined
2 July 2019
Messages
4,814
Reactions Received
19,142
Location
3ᑢ 273⁷
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
1,000
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Ship
it completely depends on if the anime was done justice from the source material

anime is easier to consume for me but reading the manga is so gratifying
I totally agree with you! I find it much easier to watch anime, but I read 3 mangas for some anime I really really loved and have gained deep appreciation for the mangas too, especially since the mangas are much further than the animes it's really fun seeing how the stories have progressed, and although with manga you don't get the full satisfaction of the action scenes, I think the way manga reveals like huge twists in the story and stuff is more impactful than in anime, it's just something about how really good authors map out each page and panel to make your eyes follow and make certain things stand out and stuff like that~
 
  • Like
Reactions: Taehyun and Willow
Joined
23 May 2020
Messages
68
Reactions Received
96
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
it depends as some works are better in anime, others in manga.

however, i do read manga more because it's less time-consuming (and it's easier to find something recent that i enjoy, for example).
 
  • Like
Reactions: NASA

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread