Do you think these words are clearly related? (1 Viewer)

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,400
Reactions Received
151,414
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
The words “queso” (Spanish) and cheese (English). Of course the meanings are the same, but would you assume they definitely have the same linguistic origin?

Someone told me that they clearly are, because k is like ch and they have s and I just don’t see it. I kind of feel like they may have been incorporating the their knowledge of the German world for cheese (Käse), since I can definitely see cheese seeming clearly related to Käse, and Käse being clearly related to queso. But imo that doesn’t mean that cheese on its own is clearly related to queso because that would imply you don’t need intermediate words for it to make sense. And if you’re wondering about the validity, it is actually true that cheese and queso come from the same root. I just feel like they’ve evolved to sound quite different.
 

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,400
Reactions Received
151,414
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
do i think that? no, but whoever was responsible for these nct lyrics definitely did

1752440971974.png
That’s different though, it’s just because it’s a well known word for cheese. Another example like that would be Babymonster including “C’est la vie” in Forever, which doesn’t clearly have the same roots as “That’s life” at all. It’s just the meaning being the same. Even non Spanish speakers know queso here because some companies call nacho cheeses and things like that queso :sanapray:
 

StrayMixx

aka Chiara
.
.
Joined
12 September 2020
Messages
40,204
Reactions Received
46,876
Location
in Bang Chan's head
Website
www.tumblr.com
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
183,748
Fandom
mainly bg
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
oh, cheese and Kaese definitely, bc in German, you have ch sounding like k, and the a-umlaut has the same sound as their ee... and the last two letters are even the same. but cheese and queso, if I wasn't as good at Spanish as I am, I wouldn't have a clue

and side not: how do you type the a-umlaut? and other accented letters?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ahsoka

Ahsoka

⚡️Lightning
.
.
.
.
.
.
Joined
27 August 2018
Messages
71,400
Reactions Received
151,414
Location
That user who always changes their Un’s heart <3
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
129,603
Fandom
Lex stan
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
oh, cheese and Kaese definitely, bc in German, you have ch sounding like k, and the a-umlaut has the same sound as their ee... and the last two letters are even the same. but cheese and queso, if I wasn't as good at Spanish as I am, I wouldn't have a clue

and side not: how do you type the a-umlaut? and other accented letters?
And it’s not just about meaning, I know that cheese in French is fromage but that doesn’t mean it’s from the same linguistic root as cheese. Most words that are linguistically related actually don’t even have the same meaning, like black and blanco (white in Spanish).

For variations of Latin characters on phones (accents, umlauts, characters like ß, þ, ect) I just press and hold the base letter and it pops up with other options for that letter. Like press and hold e for é and s for ß. A lot of times it’s enabled by default on keyboards with Latin characters but if it’s not for you you may be able to turn it on in the keyboard settings of your phone.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread