Dreamcatcher: "Company was once in dilemma if they should stick to the rock sound" (1 Viewer)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I'm glad they kept the rock sound and glad they got through it. This is just a part of this interview I want to show.

Source: https://7-dreamers.com/2020/02/26/1...like-battlefield-aims-to-become-beastly-idol/

◇ We want to hear that “Dreamcatcher did Dreamcatcher”

Dreamcatcher is among the most well-defined teams in terms of musicality and concept among the currently active idol groups. They continue to present young metal tracks based on rock sounds, while their intense ‘Nightmare’ concept and world-building draws the curiosity of fans, giving them the pleasure of interpreting their story.

Asked if the well-defined image associated with ‘Dreamcatcher’ was worrying, Siyeon said “People know our concept and that we do metal, and they expect more from us because of it. Those expectations drive us to work harder.”

JIU, in a brave tone, said “There was a time when our company staff was in a dilemma, but we thought if we backtracked after continuing down one style so far, we would end up going nowhere. Mass appeal is important, but continuing to build up our style is more important. If we keep going our way, they (the public) will notice us.”

As well-defined concepts and world-building are becoming more common among idols, we asked if Dreamcatcher felt like they had contributed to this trend. The members answered with laughter. Sua said, “The trend these days definitely seems to be more about girl crush and being cool.” “I think we read the trend early on. I’m sure the public will warm up to the rock genre eventually,” she added.

JiU said, “Musicality in Idol groups will continue to get higher. Doing world-building means that they aren’t following someone else, that they are building a story of their own. So I think it’s a great development.”

Dreamcatcher has returned time and time again with new tracks and performances since 2017, refusing to take long breaks. They finally released their much-awaited studio album, and they successfully concluded their tour of such countries as Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia and Brazil. Asked what they wanted to achieve through this album, JIU answered “Beastly idols! Beastly idols that would feel at home on a safari!” causing us to laugh.

“First, we want to tour the country. Touring Korea is a sign that we as a team are popular in Korea and that the public recognizes us, so we really want to do it! I also want our album on the Billboard album chart. That would be a sign that our studio album is being recognized world-wide.” (JIU)

“The fans often say, ‘Dreamcatcher did Dreamcatcher’. I think of it positively, that our image is leaving an impression. I want to hear ‘ah, as expected of Dreamcatcher’.” (Siyeon)
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
Hmm I don’t really see how they have kept their rock sound. Their new album was a bit disappointing to me :lazypotato:
I think I'm at my top in the disappointment scale. I'm still following them; but I cannot consider myself a stan anymore. Their rock track was being called "nostalgic" which left this feeling of their rock sound to be something of the past. Their current success also doesn't help since it confirms the sound change to be a commercially sound decision.
 

Tickita

𝒜𝓃 𝒾𝓃𝓋𝒾𝓃𝒸𝒾𝒷𝓁𝑒 𝓈𝓊𝓂𝓂𝑒𝓇.
.
.
.
Joined
30 January 2020
Messages
26,480
Reactions Received
39,142
Location
We're no strangers to love.
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,434
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she, her, mrrp
"Mass appeal is important, but continuing to build up our style is more important. If we keep going our way, they (the public) will notice us."

 
Joined
16 June 2019
Messages
61,590
Reactions Received
105,389
Location
Schweiz 🇨🇭
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
41,010
Fandom
Buddy
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/her 💗💛💙
Ship
Wreck
I think I'm at my top in the disappointment scale. I'm still following them; but I cannot consider myself a stan anymore. Their rock track was being called "nostalgic" which left this feeling of their rock sound to be something of the past. Their current success also doesn't help since it confirms the sound change to be a commercially sound decision.
I agree :joshmeh:
Returning to stan NEO JAPONISM 🙄
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
...
I think I'm at my top in the disappointment scale. I'm still following them; but I cannot consider myself a stan anymore. Their rock track was being called "nostalgic" which left this feeling of their rock sound to be something of the past. Their current success also doesn't help since it confirms the sound change to be a commercially sound decision.
Is this Pink Princess?
 

Myco

Ace of Hearts
.
.
.
Joined
4 November 2018
Messages
33,247
Reactions Received
81,309
Location
Beat Interactive
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
13,036
Fandom
Choice
Gender
Male
Pronouns
He/Him
Ship
Hmm I don’t really see how they have kept their rock sound. Their new album was a bit disappointing to me :lazypotato:
I think I'm at my top in the disappointment scale. I'm still following them; but I cannot consider myself a stan anymore. Their rock track was being called "nostalgic" which left this feeling of their rock sound to be something of the past. Their current success also doesn't help since it confirms the sound change to be a commercially sound decision.
I feel like it's impossible for a Group to keep to one sound unless you are BTS/Twice level popularity. You want your group to stay for long term and if you can't get any money to improve your production quality (and everything besides that, styling etc.) as a company you will just stay on the same level all the time and will lose fans and in turn money. Dreamcatcher have to appeal to more people than their own fandom (which is the same for many many groups who started out with a significant own sound). Yeah they changed their tune to be more general likable for people who might not like their pure rock style but they are still trying to find a way to include it without complete letting it go.
 
Joined
20 November 2018
Messages
65,862
Reactions Received
77,040
Location
Heaven
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
53,448
I'm still looking forward to it, and it may change things a little bit.
To expand on this; I may add that my current profile/username changes reflect my current stan status. My top bias group is not Dreamcatcher since some months ago; but now my ult bias also changed and it's not JiU anymore. She's still my bias within Dreamcatcher however.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I really don’t see that they kept the rock sound
 
  • Like
Reactions: spicy_illusion
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I really don’t see that they kept the rock sound
Well, they kept 'a rock sound' but it's not the same as it was before.
Even in Scream, you can hear bits of rock in it, but it's certainly not metal or even heavy rock lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread