Dreamcatcher have got lazy with their MV's :( (1 Viewer)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
The past few Dreamcatcher MV's, I have noticed something about them...they have got lazy and low budget.
This is quite concerning and I'm just wondering if they are doing it because they genuinely don't have the money or they are actually getting lazy?
I was discussing this topic with @goyo a few days ago.

Sometimes, as a fan, you have to point out where the group or artist, etc, is going wrong.
Let me show you what I mean by showing you the quality MV's and then the not so quality MV's and when I mean quality, it doesn't have to be a lot in it to look good.

July 7th MV:


What:


Wonderland:


What makes you beautiful:


You and I:



So, these are the kind of MV's that I find more quality, I find them to be fun, more effort put into it, more care, etc, these are the types of MV's I love from the girls.
Now, let's look at the most recent MV's where I think they are getting lazy and look like they are of a lower budget.

And there was no one left (This MV is not so bad as it is a slower song and they are not doing much anyway, but I still felt they could have done much more to it):


PIRI (Yes, I know that it's probably not really lazy, maybe just short of ideas? But as a title track and since all of the other title track MV's were of high quality, PIRI was definitely the worst by a long shot):


Over The Sky (This is the MV which got me thinking of how the quality of the MV's have been recently been going downhill):


I'm really hoping that their next comeback they will bring in the quality MV's again and hope they won't carry on being lazy and low budget.
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I see it like you. There defently is a change noticeable. They really need to go big for the next comeback
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I see it like you. There defently is a change noticeable. They really need to go big for the next comeback
Me too! For me, I either want them to do a quality MV or don't do an MV at all.
It just lowers their credibility and it makes the directors/writers etc seem bored.
 
  • Like
Reactions: yeji
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
3,675
Reactions Received
13,340
Location
Idol Hell
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
In my opinion, Piri is just minimalistic. I think they purposely shot it that way, in black and white colors, perhaps because that was the concept? I think what they were going for is "End of Nightmare" right? So I'm thinking it was supposed to symbolize Dreamcatcher exiting the Dreamworld and returning back to the black and white every day world. So while it doesn't look as good as their other MV's, I think it was more of an artistic choice than laziness.

As for the other ones you mentioned... you can definitely see the drop in quality for sure. For the first one, there's only one set and a lot of the shots are pretty standard. For the third one, I don't think it's filmed badly, and it could make a nice choreography video, but they could have chosen a way better set and lighting for it.

I think the problem they're having is that they still want to create MV's for the b-sides, which Dreamcatcher does a lot, more than many other groups, but they simply don't want to spend as much money as they used to, which gives a shitty result, and makes it seem lazy and without effort. I think the solution to this is to: 1) slow down on how many MV's they're making. I think it would better to only make one quality one every once in a while rather than a lot of low quality MV's. And 2) if they want to still deliver a lot of content, they should just make dance practice videos! They don't always have to look shitty. A lot of dance practice videos can actually be shot really thoughtfully and have good lighting, such as:



(the prime example of a good dance practice; they use a lot of creative shots and it looks good)




(this isn't even particularly thoughtful or anything; it just has a couple of moving shots but it still is interesting to watch and is a nice video.)
 

mirella

✧✦ soloist akgae ✦✧
.
Joined
9 November 2018
Messages
1,859
Reactions Received
13,182
Location
Pacifika
Website
www.last.fm
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
EXO-L?
Gender
Female
Ship
Wreck
I don't think they're skimping on funds, as they wouldn't have invested in prior MVs. While I do see the 'minimalistic' appeal of Piri, I felt they could have gone much farther with it as it almost comes off as uncreative. I find it pretty visually appealing though.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
In my opinion, Piri is just minimalistic. I think they purposely shot it that way, in black and white colors, perhaps because that was the concept? I think what they were going for is "End of Nightmare" right? So I'm thinking it was supposed to symbolize Dreamcatcher exiting the Dreamworld and returning back to the black and white every day world. So while it doesn't look as good as their other MV's, I think it was more of an artistic choice than laziness.

As for the other ones you mentioned... you can definitely see the drop in quality for sure. For the first one, there's only one set and a lot of the shots are pretty standard. For the third one, I don't think it's filmed badly, and it could make a nice choreography video, but they could have chosen a way better set and lighting for it.

I think the problem they're having is that they still want to create MV's for the b-sides, which Dreamcatcher does a lot, more than many other groups, but they simply don't want to spend as much money as they used to, which gives a shitty result, and makes it seem lazy and without effort. I think the solution to this is to: 1) slow down on how many MV's they're making. I think it would better to only make one quality one every once in a while rather than a lot of low quality MV's. And 2) if they want to still deliver a lot of content, they should just make dance practice videos! They don't always have to look shitty. A lot of dance practice videos can actually be shot really thoughtfully and have good lighting, such as:



(the prime example of a good dance practice; they use a lot of creative shots and it looks good)




(this isn't even particularly thoughtful or anything; it just has a couple of moving shots but it still is interesting to watch and is a nice video.)
I think you're right in saying Piri was meant to be shot that way and for me, compared to their other title track MV's, it is way below the other MV's, but that is just how I feel about it. I do agree that it was more of an artistic choice than laziness as I don't think it's lazy at all.

Like I said on the first one, it's not actually as bad as the 3rd video since they are not doing that much in it, but if they are going to make an MV out of the song, I would like it to be as good or not much worse than their other MV's they have done and like I have said before, if they can't make a good video, then don't do one at all and save more money for a better MV.

Oh I know what you mean about choreography videos and the videos you posted is exactly what I would love more of from them. So far they have 2 anniversary fan songs, one of them is Full Moon and the other is Over The Sky. The Full Moon song, they have a choreography video for it like you posted with Loona and CLC:


Over the Sky:


Can you see the difference in quality? I would prefer to see more of Full Moon than Over The Sky videos.

I disagree on And There Was No One Left, personally. I thought it was a really unique and tasteful video. But that's just me c: Piri did have less going on, but I think that works since it's supposed to be the end of the story, so it should be more minimalistic, I think. Actually, now that I said that, that's probably why ATWNOL's video was like that too. But the point being, I see this as a matter of artistic choices, not laziness.

I agree when it comes to Over the Sky, though. That video really soured everything they were trying to do. I couldn't enjoy it at all.

It's possible they may be saving up for higher-costing productions in the future too. So it could be laziness, careful planning, artistic choices, some weird combination of the three... I dunno. But hopefully the next MV will be to everyone's liking!
Well, I loved the song of And there was no one left, but the MV not so much, so it might just be personal taste.

The thing is with Over The Sky, we waited months for them to do a choreography video like they did with Full Moon, but it was disappointing.

Well, not everyone will like what they put out, all we want is the quality MV's that we know they can put out and if they can't do that, then don't put one out at all.
 
  • Like
Reactions: username1 and yeji
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I don't think they're skimping on funds, as they wouldn't have invested in prior MVs. While I do see the 'minimalistic' appeal of Piri, I felt they could have gone much farther with it as it almost comes off as uncreative. I find it pretty visually appealing though.
I pretty much doubt that too, I think the company is paying the girls well now because Dreamcatcher is making them a profit.
That's how I feel with Piri, they could have gone much more to it, especially since it's meant to be the end of the nightmare story, but still, I can't complain too much with Piri.

I’d much rather they save for bigger budget mvs for title tracks, than numerous lower quality ones for b-sides.
Yes, exactly my thinking. they are much capable of doing so much more than the 'Over the sky' MV. The outfits, the setting, the lighting etc was their worst yet.
 
Joined
1 March 2019
Messages
6,661
Reactions Received
14,598
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Fandom
HoeForUmin
Gender
Female
Pronouns
She/Her
Yes, exactly my thinking. they are much capable of doing so much more than the 'Over the sky' MV. The outfits, the setting, the lighting etc was their worst yet.
I mean I understand that they want to keep momentum, but you can do that just as easily and more cost effective by doing on location dance mvs.
 
Joined
24 February 2019
Messages
8,028
Reactions Received
19,590
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Ship
I absolutely love Piri mv. For There was no one left, I agree even if I can see the interest of the mv but Over the sky is definitely not great. With the same amount of money they could have done better for the clothes for example.
 
  • Like
Reactions: spicy_illusion
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I mean I understand that they want to keep momentum, but you can do that just as easily and more cost effective by doing on location dance mvs.
Yes, definitely! If you compare OTS to Full Moon, there is a big difference in quality even though both MV's are pretty simple.

I absolutely love Piri mv. For There was no one left, I agree even if I can see the interest of the mv but Over the sky is definitely not great. With the same amount of money they could have done better for the clothes for example.
Yes, the clothes! I mean, they look good in suits as has been proven with their black and white suits they wore, but the clothes for the Over The Sky MV were really not fitting for mv, it just didn't go together.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread