Even though K-pop is quite homophobic and doesn't usually do much for LGBTQ, why do you think it's extremely popular between LGBTQ? (3 Viewers)

Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
For an industry that is still pretty conservative around LGBTQ issues, why do you think there are still so many LGBTQ people who are still so interested in it?

If you think about it, it's kinda baffling at how many LGBT people still love it, yet it's very rarely aimed for them.

So what do you think it is that makes K-pop still so popular to LGBTQ people?
Is it hope? Or do we just enjoy it? Is it the fact that we hope one day K-pop will also cater for LGBT? Or is it many factors?
 

Abeamus

.
.
Joined
19 February 2019
Messages
74,193
Reactions Received
76,667
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
188,512
Ship
Wreck
Same reason other people do I guess, I don't think it really offers anything different to people who aren't than it does to people who are.

Even though Korea isn't open to the idea, there isn't any issues that I can remember when it comes to it with Kpop so there isn't a reason to feel alienated from it.
 

blueberries

Fleshy fruit
.
Joined
17 November 2018
Messages
15,240
Reactions Received
46,642
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
I don't know if kpop is homophobic, well maybe I'm thinking different factors than you with that. Cause lot of idols supports LGBT+, some are even vocal about it and there is some songs and mv's with LGBT+ themes. However i think the society and industry around is bit homophobic which is why LGBT+ celebrities aren't usually accepted in Korea- the higher ups won't hire them and some fans even might be against it and stop supporting the group.
 
Joined
27 May 2019
Messages
99
Reactions Received
334
Location
Baekhyun's gaming suitcase
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Kpop is popular for its visual and fanservice not for the message they spread.
People don't care as long as they get their dose of fap material.
All these doll like young girls/boys doing fanservie with the same gender without the opposite gender involved.
It appeals to both straights and gays.
 

Bom

Joined
25 May 2019
Messages
83
Reactions Received
226
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Kpop is popular for its visual and fanservice not for the message they spread.
People don't care as long as they get their dose of fap material.
All these doll like young girls/boys doing fanservie with the same gender without the opposite gender involved.
It appeals to both straights and gays.
This 100%!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Willow and yeji

JakeyWantsCakey

Stan Treasure!
.
.
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
9,507
Reactions Received
26,077
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Male
The industry is not homophobic. The country is conservative.
This is what I was about to say if you really think about it there is A LOT of idols that support the LGBTQ+ community and I have to disagree with what you said about it not being aimed at us. Look at LOONA as an example, they built the majority of their fandom by targeting a queer audience. I think in the past, same sex fan service was primarily to exploit straight people's fetishisation of gayness but I think in recent years, we've seen a shift where queer themes have started to get more broadly incorporated in Kpop aesthetics. K-entertainment companies have at the very least, started to recognise the business potential in targeting the LGBTQ+ community internationally.

In the last couple of years we've seen industry leaders like SM Entertainment continuously show aspects of queer life and culture in their MVs even in the face of criticism from the Korean public. Just yesterday, Sunmi, out of the biggest solo acts in the genre, stood on stage and said out load that she was LGBT and whether that was an actual coming out or just a misspoken show of support, it still shows an IMMENSE amount of progress within the industry that she felt comfortable saying that at all!
 

yeji

❧@bulletproof is the noora to my eva
.
.
.
Joined
9 October 2018
Messages
50,688
Reactions Received
142,435
Location
loonaverse into the cosmic world & flover garden ღ
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
134
Fandom
arianator
Gender
Female
Pronouns
she/her
Ship
Wreck
I think it's just about the country itself.
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
I don't know if kpop is homophobic, well maybe I'm thinking different factors than you with that. Cause lot of idols supports LGBT+, some are even vocal about it and there is some songs and mv's with LGBT+ themes. However i think the society and industry around is bit homophobic which is why LGBT+ celebrities aren't usually accepted in Korea- the higher ups won't hire them and some fans even might be against it and stop supporting the group.
Where did I say K-pop is homophobic?
 
Joined
22 February 2019
Messages
5,686
Reactions Received
16,237
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
A lot stuff in history hasn't been aimed at LGBT+ people but has still become popular with us.

Its just one of those things I guess that we take up lol
 
Joined
21 February 2019
Messages
8,353
Reactions Received
27,110
Location
UK
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
528
Fandom
MY
Gender
Other
Literally in the thread title.
Oh yes, so I did, sorry lol
Still if you think about it, it is kinda homophobic, that's why I put 'quite homophobic'.
I would say the industry itself is homophobic but not really the artists inside the industry.
 
Joined
4 June 2019
Messages
37
Reactions Received
181
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gender
Female
Music connects and LGBTQ's are humans like anyone else. The music industry ain't homophobic koreans are just very conservative.
 
Joined
6 September 2018
Messages
1,873
Reactions Received
6,954
Cards
View Profile
KS Coins
0
Gay baiting. You dont see all the "____ being gay for 5 minutes" or "____ panicked gays vs confident gays" videos?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Viewing thread